By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Abbie Heppe (G4TV): Metroid: Other M is Sexist

Killiana1a said:
jarrod said:
Killiana1a said:
jarrod said:
Killiana1a said:

Samus has faced Ridley how many times now? Twice? So why did Sakamoto go and make her have a PTSD flashback?

Because she thought he was dead actually.  And from the manga (and implied in the cutscene flashback) Ridley terrorized her as a child, and Samus literally fears Ridley.  There's an element of shock here, and element of phobia, and maybe the team could be at fault for getting that across properly... but having a character break down for 30 seconds is sexism? Inappropriately misusing the term, as it's clearly being here, fundamentally devalues it. And in an industry that is seriously rife with legitimate sexism that too often goes overlooked or unsaid, I'd say that's even doubly sinful, especially when we're talking about a series that was arguably one of the standard bearers and trailblazers for positive female characters.  Even games like Tomb Raider or Street Fighter II were more exploitative than this is.

I have yet to remember games where my male protagonist broke down in a PTSD flashback.

Yes, thanks for bringing up the history that those of us who do not read the manga, but play the games do not know. Sakamoto should have done more backstory in Metroid, Metroid 2, Super Metroid and all of Metroid Prime to show us why Samus had this breakdown.

Sakamoto's fault entirely. I don't blame Team Ninja as Metroid is Sakamoto's baby.

Tomb Raider and Street Fighter can be overlooked as just another game by the boys for the boys. Metroid: Other M tries to take Samus seriously and in doing so, it appears as if it's characterization of Samus is hitting on the core of her womanhood by having her cower.

If she faced her childhood fears twice in Ridley, then why did Sakamoto have Samus breakdown during the third time? Doesn't make sense.

I haven't either, but PTSD doesn't exactly gel with juvenile male power fantasy, so I'm not exactly surprised.  Then again, I tend to shy away from action/hero/war/fantasy games, and the games I do enjoy tend not to deal with scenarios where PTSD would be a likely element.  A 30 second freakout just doesn't seem like a such a big deal to me though, and certainly not sexist.  A male would fit into the exact same scene, identically as presented even, and no one would ever say that.

Also, Sakamoto didn't work on Metroid 2 or the Primes, just the original, Super, Fusion and Zero Mission.  8-16bit cartridge games don't exactly give all that much room for narrative excess, though he did consult heavily on the mangas, which Nintendo considers canon.  They should probably release them here honestly, they're not bad fanservice.

'By the boys, for the boys' is probably the worst excuse I've ever heard for the permissive sexism this industry is plagued with.  That sort of boys club mentality is precisely the problem.

And as far as the freakout itself, Samus thought she'd killed Ridley and blew up the planet he was on.  In the manga he'd told her as a child he can escape death by consuming the flesh of others, the realization of that being true likely just heightened the shock and may have helped trigger the response.  That's how PTSD works, it's not predictable, and anything could trigger it really.  Plus it's also not like we really saw Samus response one way or the other in Metroid 1 or 3, though she did also inexplicably pause for several seconds when first encountering Ridley in Super Metroid , which allowed him to roid-nap the baby and take it off the space station.  Perhaps that was the 16bit portrayal of shock/hesitation/panic/PTSD? 

"By the boys, for the boys" is expected. Do you expect all female characters in video games to be wearing Hillary Clinton pant suits?

Likewise, where is the backlash against male protagonists  who are utterly absurd caricatures? Funny how no one bitches about Marcus Fenix having hands bigger than his head, Kratos depicting males as steroid popping psychopaths, the Mafia series pushing male Italian stereotypes, and on.

In terms of realistic depictions of the sexes, video games hasve never been kind and have a bad habit of making caricatures of both sexes.

As for the manga, there are many who could care less. Videogames are still considered a niche, nerdy hobby. Comic books the same way. Manga is an extreme niche hobby up there with ham radio operation.

Players only care about canon consistency from game-to-game. The rest is just details.

If Yoshio Sakamoto was going to introduce canon from the manga, the least he could do is let us know. Why I am so pissed and others are too is Sakamoto pulling a rabbit out of his hat with Samus having PTSD moments that none of us who played from Metroid through Metroid Prime expected.

Sorry I'm not getting between you two but that line was just so hilarious I had to make a comment, Manga is serious business in Japan, in Japan manga, video games, and anime are all really big, hell the voice actors for anime and video games are celebs, it might be niche in the west but in Japan it's big business and that alone dwarfs ham radio operators.

For the canon bit in manga... look no further than Square Enix, there are a crap load of manga and books all canon into the stories, one being a long standing series called Kingdom Hearts, in KH if you just didn't want to play the poor games in the series like Chain of Memories you could read the manga it explains everything, otherwise Kingdom Hearts 2 makes a lot less sense, and hell that game was panned for its story too cause people didn't play Chain of Memories or read the manga

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Around the Network
MaxwellGT2000 said:
Killiana1a said:
jarrod said:
Killiana1a said:
jarrod said:
Killiana1a said:

Samus has faced Ridley how many times now? Twice? So why did Sakamoto go and make her have a PTSD flashback?

Because she thought he was dead actually.  And from the manga (and implied in the cutscene flashback) Ridley terrorized her as a child, and Samus literally fears Ridley.  There's an element of shock here, and element of phobia, and maybe the team could be at fault for getting that across properly... but having a character break down for 30 seconds is sexism? Inappropriately misusing the term, as it's clearly being here, fundamentally devalues it. And in an industry that is seriously rife with legitimate sexism that too often goes overlooked or unsaid, I'd say that's even doubly sinful, especially when we're talking about a series that was arguably one of the standard bearers and trailblazers for positive female characters.  Even games like Tomb Raider or Street Fighter II were more exploitative than this is.

I have yet to remember games where my male protagonist broke down in a PTSD flashback.

Yes, thanks for bringing up the history that those of us who do not read the manga, but play the games do not know. Sakamoto should have done more backstory in Metroid, Metroid 2, Super Metroid and all of Metroid Prime to show us why Samus had this breakdown.

Sakamoto's fault entirely. I don't blame Team Ninja as Metroid is Sakamoto's baby.

Tomb Raider and Street Fighter can be overlooked as just another game by the boys for the boys. Metroid: Other M tries to take Samus seriously and in doing so, it appears as if it's characterization of Samus is hitting on the core of her womanhood by having her cower.

If she faced her childhood fears twice in Ridley, then why did Sakamoto have Samus breakdown during the third time? Doesn't make sense.

I haven't either, but PTSD doesn't exactly gel with juvenile male power fantasy, so I'm not exactly surprised.  Then again, I tend to shy away from action/hero/war/fantasy games, and the games I do enjoy tend not to deal with scenarios where PTSD would be a likely element.  A 30 second freakout just doesn't seem like a such a big deal to me though, and certainly not sexist.  A male would fit into the exact same scene, identically as presented even, and no one would ever say that.

Also, Sakamoto didn't work on Metroid 2 or the Primes, just the original, Super, Fusion and Zero Mission.  8-16bit cartridge games don't exactly give all that much room for narrative excess, though he did consult heavily on the mangas, which Nintendo considers canon.  They should probably release them here honestly, they're not bad fanservice.

'By the boys, for the boys' is probably the worst excuse I've ever heard for the permissive sexism this industry is plagued with.  That sort of boys club mentality is precisely the problem.

And as far as the freakout itself, Samus thought she'd killed Ridley and blew up the planet he was on.  In the manga he'd told her as a child he can escape death by consuming the flesh of others, the realization of that being true likely just heightened the shock and may have helped trigger the response.  That's how PTSD works, it's not predictable, and anything could trigger it really.  Plus it's also not like we really saw Samus response one way or the other in Metroid 1 or 3, though she did also inexplicably pause for several seconds when first encountering Ridley in Super Metroid , which allowed him to roid-nap the baby and take it off the space station.  Perhaps that was the 16bit portrayal of shock/hesitation/panic/PTSD? 

"By the boys, for the boys" is expected. Do you expect all female characters in video games to be wearing Hillary Clinton pant suits?

Likewise, where is the backlash against male protagonists  who are utterly absurd caricatures? Funny how no one bitches about Marcus Fenix having hands bigger than his head, Kratos depicting males as steroid popping psychopaths, the Mafia series pushing male Italian stereotypes, and on.

In terms of realistic depictions of the sexes, video games hasve never been kind and have a bad habit of making caricatures of both sexes.

As for the manga, there are many who could care less. Videogames are still considered a niche, nerdy hobby. Comic books the same way. Manga is an extreme niche hobby up there with ham radio operation.

Players only care about canon consistency from game-to-game. The rest is just details.

If Yoshio Sakamoto was going to introduce canon from the manga, the least he could do is let us know. Why I am so pissed and others are too is Sakamoto pulling a rabbit out of his hat with Samus having PTSD moments that none of us who played from Metroid through Metroid Prime expected.

Sorry I'm not getting between you two but that line was just so hilarious I had to make a comment, Manga is serious business in Japan, in Japan manga, video games, and anime are all really big, hell the voice actors for anime and video games are celebs, it might be niche in the west but in Japan it's big business and that alone dwarfs ham radio operators.

For the canon bit in manga... look no further than Square Enix, there are a crap load of manga and books all canon into the stories, one being a long standing series called Kingdom Hearts, in KH if you just didn't want to play the poor games in the series like Chain of Memories you could read the manga it explains everything, otherwise Kingdom Hearts 2 makes a lot less sense, and hell that game was panned for its story too cause people didn't play Chain of Memories or read the manga

My point of contention is not with manga itself, rather Yoshio Sakamoto taking canon from manga and inputting it into the latest Metroid game as if everyone who plays Metroid read the manga all along.

The least he could do is warn us and take it a step further by having an introduction cutscene introduce the manga canon into the series for the players who have not read any of the manga.

Players are pissed because the use of manga canon is the equivalent of  plot twist, pulling a rabbit out of the hat, or trick. Suprises are nice, but when it concerns the core of the main character's personality, then there needs to be an ingame explanation for it.

Killiana1a said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
Killiana1a said:
jarrod said:
Killiana1a said:
jarrod said:
Killiana1a said:

My point of contention is not with manga itself, rather Yoshio Sakamoto taking canon from manga and inputting it into the latest Metroid game as if everyone who plays Metroid read the manga all along.

The least he could do is warn us and take it a step further by having an introduction cutscene introduce the manga canon into the series for the players who have not read any of the manga.

Players are pissed because the use of manga canon is the equivalent of  plot twist, pulling a rabbit out of the hat, or trick. Suprises are nice, but when it concerns the core of the main character's personality, then there needs to be an ingame explanation for it.

Uh nothing in the game requires knowledge of the manga, everything is in line with her character, as she's been a caring character the entire series, and Adam is a character from the series she talks about him a lot in Fusion... in the past tense... but it was obvious he meant a lot to her.  

The manga just helps more.  For more obvious reasons Samus would have a problem with the pirate that killed her parents and terrorized her all her life, just like Batman goes into a fit whenever you bring up his dead parents.  Really the people bringing up this bullshit about her character didn't pay attention to the series' story at all, nor using common sense from a character development standpoint, they just played the Metroid games for being damn good adventure games and filled in Samus' character in their head, basically being an character that is pure badass and no part human.

Person terrorized since childhood by a large monster will develop mental issues, you can fear things to the point you strike out in rage IE you fear spiders to the point you kill any spider you see cause you "hate" them.  Person idolizes a superior officer who took the place of their father figure (explained within the first 30 minutes of the game) and is willing to take orders from him because he is that father figure and perhaps even love interest. 

In the end I don't want to get into this stupid trivial debate cause this G4 review is outright wrong and to be quite honest stupid.  The people that are supporting it largely know nothing of the series so it's sorta funny how they're the only ones supporting rubbish reviews, I know the reason is people have their camps and when one camp, here being mistaken as the "Wii camp", they gotta jump in and defend the review cause it seems like a bunch of people are ganging up for no reason, some are there will always be those folks, but largely it's Metroid fans that actually know the lore and know it's well within the character.  Voice acting could be better, I'm not bothered by it, and the style the story is told in doesn't help, but the game as a game is pretty great and the story helps more than the way it's told hurts.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Rhonin the wizard said:
jarrod said:

In the manga Samus met Ridley, had a PSTD, was completely useless for a while, Then she got better. There is no point in portraying Samus like she goes like this every time she meets Ridley, otherwise she should have died in Metroid 1.

The reason for this maybe because he tried to kill her as a kid. Think about how Harry Potter reacts to seeing Voldermort throughout all the books even when it wasn't really him. YEa he talks the talk and says his name when no one else will but he also pisses his pants whne they meet.

darkheart709 said:
KylieDog said:
Mr Khan said:

This is going to lead to some interesting things. Somebody just had their imagination of Samus trampled on, and this is the sort of reaction you get. This is what comes from defining things that were previously left to the players' imagination (though not entirely, because these elements of Samus' past have been indicated before)

Sorry but no.

They made good points with good arguments to support them.  When she has defeated Ridley multiple times already why break down and cry now?  That is retarded, as is dying from lava when your suit can protect you but don't want to offend some guy so wait for him to give the ok.

At the beginning of the game she is pretty confident that Ridley is dead, she defeated him then blew up the planet he was on. To her the nightmare that has caused her so much pain was finally gone, then she see him again alive and well. Its underatandable that she'd be upset.

Upset would be in the form of frustration, not suddently being crippled by her trauma. Plus where the hell does it indicate in that scene that she's going off of why he's still alive? That seems to be fans trying to fill in the plot hole, and the writer is supposed to do that, not the audience.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
Wagram said:

Well the people at G4TV are definitely not my friends. Adam Sessler IMO is the only good reviewer they have.

i'll second that. isn't this a different samus? the other M! the other samus. so shes not the same samus

"Samus" does not start with the letter "m."

Besides, what is G4 these days anyway?  A failed video-game based channel that now specializes on showing endless marathons of Cops broken up by the occasionaly episode of Star Trek. 

Hardly any kind of authority on video games.

Resident_Hazard said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
Wagram said:

Well the people at G4TV are definitely not my friends. Adam Sessler IMO is the only good reviewer they have.

i'll second that. isn't this a different samus? the other M! the other samus. so shes not the same samus

Other Metroid might be referring to Samus herself, Metroid in the Chozo language means "ultimate warrior".

Rhonin the wizard said:
Resident_Hazard said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
Wagram said:

Other Metroid might be referring to Samus herself, Metroid in the Chozo language means "ultimate warrior".

It's the same Samus--that's been said for a while.  M, for that matter, could be "Mother Brain."  Isn't anyone playing this yet?

Women are so different... Samus is perfect, but Abbie Heppe in the other hand... Jealousy

Menx64

3DS code: 1289-8222-7215

NNid: Menx064

Resident_Hazard said:
Rhonin the wizard said:
Resident_Hazard said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
Wagram said:

It's the same Samus--that's been said for a while.  M, for that matter, could be "Mother Brain."  Isn't anyone playing this yet?

I am not saying that there is a different Samus, I'm saying that Samus could be the other "ultimate warrior". I gave a different interpretation to what the M in Other M might stand for, nowhere did I state that there is a different Samus.