By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why PS Move will fail

Mr Khan said:

First off, Move is primarily not intended to combat Kinect at all. Move is a defensive measure against Nintendo. Move does have the advantage of servicing the existing userbase of its console far more than Kinect does, but the reason is its primarily positioned to give PS3 owners no good reason to buy a Wii (which it may or may not succeed at, since Nintendo's shown that their own motion control is often peripheral to creating killer apps), but the kind of games appearing there are to counter that, which is why we're seeing them push it in to more traditional experiences, or see EA create that exact clone experience of PGA Tour on Wii to PGA Tour here.

That's not how I see it at all. The Sixaxis was Sony's attempt to defend against Nintendo. Move is their desperate attempt to combat Kinect.

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:
Mr Khan said:

First off, Move is primarily not intended to combat Kinect at all. Move is a defensive measure against Nintendo. Move does have the advantage of servicing the existing userbase of its console far more than Kinect does, but the reason is its primarily positioned to give PS3 owners no good reason to buy a Wii (which it may or may not succeed at, since Nintendo's shown that their own motion control is often peripheral to creating killer apps), but the kind of games appearing there are to counter that, which is why we're seeing them push it in to more traditional experiences, or see EA create that exact clone experience of PGA Tour on Wii to PGA Tour here.

That's not how I see it at all. The Sixaxis was Sony's attempt to defend against Nintendo. Move is their desperate attempt to combat Kinect.

They both could have been, just that the sixaxis was a bit more of an afterthought, whereas this is a more deliberate effort to dig their heels in defensively. As much as Nintendo looks like they're in non-competition mode, they're very much after Sony's blood specifically (Microsoft is the one Nintendo ignores almost completely). The 3DS was an effort to make sure that any future handheld efforts by Sony would be irrelevant before they began, for instance (though it's up to Sony as to whether that will succeed), but Sony i think is finally getting the idea that the real threat to the PlayStation brand is Nintendo

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Slimebeast said:
Mr Khan said:

If that can make you sleep better...   ; )

Slimebeast said:
Mr Khan said:

Why is it 'desperate"? cuz it was downgraded suddenly to make it affordable? nope that was kinect

cuz it have no games? nope it has more games than kinect..and more veriety too, go check the line up

cuz it doesn't work properly? nope all hands on previews have clealrly said it works the best among the motion controllers out in the market so far..way better than kinect as of now at least

Does it not deliver on what it promised? Nope it does everything it said it would do and does them well..I can't really say the same for kinect as of now

So why? Do explain...I do not comprehend this line of thought of terms used by some of you such as 'rushed product' ...'desperate' . If anyone is bringing out such a product then it would be MS

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

I think it's going to fail in terms of getting any kind of expanded audience to the console, but it should be somewhat successful with core gamers.

An easy way to tell though will be with Move's launch.  If there are not at least an extra 350,000-450,000 PS3 consoles sold in September for Sony then in my opinion it should be deemed a failure.

Around the Network

Again, we're seeing more arbitrary use of the word "failure" here.

Nothing new of course, but success/failure still boils down to meeting SCE projections for Move peripheral units sold as well as overall projections FY 2010 for console sales, which have any beneficial sales effects of Move factored in to that number.

Anyone taking an objective view of the potential impact of Move probably agrees.

If the number is significantly lower than current projections, Move didn't help SCE hit their numbers. If they match or exceed projections, where's the failure?

Legend11 said:

I think it's going to fail in terms of getting any kind of expanded audience to the console, but it should be somewhat successful with core gamers.

An easy way to tell though will be with Move's launch.  If there are not at least an extra 350,000-450,000 PS3 consoles sold in September for Sony then in my opinion it should be deemed a failure.

What?

So it has to sell big at launch to be a success? Not in the long run?

Legend11 said:

"Extra" 350,000-450,000 ? in September Worldwide? lol, I wonder if any killer app can do that, much less an add-on. Why don't you go out right now and call it a failure 'cause that's not gonna happen! I even wonder if Gran Turismo 5 can boost PS3 above 100K extra on its debut week, but well that will happen in November so the holiday season will be kicking in as well.... get off your cloud, and Kinect won't shift that much "extra" 360s either, not a chance.

greenmedic88 said:

Again, we're seeing more arbitrary use of the word "failure" here.

Nothing new of course, but success/failure still boils down to meeting SCE projections for Move peripheral units sold as well as overall projections FY 2010 for console sales, which have any beneficial sales effects of Move factored in to that number.

Anyone taking an objective view of the potential impact of Move probably agrees.

If the number is significantly lower than current projections, Move didn't help SCE hit their numbers. If they match or exceed projections, where's the failure?

pfft why do you have to be logical and stuff in this thread :P not many are using it

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

I Don't know how many Units MOVE will Move, But I know it won't Fail me as a gamer.

Atto Suggests...:

Book - Malazan Book of the Fallen series 

Game - Metro Last Light

TV - Deadwood

Music - Forest Swords