By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Virtual console game prices need to be halved!

Virtual console game prices need to be halved!

I think the current price is fine 26 32.50%

They should be half of what they are now 36 45.00%

they should be less than half 18 22.50%

Total:80

VC and their physical counterparts are both overpriced.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

Around the Network

I don't agree for two reasons:

1. Lots of VC games are totally worth it. Those that aren't, I simply don't buy.

2. Cutting the VC price would undercut WiiWare prices. Creators of new content have a hard enough time competing with some of the best games in history without getting into a price war with content that has long since paid for production.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

famousringo said:

2. Cutting the VC price would undercut WiiWare prices. Creators of new content have a hard enough time competing with some of the best games in history without getting into a price war with content that has long since paid for production.

Competition is good for the industry, if we lessen competition then they have less incentive to create better games.  If the only way they can get their games to sell is because they're cheaper than a game that was made 30 years ago then they've just made a sorry excuse for a game.

So far I've bought Bit.trip.beat/core/void and will get runner and fate when it releases, pokemon rumble, and tales of monkey island chapter 1.  VC wise I've only bought Sin and punishment, personally I feel like WW has been endorsed enough and it's time for a price cut in VC.

I think N64 games are reasonably priced. But 8 - 16 bit titles are too expensive.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Armads said:
famousringo said:

Competition is good for the industry, if we lessen competition then they have less incentive to create better games.  If the only way they can get their games to sell is because they're cheaper than a game that was made 30 years ago then they've just made a sorry excuse for a game.

So far I've bought Bit.trip.beat/core/void and will get runner and fate when it releases, pokemon rumble, and tales of monkey island chapter 1.  VC wise I've only bought Sin and punishment, personally I feel like WW has been endorsed enough and it's time for a price cut in VC.

That's nice, but you're only one person. It's been a long time since the last Channel Surfing article came out, but you can see the trend clearly in this year-old article:

http://gamrfeed.vgchartz.com/story/4790/channel-surfing-wiiwarevirtual-console-sales-chart-july-2009/

At the prices that you're protesting, VC has several million-sellers, while the most popular WiiWare games struggle to earn more than 250k downloads. A VC price cut would lead to millions more downloads of classic Zelda and Mario games instead of Bit.Trip games and World of Goo. People only have so much money and so much time to game, and it would be a betrayal if Nintendo were to to undercut WiiWare developers like you're proposing.

At least, that's certainly how WiiWare developers would feel. Why not go to XBLA or the App Store where there isn't a selection of top-quality first party software at bargain prices that you have to compete with?

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing

Around the Network
famousringo said:
Armads said:
famousringo said:

That's nice, but you're only one person. It's been a long time since the last Channel Surfing article came out, but you can see the trend clearly in this year-old article:

http://gamrfeed.vgchartz.com/story/4790/channel-surfing-wiiwarevirtual-console-sales-chart-july-2009/

At the prices that you're protesting, VC has several million-sellers, while the most popular WiiWare games struggle to earn more than 250k downloads. A VC price cut would lead to millions more downloads of classic Zelda and Mario games instead of Bit.Trip games and World of Goo. People only have so much money and so much time to game, and it would be a betrayal if Nintendo were to to undercut WiiWare developers like you're proposing.

At least, that's certainly how WiiWare developers would feel. Why not go to XBLA or the App Store where there isn't a selection of top-quality first party software at bargain prices that you have to compete with?

That article is misleading because the charts are for top monthly sales not total. IGN shows that VC is only slightly ahead of WW in sales, with a lead by $7 million http://wii.ign.com/articles/107/1071420p1.html

Edit: Oh and world of goo is the 2nd best selling downloadable game on Nintendos shop channel

"2. World of Goo (2D Boy, WiiWare) - $4,800,000 ($15.00)"

I have chosen the thrid opction because i dont have any money :(

MY ZELDA COLLECTION

i actually think the games are of a great value. Madworld is 10 dollars because the game failed to make a good impression, many people wanted to get rid of the game, and thus they flooded the used game market - driving the price down to rock bottom. Virtual console games are already sold for dirt cheap prices.

The only game I bought which I felt ripped off with is Urban Champion, but most games I got I felt as though they were a great bargain. I would pay a lot more than going rates for some of the games that have yet to be released: Earthbound, Soul Blazer, Illusion of Time/Gaia, Terranigma, E.V.O., etc..... I can't tell you how many hours of joy I got out of Uncharted Waters 2.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Yes and no...

As noted, compared to buying physical copies many are well worth the price.   However, most of VC games could be easily emulated and are probably free on PC if you're willing to do the work to find them.   Also it's nearly pure profit being made on VC games as there's virtually no production, distribution or marketing costs, where as WW titles have significant production and occasionally marketing costs (nothing compared to full retail but still) and they sell for about the same price which is ridiculous.

On the flip side, dropping VC prices would certainly hurt WW sales, heck, retail sales too, people only have so much time to play.

What I would like to see is Nintendo do some promotions with VC.   Say, 1 free VC game with every 3 WW titles purchased (or could be 3 VC but let's help small developers out here), or a one time use code for a free copy of VC Super Metroid with the purchase of Metroid:Other M.

A promotional sale on VC games, well marketed to draw the casual audiences attention to it (and ww) could do wonders too.   All VC games 1/2 price for one week, or certain titles on sale for a set period.

Steam has shown time and again a lot of money can be made from doing 1/2 price/80% off, sales on old games.  Nintendo should take note.

Armads said:
famousringo said:
Armads said:
famousringo said:

That article is misleading because the charts are for top monthly sales not total. IGN shows that VC is only slightly ahead of WW in sales, with a lead by $7 million http://wii.ign.com/articles/107/1071420p1.html

Edit: Oh and world of goo is the 2nd best selling downloadable game on Nintendos shop channel

"2. World of Goo (2D Boy, WiiWare) - $4,800,000 ($15.00)"

You're not really refuting my point. As you point out, VC is already a larger market than WiiWare at prices which you consider to be outrageous. If Nintendo slashed prices on VC games in half, bringing non-participants like yourself into the VC market and stimulating more purchases from active VC buyers, it's only going to swell the size of the VC market and draw people away from WiiWare games.

It would be great for the consumer, and might even be good for Nintendo's direct revenues, but it would be lousy for small developers. Nintendo cares about those small developers.