By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why PS Move will fail

This whole post is of course IMO.

First of all Move is not that big of an innovation. Sony decided to play it safe and copy the Wiimote. Sure it is more precise, but the overall experience is not that different. Check the picture in my sig. Copying the Wii is not a bad thing anyway. It clearly outsold its competitors, so why not do what the cool guy does.

Sony is doing a big mistake with the games for the move. They are making hardcore titles move compatible. Did anyone actually ask for this? When you played Killzone 2, did you say to yourself 'Damn, I would love to play this with a device similar to the Wiimote'?

Killzone 2 players are a very hardcore audience. They play the game with the regular controller anyway. Casual players that might like the Wii don't want to play a game like Killzone 2. The same goes for Socom IV. Core titles like madworld, Conduit and others proofed that the Wii and its controlls is not the best for FPS or different core titles. It surely has its strengths in different areas and some crazy sales for some games proof that.

Sony needs to make software that is perfect for the hardware. They created a more casual device but make core-titles for it. You can say, they made the same mistake with the PSP. Outside of Japan, the PSP is not that relevant these days. Sony made and secured core titles for a handheld a lot of people wanted to play on big screen. God of War, Metal gear solid peace Walker are two perfect examples. Great games, no doubt, but they just work better on the big screen. Nintendo on the other hand did the right software for the hardware. Ninetndogs, Pokemon, Scribblenauts, Mario Kart, Brain Training work very well on a handheld, because you can play for 5 minutes, have fun, turn the device off and keep doing what you did before.

MS developed Kinect and made Casual games for it. Kinect is a casual device, and they deliver the software for it. There is nothing wrong with that. So far, Kinect is not my most wanted device ever, because I am a core gamer, but I see the potential and might pick it up as soon as core games are available. I will pick one up for my mother though. She wants to use Video on Demand and maybe she will play some titles like Yourshape or Kinect Adventures, too.

So saying Move is more a hardcore, so it will have more legs, sell more or whatever is actually not a good thing. Motion Controlls are very social and very casual, a Killzone 3 is not a game that works this way. Core player will prefer the controller (or keyboard / mouse) any day. Sony just failed to deliver the perfect software for the hardware. Nintendo and so far MS did.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Around the Network

you are worrying about sony too much , just ignore it and all its launch titles then call it a fail , and live happly ever after as a happy panda.

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

well if they copied, they sure as hell made it better.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

Sony's hand was forced to make the Move. Once we started hearing all the brouhaha about Natal, which became Kinect, Sony had to show it was jumping into the controller-free gaming market.

Imagine the market as the public swimming pool:

Nintendo showed up first, learned  to swim first, and is swimming like Michael Phelps compared to all the others.

Microsoft said, "Ooooh! Wowzers! Mommy can I learn that?! Can I, can I, can I!?" Went out got the best trainers and is now attempting to learn how to plunge into that pool in a way better than Nintendo was when Nintendo first dived in.

Sony showed up last and thought, "What a bunch of losers, I would rather be at home hanging out with my emo hipster friends listening to obscure music from a Tarantino movie and playing games no one else plays." So Sony shows up with water wings and a paddle board, jumps in and swims with this whole half-bored, "when can I go home Mom?" look.

This is my take on the Sony Move.

Killiana1a said:

Sony showed up last and thought, "What a bunch of losers, I would rather be at home hanging out with my emo hipster friends listening to obscure music from a Tarantino movie and playing games no one else plays." 

Is that how you view Sony fans? Cause that is sad if so.

I am a gamer. Not a fanboy, not a troll, a gamer. So when you dont like what I have to say, remember this fact.

Around the Network
DirtyP2002 said:

First of all Move is not that big of an innovation. Sony decided to play it safe and copy the Wiimote. Sure it is more precise, but the overall experience is not that different. Check the picture in my sig. Copying the Wii is not a bad thing anyway. It clearly outsold its competitors, so why not do what the cool guy does.

Sony is doing a big mistake with the games for the move. They are making hardcore titles move compatible. Did anyone actually ask for this? When you played Killzone 2, did you say to yourself 'Damn, I would love to play this with a device similar to the Wiimote'?

Killzone 2 players are a very hardcore audience. They play the game with the regular controller anyway.

[...]

So saying Move is more a hardcore, so it will have more legs, sell more or whatever is actually not a good thing. Motion Controlls are very social and very casual, a Killzone 3 is not a game that works this way. Core player will prefer the controller (or keyboard / mouse) any day. Sony just failed to deliver the perfect software for the hardware. Nintendo and so far MS did.

First of all, it's kind of funny if the same people who claim that Move is just an advanced "copy of the Wiimote" reject every Kinect=EyeToy comparison. There is a lot of truth to both claims.

If you only compare the Move Controller and the Wii Controller (like in your signature), then yes, except for the glowing ball the device is indeed very similar to a Wiimotion Plus. But the controller is only half of the Move hardware. The other half is a RGB camera and a multi-array microphone - which makes that half very similar to the Kinect hardware.

As many websites have pointed out, PS Move combines the best features from the Wii Remote and Kinect, making it the most versatile of the three systems:

Wiimote plus sensor bar = Acceleration Sensor Buttons infrared light source Infrared Light tracking sensor speaker

Kinect = RGB camera microphones TOF distance sensor

Move = RGB camera microphones Acceleration Sensor Gyrometers Buttons Glowing ball

You're trying to give the impression that Sony is trying to market PS Move as a "hardcore device", but that's simply wrong. There are lots of casual titles as well - the starter pack even comes bundled with one. Thing is: Unlike Kinect, PS Move CAN be used for hardcore games as well. Suggesting that nobody wants to play Killzone or Socom that way is nonsense. Using a gamepad for Shooters has never been a good solution, on the PC, nobody would even use a gamepad in a Shooter. People will love playing Shooters with PS Move.

JerzeeBalla said:
Killiana1a said:

Sony showed up last and thought, "What a bunch of losers, I would rather be at home hanging out with my emo hipster friends listening to obscure music from a Tarantino movie and playing games no one else plays." 

I am making a colorful analogy to describe each of the big 3's approach to the Blue Ocean market.

Sony in this case happens to be the cynical, half bored, too cool middle child hipster who is creating the Move for his friends. Microsoft is that overenthusiastic, adoring little brother. Nintendo is the alpha older brother who is loyal, quiet, high achieving and the apple of his mother's eye.

Killiana1a said:

Sony's hand was forced to make the Move. Once we started hearing all the brouhaha about Natal, which became Kinect, Sony had to show it was jumping into the controller-free gaming market.

Imagine the market as the public swimming pool:

Nintendo showed up first, learned  to swim first, and is swimming like Michael Phelps compared to all the others.

Microsoft said, "Ooooh! Wowzers! Mommy can I learn that?! Can I, can I, can I!?" Went out got the best trainers and is now attempting to learn how to plunge into that pool in a way better than Nintendo was when Nintendo first dived in.

Sony showed up last and thought, "What a bunch of losers, I would rather be at home hanging out with my emo hipster friends listening to obscure music from a Tarantino movie and playing games no one else plays." So Sony shows up with water wings and a paddle board, jumps in and swims with this whole half-bored, "when can I go home Mom?" look.

This is my take on the Sony Move.

That is a rather weird analogy...I somewhat agree, however.

Killiana1a said:
JerzeeBalla said:
Killiana1a said:

I am making a colorful analogy to describe each of the big 3's approach to the Blue Ocean market.

Sony in this case happens to be the cynical, half bored, too cool middle child hipster who is creating the Move for his friends. Microsoft is that overenthusiastic, adoring little brother. Nintendo is the alpha older brother who is loyal, quiet, high achieving and the apple of his mother's eye.

Sort of how MS was last gen then? Too cool for the room, so to speak?

I am a gamer. Not a fanboy, not a troll, a gamer. So when you dont like what I have to say, remember this fact.

is a gud decision. move is made to pull sales from wii, cause they will be similr now.