By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Do graphics sell hardware or games?

wii graphics - http://media.wii.ign.com/media/748/748547/img_3658646.html

Ps3 -  http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/748/748505/img_4283873.html http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/714/714044/img_3934740.html

any one thats not blind can see a big differance. 

Around the Network
PS360N64PSXBOX said:
What Louie says is absolutely true, and in my opinion, there is another point coming with this generation which makes the graphics even less important.
The Wii hasn't won yet and graphics mean more than you will admitt.
I think graphics have become good enough with the sixth generation for most of the consumers. Back in the fifth generation, the graphics really showed that they need an improvement and sometimes the gameplay was handicapped because of the graphics as well. but with the ps2, the gc and the xbox graphics have come to a point were the average consumer is happy with it. i mean, many people say that the graphic of wii sports look crappy, but no average consumer will notice
You never played a PS2.. those graphic sucked ass and had slow loading times. The graphics this gen for the 360 and PS3 have peaked. I vowed after the PS2 thing I would never buy a weak console again. The graphics were grainy on some games and it was obvious. Play RE4 on PS2 and on GC to get my point...Nasty!

i recently talked with a 14-year old boy who plans to buy a x360. i asked him why he wants it, and he answered because of its beautiful graphics. i asked him then why he don't want to buy a ps3 because it has better graphics, but he did not accept that point and said that ps3-graphics are even worse than xbox. he was not joking, he really meant it, and this proves my point. he has been told that x360 has great graphics, but he can't distinguish between xbox, x360 and ps3 graphics anymore because they all look good to him.

Most experts agree the 360 has better graphics as the power between the two systems isn't great. But I can't varify if this happen with you, so I will just pass.

1) No, the Wii hasn´t won but it sells without HD. And I just say: NES, SNES, PSX, PS2, GB, DS... and you said the PS2 graphics suck - so why did it won?

2) Graphics never meant that much but you will never notice it. You´re nearly alone with your opinion of graphics selling everything so why does Nintendo Fanboy has to admit something? you have....

3) bad graphics can´t destroy a game. Bad developed graphics can make a game bad. If you´ve got glitches over glitches in a game it´s bad - but I really like Zelda 64 more than Twilight Princess and I prefer FF7 over FF12. So what? Am I a fool now?

Hus said:

Ps3 - http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/748/748505/img_4283873.html http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/714/714044/img_3934740.html

Choice a better picture from Metroid Prime 3 that one is not fair :D

Hus said:
nintendo_fanboy said:

i recently talked with a 14-year old boy who plans to buy a x360. i asked him why he wants it, and he answered because of its beautiful graphics. i asked him then why he don't want to buy a ps3 because it has better graphics, but he did not accept that point and said that ps3-graphics are even worse than xbox. he was not joking, he really meant it, and this proves my point. he has been told that x360 has great graphics, but he can't distinguish between xbox, x360 and ps3 graphics anymore because they all look good to him.

LMFAO

is he blind or a moron ? honestly.  NO normal person could play Gears and then go back to xbox1 and say its graphics look good. 

I guess he has not seen that much of ps3 right now, and if he would play it for some hours he would probably admit that its graphics are a lot better than those of the xbox. but my point still stands, because even a person who cares about graphics has difficulty distinguishing the graphics of the consoles of sixth and seventh generation.

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

PS360N64PSXBOX said:
What Louie says is absolutely true, and in my opinion, there is another point coming with this generation which makes the graphics even less important.
The Wii hasn't won yet and graphics mean more than you will admitt.
I think graphics have become good enough with the sixth generation for most of the consumers. Back in the fifth generation, the graphics really showed that they need an improvement and sometimes the gameplay was handicapped because of the graphics as well. but with the ps2, the gc and the xbox graphics have come to a point were the average consumer is happy with it. i mean, many people say that the graphic of wii sports look crappy, but no average consumer will notice
You never played a PS2.. those graphic sucked ass and had slow loading times. The graphics this gen for the 360 and PS3 have peaked. I vowed after the PS2 thing I would never buy a weak console again. The graphics were grainy on some games and it was obvious. Play RE4 on PS2 and on GC to get my point...Nasty!

Most experts agree the 360 has better graphics as the power between the two systems isn't great. But I can't varify if this happen with you, so I will just pass.

1) Where exactly do I say the wii has already won? all i say is that graphic differences between consoles get less important.

2) I never owned a ps2, but i have played it. for me, the graphic differences between ps2 and gc don't really matter, and if i say that the average consumer does not realise the difference between ps3 and xbox, how could he realise the differences between ps2 and gc? btw, in your other post, you say: "And the PS2 was not much weaker than the GC, in fact you wouldn't notice so that is moot." so maybe you should stick with an argument and not change it from post to post, because this could make people believe that you are biased and just picking the argument out of the air which fits for you.

Around the Network

The general rule is that good games sell systems ... People do want good graphics in their games but the quality of graphics of a game is typically judged in relation to other games on the same platform; most people will not compare the graphics of a game on the Wii to the PS3.

Now, the risk associated with the PS3 is that games are more expensive to produce, and have longer development times which means unless they have more publishers working on their platform (and they have more users to buy games) they're going to have less games available; at the same time it is selling poorly and has a massive price tag that keeps consumers away, which means publishers should be reconsidering how much support the PS3 really should get.

Videogames are one of those self justifying cycles in that people buy a platform because they think it will have the best games, developers focus on that platform because it has sold the most units, and the system has more good games than its competition ...

Yojimbo said:
Hus said:

Ps3 - http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/748/748505/img_4283873.html http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/714/714044/img_3934740.html

Choice a better picture from Metroid Prime 3 that one is not fair :D

Yeah seriously.  It reveals the motive behind the post -- you don't have to try to find a bad example to show that the Wii has inferior graphics, but Hus goes out of his way to find a bad example anyway. 

graphics don't....... ohh, here we go again.

Let us prove this. All it takes is a little honesty on your part. If all three systems on the market right now cost $300 and you could only get one which one would you get? Which system has the best value? Which one seems more fun? Which one currently holds the best game? Which one overall seems like a killer deal?

Graphics matter. You may not want to pay for it but I am damn sure if things were different nintendo fans would be crowing like roosters if nintendo came out with the most powerful system and if Zelda made gears of war look like it was developed by kids who rode the schoolbus with tinted windows.

If you really didn't believe this was the case why is this subject continuosly picked up and debated? I have only seen this much defence over this subject on nintendo related forums. Seriously most 360 and PS3 related place refuse to compare to the wii and feel that thier sales are relegated to a different set of consumers.

Just by these long winded rants about graphics mainly coming from the nintendo fanbase, I am starting to feel that some guys out there need justification for there purchases. Or a rationilization, so to calm fears that they might have made a mistake. 

Games make me happy! PSN ID: Staticneuron Gamertag: Staticneuron Wii Code: Static Wii - 3055 0871 5802 1723

staticneuron said:

Let us prove this. All it takes is a little honesty on your part. If all three systems on the market right now cost $300 and you could only get one which one would you get? Which system has the best value? Which one seems more fun? Which one currently holds the best game? Which one overall seems like a killer deal?

If all systems costed $300, there wouldn't be too much a difference in graphics between them. It is the option for HD graphics, that makes 360 and ps3 more expensive than the wii. 

of course, if graphic would be the only difference between the consoles the one with the best graphic would win. but at the current situation, many people don't even think about graphics when they buy a console.