By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Abbie Heppe (G4TV): Metroid: Other M is Sexist

Hynad said:
-PaNdOrA- said:
Hynad said:

I find it rather laughable that anyone would tell her she doesn't know what she's talking about.  Especially since she did play the game, while most of you haven't.

It's her opinion.  She doesn't like your dream game.  Big deal.  Calling her a whore and a cunt just because she has a diverging opinion is quite sad, actually. 

Yeah, that's humanity and internet for you. :(

I did play the game and I do understand that it's her opinion. My opinion, on the other hand, is that she really doesn't know what she's talking about.

She really doesn't know? 

ould you please read this and come back after? http://gamrfeed.vgchartz.com/story/81781/too-many-gamers-are-intellectual-cowards/

Now that you did, could you elaborate further on that bold statement of yours?

Yes, I think she really doesn't.

Just like she's allowed to voice her opinion, I'm allowed to voice mine.

Around the Network
jarrod said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

"And now she's relapsed."

No, relapses do not work that way. Especially not with what Samus said in the linked pages.

There's no one way relapses work.  How about trying to explain 'why' rather than just saying 'no' and 'especially' though?

Well you can't just claim there is a relapse either. Did anyone involved in the game say she had one? If not, then your claim is meaningless.

And she's been calm under pressure too many times to just relapse this time or at random. This isn't something like a relapsing/remitting disease.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Hynad said:

I find it rather laughable that anyone would tell her she doesn't know what she's talking about.  Especially since she did play the game, while most of you haven't.

It's her opinion.  She doesn't like your dream game.  Big deal.  Calling her a whore and a cunt just because she has a diverging opinion is quite sad, actually. 

Opinion's aren't absolute, and certainly are not above criticism.  And I should preface, I have no issue with the overall review (many of the complaints seem valid, and some I'll likely agree with myself), or score (as if scores mattered in the scheme of things).  What I take extreme issue with is her labeling the portrayal of Samus as sexist.  The scenes and plot elements she points to don't support that interpretation, in the least, and I find her use of the word (which carries a certain charge, particularly within this industry, and particularly even within this series) to be at best ignorant and and worst exploitative.  And considering her inherently hypocritical take on Bayonetta, a game literally about a fetishized naked stripper witch, I feel fairly secure in saying this dumb-ass whore is a giant fucking cunt. <3

LordTheNightKnight said:
jarrod said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

"And now she's relapsed."

No, relapses do not work that way. Especially not with what Samus said in the linked pages.

There's no one way relapses work.  How about trying to explain 'why' rather than just saying 'no' and 'especially' though?

Well you can't just claim there is a relapse either. Did anyone involved in the game say she had one? If not, then your claim is meaningless.

And she's been calm under pressure too many times to just relapse this time or at random. This isn't something like a relapsing/remitting disease.

lol.  Relapse is just my interpretation, and a possible reasoning for the response.  And no, it's not like you saying "no" with not going into any further detail, especially when I was in a conversation that'd gone on length already about Samus history with Ridley, her fear of him, the stress/shock of the situation and various other context.  

This would be what, the 3rd or so time she's encountered Ridley?  Ever?  After having hunted him and thought she killed him?  The creature that terrorized her as a child and killed her mother in front of her? She can't panic after faced with that?

And relapses aren't random?  Fear isn't unpredictable?  My, my, spoken with such authority... weird like that...

-PaNdOrA- said:
Hynad said:
-PaNdOrA- said:
Hynad said:

I did play the game and I do understand that it's her opinion. My opinion, on the other hand, is that she really doesn't know what she's talking about.

She really doesn't know? 

ould you please read this and come back after? http://gamrfeed.vgchartz.com/story/81781/too-many-gamers-are-intellectual-cowards/

Is that your definition of elaboration? ¬_¬

At least, Heppe did elaborate further than the "her characterisation is sexist because I say so" part.

Just take the fact that for most, if not all of us here, Samus has always been the fearless Badass bounty Hunter. Just a quick look back in history and a few look at how many Most Badass polls she aced will give you an idea of that.

Now, they've made her into a cliché "weak female protagonist with daddy issues", as she points out.  You may nto view it like this, but from the expectations that she had, and the idea that she had of the character due to the past games in the series, this is how she saw her.  The game ruined it for her.  I'm not really surprised male gamers won't take any issues with that kind of characterisation though.

Around the Network
Hynad said:
-PaNdOrA- said:
Hynad said:
-PaNdOrA- said:
Hynad said:

She really doesn't know? 

What is there to elaborate?

She has her opinion and I have mine... that meaning I think she's wrong, as in not right :l

-PaNdOrA- said:
Hynad said:
-PaNdOrA- said:
Hynad said:
-PaNdOrA- said:
Hynad said:

She really doesn't know? 

She has her opinion and I have mine... that meaning I think she's wrong, as in not right :l

O_o

And... Why do you think she's wrong?  (seriously... ¬_¬ )

Hynad said:
-PaNdOrA- said:
Hynad said:
-PaNdOrA- said:
Hynad said:

She really doesn't know? 

At least, Heppe did elaborate further than the "her characterisation is sexist because I say so" part.

Just take the fact that for most, if not all of us here, Samus has always been the fearless Badass bounty Hunter. Just a quick look back in history and a few look at how many Most Badass polls she aced will give you an idea of that.

Now, they've made her into a cliché "weak female protagonist with daddy issues", as she points out.  You may nto view it like this, but from the expectations that she had, and the idea that she had of the character due to the past games in the series, this is how she saw her.  The game ruined it for her.  I'm not really surprised male gamers won't take any issues with that kind of characterisation though.

Hey, I'm a guy, and I think that's bullshit.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Hynad said:
-PaNdOrA- said:
Hynad said:
-PaNdOrA- said:
Hynad said:
-PaNdOrA- said:
Hynad said:

She really doesn't know? 

O_o

And... Why do you think she's wrong?  (seriously... ¬_¬ )

I don't want to point out every little thing in that review and explain why I think she's wrong.

Let's just say that I think the opposite of what she thinks in most of the review..

jarrod said:
Hynad said:

Opinion's aren't absolute, and certainly are not above criticism.  And I should preface, I have no issue with the overall review (many of the complaints seem valid, and some I'll likely agree with myself), or score (as if scores mattered in the scheme of things).  What I take extreme issue with is her labeling the portrayal of Samus as sexist.  The scenes and plot elements she points to don't support that interpretation, in the least, and I find her use of the word (which carries a certain charge, particularly within this industry, and particularly even within this series) to be at best ignorant and and worst exploitative.  And considering her inherently hypocritical take on Bayonetta, a game literally about a fetishized naked stripper witch, I feel fairly secure in saying this dumb-ass whore is a giant fucking cunt. <3

I'm getting fairly tired of you and others just lobbing the most hurtful things you can at the woman because you disagree with her.  Argue the points and stay away from throwing personal insults in an attempt to make me dissapointed with our community.