By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What happen to "Heavy rain will flop and AW will outsell it easily"?

I was always more excited for Heavy Rain than I was for Alan Wake but I thought Alan Wake outselling Heavy Rain was as close to a sure thing as possible.  I mean 360 games tend to sell more than PS3 games.  Alan Wake was more tried and true than Heavy Rain's experimental style.  Heavy Rain didn't seem to have a built in audience and seemed like it would be a niche game (which is fine.  I like "niche".)  I definitely put my money on Alan Wake.

Just goes to show that anything can happen in the WWE.  People were starving for something unique, I guess.  Heavy Rain beat Alan Wake commercially and critically.  And as an owner of both games, Heavy Rain deserved it.

So when we discuss Halo vs Gran Turismo (I still don't know why.), Move vs. Kinect, or PS3's vs. 360's, we do so with an air of uncertainty.  Half of the guys in the argument are going to be right.  Half of them are going to be wrong.  That's just how it goes.  But if things were 100% guaranteed, what would be the fun in the debate?

Around the Network

Actually, I knew AW would be a flop. People were just too much out of reality thinking it would seel what it would. Heavy Raind on the other hadn, surprised me in sales.

Above: still the best game of the year.

Lol dude there were way more comments like that but obviously you wouldn't go searching for every single one of them.

I always knew that Heavy Rain would be a bigger success than Alan Wake. Knew it since this year. Sometimes there are time when you don't know the exact reason why but just know it'll happen and this was one of those moments.

Review wise yes I did think Heavy Rain would easily be higher than Alan Wake but Sales wise no.

I really didn't expect to see Heavy Rain do 500K Opening Week and already reach 1.4 Mil Sales in 7 Months for a New IP as well as being a game that's unlike no other, I'm hugely impressed with Heavy Rain's success both critically and commercially. Definitely well deserved and should be able to do 2.5 Mil Lifetime easily.

I was one of them and I was wrong. Shit happens.

What about Resistance 2 will beat Gears of War 2?

What about PS3 will pass Xbox 360 end of 2009?

What about the Wii is a fad?

Believe it or not, some things you hear on the internet might not be true.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Well I was one of the people that said survival horrors generally don't sell well. So far that's been pretty accurate.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
d21lewis said:

I was always more excited for Heavy Rain than I was for Alan Wake but I thought Alan Wake outselling Heavy Rain was as close to a sure thing as possible.  I mean 360 games tend to sell more than PS3 games.  Alan Wake was more tried and true than Heavy Rain's experimental style.  Heavy Rain didn't seem to have a built in audience and seemed like it would be a niche game (which is fine.  I like "niche".)  I definitely put my money on Alan Wake.

Just goes to show that anything can happen in the WWE.  People were starving for something unique, I guess.  Heavy Rain beat Alan Wake commercially and critically.  And as an owner of both games, Heavy Rain deserved it.

So when we discuss Halo vs Gran Turismo (I still don't know why.), Move vs. Kinect, or PS3's vs. 360's, we do so with an air of uncertainty.  Half of the guys in the argument are going to be right.  Half of them are going to be wrong.  That's just how it goes.  But if things were 100% guaranteed, what would be the fun in the debate?

I think you're right, in that on paper Alan Wake seemed the better bet.

In terms of the OP, there's always a few who go beyond simple plausibility into the realm of hardcore fandom, though, and that's when things can get ugly.

Obviously sometimes you'll get upsets.  I own a PS3 but not a 360 and I thought Alan Wake looked likely to sell a bit better (although I did think HR would find an audience, too).

But when people get overwrought based on bias they'll get very defensive and if proven wrong you won't find them rushing to eat crow or admit they were wrong.

Human nature the internet can be both good and bad.

As an off-topic, I would have been facinated to see how Alan Wake might have sold on PS3, as I do think the PS3 has a slightly better install base for shorter, SP only titles.  Guess we'll never know.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

DirtyP2002 said:

I was one of them and I was wrong. Shit happens.

There we go. That's the perfect response. Shit Happens and will always happen. No one can be right everysingle time.

Don't use RDR as an excuse.  The reason AW didn't sell is becuz people wasn't interested in it and it don't have online.  The main thing about 360 is XBL.  If I'm gonna pay $50 a yr to play online then every game on the 360 better have online.  That’s how I see.

Easy. Most of them silence themselves because there are hard numbers that disprove what they thought. And let's be honest, if you were wrong, would you call attention to it? I would assume not, and the same goes for the others you cite.

-dunno001

-On a quest for the truly perfect game; I don't think it exists...

It's human nature.  When you're right, you want to boast about it and let the whole world know.  When you're wrong, you hide in your room and lock the door and hope that nobody remembers.