By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft to increase price of Xbox Live Gold

Scoobes said:
ironman said:

Dude, I've used Steam, it's buggy as heck, it's slow, and it slowed my PC WAY down.

I'm gonna guess you either have a slow computer or tried it out a good few years ago. There have been many updates to Steam which have not only added features but made it less process intense and buggy.

lol, yes to both.

Past Avatar picture!!!

Don't forget your helmet there, Master Chief!

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

I like how PC and its unbeatable value and offer width make Mr Puggsly feel so butthurt and sour grapes!   

Well I take advantage of those deals as well. I have a nice collection of games on Steam.

But lets face it, its a reflection the piracy problem.

Well, I'm not blind, PC has its fair share of problems, but so have consoles too. And don't forget that should console producers start an early HW release war, like the one MS tried ending prematurely XB1 (but it had no choice, to be honest), 3rd party SW producers would be hurt badly, by suboptimal growth of the user base of a console generation, by shorter duration of the optimal part of programming learning curve compared to the initial expensive and difficult part and so by bigger costs and smaller profits. PC has a continuous evolution, OTOH, it gives the problem, often big, of power whore games being bloated for most of the user base at the time of their release, but the thing is compensated by the fact that no developer is really forced to behave that way and that there aren't the problems and costs tied to generation changes. Piracy is a serious problem, but it can be partially fought with different strategies, and it didn't kill PC world even when it was smaller and weaker than now. Finally, there always were and always will be developers and publishers that get crushed in both worlds.

Edit: BTW, like inronman, I'm one of those that tried Steam ages ago, when it was buggy as hell, I uninstalled it, I didn't try it anymore and I don't even remember my account name, I find good PC offers elsewhere and in different ways.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Alby_da_Wolf said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

I like how PC and its unbeatable value and offer width make Mr Puggsly feel so butthurt and sour grapes!   

Well I take advantage of those deals as well. I have a nice collection of games on Steam.

Well, I'm not blind, PC has its fair share of problems, but so have consoles too. And don't forget that should console producers start an early HW release war, like the one MS tried ending prematurely XB1 (but it had no choice, to be honest), 3rd party SW producers would be hurt badly, by suboptimal growth of the user base of a console generation, by shorter duration of the optimal part of programming learning curve compared to the initial expensive and difficult part and so by bigger costs and smaller profits. PC has a continuous evolution, OTOH, it gives the problem, often big, of power whore games being bloated for most of the user base at the time of their release, but the thing is compensated by the fact that no developer is really forced to behave that way and that there aren't the problems and costs tied to generation changes. Piracy is a serious problem, but it can be partially fought with different strategies, and it didn't kill PC world even when it was smaller and weaker than now. Finally, there always were and always will be developers and publishers that get crushed in both worlds.

Edit: BTW, like inronman, I'm one of those that tried Steam ages ago, when it was buggy as hell, I uninstalled it, I didn't try it anymore and I don't even remember my account name, I find good PC offers elsewhere and in different ways.

Value is subject to a person't interpritation of it. I can't stand playing games with a keyboard and a mouse, so PC gaming is not a good value for me, wheras Shio and his ilk find great vaqlue in it because they enjoy the mouse/keyboard combo.  Anyway, I used Steam about a year ago to download America's Army...which my PC wouldn't play anyway, so, what does that tell you? lol

Past Avatar picture!!!

Don't forget your helmet there, Master Chief!

shio said:
slowmo said:
shio said:
slowmo said:

@Shio - Until 2008 I was a PC gamer, the difference is I've seen all my friends leave the PC gaming scene to play something called MMORPG's.  PC gaming is dead as far as I'm concerned until the next generation of consoles kick in so we get some real advances in technology.  MW2 was the last straw for me and the nail in the coffin of PC gaming until someone realises they need to listen to the consumer.  Bioshock and Mass Effect have, since release, always been more expensive on Steam, it's no surprise they've suddenly dropped in price now they want to sell the sequels.  How much is Bioshock 2 and Mass Effect 2 compared to retail now?

The only games that kept me even slightly interested in gaming on my PC have been TF2, DoD:S, CS:S, L4D and COD:MW, can't see much on the horizon to change my mind at the moment and it's rather depressing.  Shame I don;t like the MMORPG or RTS genre particularly or I'd be happy I guess.

I don't mind paying for Live because it's a far superior social network than Steam and as many features I enjoy using completely integrated (unlike Steam and it's associated platform) and can be used by anyone from a child to adult (fair enough if you disagree).

Sorry to not quote you but I couldn't be bothered cutting the quote tree up.

You're not a PC Gamer. I'll tell you why:

A PC Gamer knows that MMORPGs are part of PC Gaming. Your friends didn't leave PC Gaming. I don't know why some console gamers have the need to seperate MMOs from PC Gaming.

MW2 was an exception. And because of their shitty decision, they lost costumers, their sales suffered and sold much less than COD4 did on PC.

This is what I find funny: Steam is a much better service than XBL and is entirely free. ALL Steam games ARE integrated! You can use send messages, use friends list, etc... IN ALL STEAM GAMES. Using the Steam Cloud and other features are just benefits.

Here's the best part: If you stop paying for XBL, you will lose your entire account, along with your achievements, gamerscore, etc... Steam doesn't have this problem.

Better yet, Steam has unlimited downloads, while Xbox Live has a 5 downloads limit. After 5 downloads you are forced to call Microsoft support. Funny, huh?

There's a reason why Steam is winning is flying colours in an open platform. Many reasons infact.

If I stop paying for xbox live it reverts to a silver account so I dont lose anything, that's fact.

I've never called Microsoft support and I've downloaded hundred of files, again incorrect and possibly out of date information.

If you want to call a MMORPG player, gamers, that's your perogative, I happen to think your wrong comparing a genre that rewards time played more than actual skill as a true gamers game.  No point arguing with me on this, you'll never change my opinion on the damage they've done to PC gaming.

MW2 was an exception which is why Left 4 Dead uses matchmaking too (and more in the pipeline)???

Steam has unlimited downloads if you're prepared to pay extortionate fees for new games, I agree.

Here's the best part the biggest thing Steam has going for it on the PC platform is at least I don't have to deal with bonkers DRM like I experienced with Bioshock 2 retail that meant I spent 1 hour googling answers for why the game didn't install properly.

I was a PC gamer first and foremost since the days of DR-DOS then indeed the joys of MS-DOS (mainly for memmaker), I know you don't have the credentials to judge me in this regard.

All files/games/videos have a 5 downloads limit. If you download a game you paid on XBLA, like Braid, you can only download it 5 times, then you're forced to call Microsoft support. You didn't even know that?!

I bought Half-Life for $0.99, and many other cool games for that price on Steam. I bought Mass Effect and Bioshock for $5, I bought Borderlands for $10, Witcher for $10, Mount & Blade for $7.50, Eve Online for $2, L4D2 for $13, Portal for $0, Zeno Clash with a 50% discount BEFORE IT WAS RELEASED, etc...

Last weekend I struggled to NOT buy Mount & Blade: Warband for $10. I struggle almost every week to NOT buy games on Steam. And I only buy on Steam, now imagine those PC gamers that also buy on Impulse, Gamersgate, GOG.com, Metaboli, etc...

And what the fuck are you talking about MW2?! Matchmaking?! That shows your ignorance about what why MW2 was so crushed by the PC community. The problem was not the matchmaking.... the problem was the lack of DEDICATED SERVERS!!!! And it was a piss at the modding community!!!!

No Shio, I have never downloaded anything 5 times, why would I need to as this isn't a PC I own where I have to reinstall the OS every couple of years. 

Ok let me dumb this down for you, matchmaking was used in MW2 because there was no dedicated servers.  The lack of dedicated servers is one problem, the bigger issue is taking control of hosting abilities out of the hands of the gamer, that's matchmaking.

I look all the time at stuff on Steam, shame all thats ever available is overpriced.  Perhaps you should try moving to the UK, you might understand what a pile of turd the pricing is then.  Left 4 Dead 2 is £19.99, a quick google and no shopping around brings up retail boxed copies at £12.  Modern Warfare 2 is £39.99, 30 second search online and I can buy it for £29.99.  I want to buy games and enjoy them when released not await that magic point in the year where for one day Steam's pricing actually becomes a better propostition.  Sure I will buy the odd game on Steam but it isn't the excellent value service you're portraying it for people who want the latest games at release.

slowmo said:

No Shio, I have never downloaded anything 5 times, why would I need to as this isn't a PC I own where I have to reinstall the OS every couple of years. 

Ok let me dumb this down for you, matchmaking was used in MW2 because there was no dedicated servers.  The lack of dedicated servers is one problem, the bigger issue is taking control of hosting abilities out of the hands of the gamer, that's matchmaking.

I look all the time at stuff on Steam, shame all thats ever available is overpriced.  Perhaps you should try moving to the UK, you might understand what a pile of turd the pricing is then.

Think longer term. With Steam all the games are tied to your account regardless of hardware and will always be accessible. With Live, you'll lose those games when you hit that limit, in particular on later hardware iterations... unless of course you call MS.

Also, what do you mean by taking the hosting abilities out of the players hands? Whilst the matchmaking system exists you can still host your own Left 4 Dead servers, browse and connect to your faves as far as I'm aware.

And yeah, it's the UK where developers, publishers and console manufacturers crap on us from a great height when it comes to pricing.

Around the Network
Scoobes said:
slowmo said:

I look all the time at stuff on Steam, shame all thats ever available is overpriced.  Perhaps you should try moving to the UK, you might understand what a pile of turd the pricing is then.

Think longer term. With Steam all the games are tied to your account regardless of hardware and will always be accessible. With Live, you'll lose those games when you hit that limit, in particular on later hardware iterations... unless of course you call MS.

Also, what do you mean by taking the hosting abilities out of the players hands? Whilst the matchmaking system exists you can still host your own Left 4 Dead servers, browse and connect to your faves as far as I'm aware.

And yeah, it's the UK where developers, publishers and console manufacturers crap on us from a great height when it comes to pricing.

In Left 4 Dead you can load the server browser to pick a server, that was not an intended feature of the game though.

You would not "lose" your games when you hit a limit you would contact Microsoft and they'd remove any restriction, which once again I'll add I and none of my friends who frequently buy off Live have ever hit.  This might be more of a concern if you owned a Arcade skew and were deleting titles off your memory card and downloading again.  I have always owned a 360 with a harddrive in some shape or size.

ironman said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

Value is subject to a person't interpritation of it. I can't stand playing games with a keyboard and a mouse, so PC gaming is not a good value for me, wheras Shio and his ilk find great vaqlue in it because they enjoy the mouse/keyboard combo.  Anyway, I used Steam about a year ago to download America's Army...which my PC wouldn't play anyway, so, what does that tell you? lol

Agree. Although as PC user I'm not mouse and keyboard only fan, to begin with, I bought a gaming pad that maps a subset of most used keyboard keys in a more ergonomic way, I use also a joystick and a my most recent purchase is a mid-range priced force-feedback wheel with pedals (after a totally crappy entry-level Thrustmaster one), as the joystick for my tastes isn't good for more realistic racers. BTW I came back to mouse only recently with led and laser optical ones, after years with a Logitec trackball, I couldn't stand anymore the old, unreliable and imprecise rubber ball mice. And I so hate when Windows allows install programs and DRMs to mess with system libraries and drivers, I'll have to reinstall it because it doesn't see anymore a DVD writter that works perfectly with Linux. As I wrote, I like PC, but I don't think by any means that it's perfect, there is room for improvements in every platform.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Scoobes said:
Mr Puggsly said:
shio said:
Mr Puggsly said:
shio said:

I bought Half-Life for $0.99, and many other cool games for that price on Steam. I bought Mass Effect and Bioshock for $5, I bought Borderlands for $10, Witcher for $10, Mount & Blade for $7.50, Eve Online for $2, L4D2 for $13, Portal for $0, Zeno Clash with a 50% discount BEFORE IT WAS RELEASED, etc...

Wowzers, you spend all that money! Developers must be getting rich with all your nickels and dimes!

Steam must make billions getting their share of that too...

Actually yes, somehow those PC developers are all making huge amount of revenue AND growing. New, independent developers are forming and growing on PC, while they're dying on consoles. 

How many new, independent console developers have made AAA games this generation?

You see, even though I bought The Witcher at $10 (more around $11), they made as much money as the average console developer makes from a $60 console game!! Publishers, retailers, distributors, marketing, etc... are all taking a piece of developers' money on consoles. Which is why there's so little AAA independent developers on consoles these days.

Huge amount of revenue? Probably not. Atleast not huge for major developers.

I'd be willing to agree independent developers are still going strong on PCs. They are also going strong on services like PSN and XBLA. But we both know consoles are generally the bread and butter for major and big budget releases.

Thing is, revenue is high on the consoles, yet profitability is ultimately quite low.

The costs of consoles (namely HD) games has been on the rise, yet the profit margins haven't really improved and even Activision, after MW2 was released was only just in the Black. Instead it was Blizzard with all the PC based profit that propped them up.

The costs of PC games is as low as ever (no royalties to platform holders) yet the profitability of the titles has increased due to digital download. If you have a first-party download service like EA or Valve then the profitability is even higher.

Starcraft 2 has shown it's possible for PC games to sell bucket loads, and with higher profit margins you can get your money back with lower sales than on consoles.

We are just going in circles.

You know my opinoin, I'm moving on.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

ALL Xbox Owners...

If you log into Xbox Live now and check your screens ( its stuck in on multiple menu's)   Microsoft is running a special for 33.99 for AN ENTIRE YEAR OF GOLD  as long as you sign up ( or 'extend' ) your membership before mid November..

So if you do this before the november deadline offered in the special.. you're only paying $3.33 a month !!  

M.U.G.E.N said:

Microsoft has confirmed that it will be increasing the price of Xbox Live Gold in Canada, Mexico, United Kingdom and the United States.

From November 1st 2010, the price of an annual Xbox Live Gold subscription will increase from $49.99 to $59.99 in the US. Monthly charges will also rise to $9.99, up from $7.99.

In the UK, it only appears to be the monthly cost that's set to increase, rising from £4.99 to £5.99 a month.

There's no word on a price increase for an annual Gold subscription in the UK.

"Since launching Xbox LIVE in 2002 we have continually added more content and entertainment experiences for our members, while keeping the price the same," said Microsoft's Major Nelson.

"We're confident that when the new pricing takes effect, an Xbox LIVE Gold membership will continue to offer the best value in the industry."

An annual Xbox Live Gold subscription in the UK currently costs £39.99.

A free Silver service will continue to be available.

US

Current

1M Gold:  $7.99

3M Gold:  $19.99

12M Gold:  $49.99

Starting Nov 1, 2010

1M Gold:  $9.99

3M Gold:  $24.99

12M Gold:  $59.99

UK

Current

1M Gold:  4.99 GBP

Starting Nov 1, 2010

1M Gold:  5.99 GBP

Canada

Current

1M Gold:  $8.99 CAD

Starting Nov 1, 2010

1M Gold:  $9.99 CAD

Mexico

Current

12M Gold:  499 Pesos

Starting Nov 1, 2010

12M Gold:  599 Pesos

Source

ALL Xbox Owners...

If you log into Xbox Live now and check your screens ( its stuck in on multiple menu's)   Microsoft is running a special for 33.99 for AN ENTIRE YEAR OF GOLD  as long as you sign up ( or 'extend' ) your membership before November..

So if you do this before the november deadline offered in the special.. you're only paying $3.33 a month !!