By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Worldwide weekly sales discussion

This is the only discussion that doesn't have a dedicated forum/thread for it, so I thought I'd start one on a weekly basis. Let me make a few points for discussion here:

1) The PS3 had the largest weekly increase in sales, with nearly 30k more units than it sold last week. This is largely thanks to a significant jump in EU sales.

2) Uncharted and Ratchet are showing very good legs.

3) Wii Fit and Professor Layton 2 had excellent opening weeks in Japan for the Wii/DS, respectively.

4) Wii software is hitting its stride. By doing a rough calculation of total software sold this week, we get the following: 

PS3: 1,460,000
360: 2,521,000
Wii:  3,291,000

Worldwide, that's a considerable advantage for the Wii -- even considering the possibility of errors in Ioi's work (I think the likelihood is high that some of these figures are notably off), it's likely the Wii software is somewhere in the range between "strong" and "very strong."

5) Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty 4 are both selling quite well on the PS3. They will easily become the first two million selling third party titles on the PS3.

6) There's a good deal of doom-and-gloom discussion for the 360 in Europe, with the PS3 pulling ahead in recent weeks. I think this is odd; taking the Wii out of the picture for the moment, there is a 60/40 split in hardware in the EU this week. That's tilted in the PS3's favor, but that's hardly a resouding defeat for the 360 either. At this week's rate, it would take nearly a year for the PS3 to catch up to the 360's install base, let alone surpass it, in the EU. It will more likely take longer, as the gaps will become less severe in the slower months following christmas. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Around the Network

Great software sales worldwide for the Wii... I'm not sure why people claims that software is not selling on Wii

carlos710 - Capitán Primero: Nintendo Defense Force

"Wii are legion, for Wii are many"

carlos710 said:
Great software sales worldwide for the Wii... I'm not sure why people claims that software is not selling on Wii

Because there have been times when it really was lagging behind, both in terms of raw figures (obvious, when it had a smaller user base) and in terms of attach rate, which is the much more important metric.

The point is: at least for the last few weeks, the software on the Wii has been dandy. Not enough data to draw any long term conclusions yet, but having strong software sales in the most important 6 weeks of the year is a very good sign. That is, if the sales don't fall of the face of the earth in the next few weeks, which seems unlikely, as practically all the major games for every platform has been released. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Buubububut 3rd parties!

I'll be interested to see Uncharted and R&C legs; already, I think R&C has gone from "whoa huge bomb" to "not too bad." If it maintains sales the way it has through Christmas, it should be considered a decent seller. Still not a smash hit, but not egg on the face, either.

Around the Network
Bodhesatva said:
I'll be interested to see Uncharted and R&C legs; already, I think R&C has gone from "whoa huge bomb" to "not too bad." If it maintains sales the way it has through Christmas, it should be considered a decent seller. Still not a smash hit, but not egg on the face, either.

Very much like SMG in Japan, eh?

^ I have to agree.

Both platformers kinda stumbled out of the gate, but both are showing great legs!

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Platformers are like that. They rarely have big launches, because their target audience is the general gaming public. Shooters, by contrast, sell to a narrow core demographic who are eager to get the latest and greatest game, so they sell fast, but then fade away.

Of course, it helps that the $399/399EUR model is here - that's affordable for consumers. So the hardware and software are finally pulling in sync for the PS3 - it should have a monster holiday season.

It's also very interesting to see handheld sales really hitting their stride, which I hadn't expected. I think this may be the surprise trend of this shopping season: handheld gaming has become, if not the dominant market, then at least coeval with its console sibling.

About the Wii's low attach rate, I'm wondering if there is any third party game with an average review score of high 8s and 9s. I could only think of Guitar Hero III and it has already moved over 500000 units.

totalwar23 said:
About the Wii's low attach rate, I'm wondering if there is any third party game with an average review score of high 8s and 9s. I could only think of Guitar Hero III and it has already moved over 500000 units.

The only one in the 9s (RE4Wii) sold well over 1 million and isn't stopping soon.  Past that, most good 3rd party Wii games have been fairly successful.  The problem is there haven't been very many good 3rd party Wii games...

Still, sales are definitely looking up with RE:UC and GH3.  Even some that people wrote off as early flops like My Sims, Mario & Sonic, and Carnival Games have shown incredible legs and are continuing to sell very strongly.  Of course Nintendo's games sell well, but they are much higher quality than most 3rd party efforts to this point have been.

2008 has much better Wii 3rd party support and will be a very important year for the Wii for future good 3rd party games.  As serious development efforts like Okami, No More Heroes, Fragile,  Tales of Symphonia: KoR, FFCC:TCB, Kings Story, and Monster Hunter 3 are released it will be important for future Wii 3rd party support for these titles to sell well.  There is also the advent of Wii Ware which seems to have already gathered some 3rd party support from major companies like SE.  Success of major titles on Wii Ware will be important as well.