By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - UK Handheld Sales: PSP competes well with DS

HappySqurriel: Sorry but 200$ seems pure bullshit.

Around the Network

Sony didn't prove shit wrong.

The entire internet was saying that the PSP would blow away the DS, because it had more power, bigger games, better graphics, could play movies, and the magical PLAYSTATION brand name, and besides, why the hell would you want 2 screens or a touch screen? What is that ugly piece of shit? A PDA? A 10 year old Mario port? What the fuck is brain training? Nintendogs? Come on, what a sick joke.

Favorite Companies: Nintendo, Blizzard, Valve.
Recent New Favorites: Grasshopper, Atlus. (R.I.P. Clover.)
Heroes/Homies: Shigeru Miyamoto, Gunpei Yokoi, Will Wright, Eric Chahi, Suda51, Brian Eno, David Bowie.
Haiku Group: Haiku Hell.
Nemeses: Snesboy, fkusumot. 
GameDaily Article that Interviewed Me: Console Defense Forces.

ssj12 said:
RolStoppable said:
ssj12 said:
Honestly I dont even consider this a lose at all. Sony actually is victorious here. They are the only company to have a successful handheld vs Nintendo.

Being outsold by 10:1 isn't losing?

not when it comes to being the first handheld ever to actually take market share away from a Nintendo brand handheld. Sony won against the overall opinion that you can not successfully compete versus Nintendo in the handheld market. Sony proved everyone wrong.

I'm sorry, but wasn't the overall opinion before the systems came out that the PSP was going to wipe the floor with the DS and drive Nintendo out of business?

DKII said:
ssj12 said:
RolStoppable said:
ssj12 said:
Honestly I dont even consider this a lose at all. Sony actually is victorious here. They are the only company to have a successful handheld vs Nintendo.

not when it comes to being the first handheld ever to actually take market share away from a Nintendo brand handheld. Sony won against the overall opinion that you can not successfully compete versus Nintendo in the handheld market. Sony proved everyone wrong.

I'm sorry, but wasn't the overall opinion before the systems came out that the PSP was going to wipe the floor with the DS and drive Nintendo out of business?

Really depend who you dicuss with and where. I remember the launch here the PSP had the 2x the price tag and everyone said it would fail because its not real gaming machine and the obvious you could buy 2 DS.

Yojimbo said:

In fiscal 2006 (the first year of the PSP's existence) Sony's gaming division's sales increased by 228 Billion yen, and their profits dropped by 35 Billion yen, and this reduction in profitability was blamed on the launch of the PSP; which means that the launch of the PSP was accounting for a net loss of 263 Billion yen (or roughly $2 Billion). This means that the analysts' estimations of $200 loss for the PSP was not that insane ...

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:
Yojimbo said:

In fiscal 2006 (the first year of the PSP's existence) Sony's gaming division's sales increased by 228 Billion yen, and their profits dropped by 35 Billion yen, and this reduction in profitability was blamed on the launch of the PSP; which means that the launch of the PSP was accounting for a net loss of 263 Billion yen (or roughly $2 Billion). This means that the analysts' estimations of $200 loss for the PSP was not that insane ...

That includes research and launch right? Does not mean to be annoying because I am chocked. I heard that Sony lost 200-300$ with PS3 at launch, PS3 seems bigger risk and more expensive then PSP. There is no way Sony can earn money with such low software with PSP. Should explain why they are losing soo much money in gaming divison now.

Arkk said:
hunter_alien said:
Arkk said:
hunter_alien said:
Game_boy said:

After many weeks of slow sales, the PSP has picked up for the Christmas period in the UK and is finally starting to compete with the DS. I expect the PSP to sell slightly more than the DS next week based on this.

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/9648/screenshotvideogamechartk5.png

HAHA ? I really dont know what to say ... its a pretty lame joke thread . Everyone knows the DS is outselling the PSP , but than its outselling everithing else ... the 360 , the PS3 , the PS2 ... oh and even the mighty Wii . Yeah , it became a cult hit , but than lets dont forget , that a couple of years ago , PSP like hardware sales where considered stellar . I bet that MS would have loved to have as many Xboxes on the market , as many PSP will be untill the end of the generation .

In the same time , lets dont forget , that the sales for the DS are so high mainly because of their non-game softwares ( Brain Training anyone ? ) , or ultra-softcore games , like NSMB . Hey at least the has a bunch of pretty damn hard games , while all the hard games on the DS are mostly hard because they are frustrating , and usually they are the ones with under 5 rating .

So yeah , keep on laughing , because hardcore gamers will go with hardcore handheld , and by that I dont mean the Gizmondo ... or DS .

PS : to bad for the good games on the DS , like the recently reeased Dementium ... they usually have bad sales compared with the kiddy Nintendo 1st party games :(

Wow. You really want to get bashed don't you? I am a hardcore gamer and have been since I first started way back in 86. I have more than 25 DS games, almost all of which are in your so called "hardcore" category. I have a PSP as well. I only have 5 PSP games. Do you know why? Because I don't want to play rehashed PS2 games. I would rather play Nintendo's first party "kiddy" games (in your eyes) than worse controlling versions of games that I already had on my PS2. So clearly, the choice of this "hardcore" gamer is DS, not PSP. Here's laughing at you bud.

How the hell can you proove to me that your a hardcore gamer anyways ?

But thats not the point . If you could only find 5 games that you like on the PSP , than the problem is with you , not the cconsole ... I have at this point 43 PSP games , and I have tons of fun with it , thank you ... oh , and what a surprise , from this games only 6 are ports , from wich only 4 are PS2 ports ( the 2 POP games , CTTR , King Kong ) ... so please get your fact straight .

Naznatips : do you actually see how many of those games are 1st party ... if not check again . The PSP is not doing well in software , both 1st and 3rd party games have usually mediocre sales , but the fact that games are actually comming out , and many actually , I would say that the PSP is doing much batter than any of you imply . Also , in most chart there are NO Others numbers , and everyone can agree , that thats the best PSP market at this point by far ( fr software ) .

1. I'm on this site every single day... shouldn't that be enough to tell you that I play my videogames every once in a while?

2. There aren't even 43 PSP games that I have a faint interest in. It's not me, it's the types of games they put on the system. If you can find 43 games on the PSP enjoyable, then have fun man. That's really great for you. And by the way... what fact am I supposed to be getting straight? I didn't state any FACTS, just opinion.

Thank you and have a good day.

Wow , to be honest with you there are ~5 games on the DS that I would really want , just that this number is not enough for me . Yes , I have at this point 43 PSP games and Im getting 2 more tomorrow ( The Warriors and Pulse ) , but if you cant find at least 43 games on the PSP in what you would be at least partially interested , than its you ...

tokimalockingbrd : you can have your opinion , but even as a huuuge fan as I am , I dont say that I hate any consoles . The DS is just not my style , but I still dont hate it . To bad that your closed mind can only know hatered towards the PSP :( 

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

ssj12 said:
RolStoppable said:
ssj12 said:

I think that MS is the victor in the handeld market as as all the way through the 2 monstrous giants known as DS and PSP lifetime then it hasn't lost a single percentage of the Handled market share it enjoys !!

See how I can also turn absoluteley nothing into a positive

Those people that think they're perfect give a bad reputation to us who are... 

"With the DS, it's fair to say that Nintendo stepped out of the technical race and went for a feature differentiation with the touch screen, but I fear that it won't have a lasting impact beyond that of a gimmick - so the long-lasting appeal of the platform is at peril as a direct result of that." - Phil Harrison, Sony

gawalls said:
ssj12 said:
RolStoppable said:
ssj12 said:

I think that MS is the victor in the handeld market as as all the way through the 2 monstrous giants known as DS and PSP lifetime then it hasn't lost a single percentage of the Handled market share it enjoys !!

See how I can also turn absoluteley nothing into a positive

Wow , I never thaught about that :o

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

ssj12 said:
 I thought the Game Gear did ok. 

currently playing: Desktop Tower Defense (PC), Puzzle Quest (DS), Trauma Center New Blood (Wii), Guitar Hero III (Wii), Ghost Squad (Wii), Actraiser (SNES), Donkey Kong County (SNES), The Legend of Zelda (NES), Kirby's Adventure (NES)

will play next: Paper Mario (N64), Golden Axe II (Sega), NiGHTS (Wii)

Join the Ron Paul RLOVEution, support Ron Paul for president in the 2008 Republican presidential primary! http://www.ronpaul2008.com