By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Gran Turismo 1-4 has outsold the entire Halo series!!!!

Grimes said:
Mummelmann said:

Grimes and ymeaga1n; are you two of those typical folks who don't realize there's a world outside of the US? If something is released or available for purchase in Europe but not in the US, a lot of people pretend it doesn't exist. The original Halo 3 bundle did quite well here in Norway and was available day one at the games release.

I'm not saying the guy didn't make an ass of himself in his posts but get your head out of the clouds on this one thing; he did not lie about that bundle. There is a whole world out there outside the United States, learn about it.

The gist of his argument was that Halo 3 had lots of bundle sales while GT5 had none. If you look at Halo 3's sales, 2/3 were in the US where no bundle was available for a very long time. I'm not ignoring Europe, but the reality is that Halo 3 has a much larger base in the US.

The Halo 3 bundle is more or less a sidetrack anyways to the main argument which was that Halo 3 could attribute most of its sales to bundles while GT5 had none, and even if you accept that Europe had a bundle, that is simply not proof to base the argument on.

Oh, I very much agree on that. GT5 Prologue was a good hardware mover in its time, the bundle did very well here in Europe. So like I said; that part of his argument is still worthless.

Around the Network
Ping_ii said:
I_THE_SANDMAN said:

Most people forget that there are more than twice as many PS2s in the world then Xboxs and 360s combined.  Another note Halo 3 did better then GT4

So? GT3 came out at the time the ps2 install base was lower than what ps3 has now and it sold 14m, MGS4 on ps3 sold more than MGS3 in ps2 that had higher installbase.

GT3 is in a way the odd one out for sales.

Reasons for this are the fact that in EU and US when GT3 released it was the first real game worth owning it for. IT bundled from day 1 in both regions and finally tipped many over into buying a PS2 and waving goodbye to any other console that gen. 

For example GT3 sold over 7 million in US. Now GT4 in the US barely made 2 million. Many people got GT3 free with their PS2.

However GT4 did better than GT3 in EU. Problem is GT4 had a much bigger install base and next to no competition in EU at the time of release. Now GT5 is going up against Halo Reach and any type of Buzz that Kinect steals. It's the hardest launch a GT game has ever faced.

selnor said:
Ping_ii said:
I_THE_SANDMAN said:

Most people forget that there are more than twice as many PS2s in the world then Xboxs and 360s combined.  Another note Halo 3 did better then GT4

So? GT3 came out at the time the ps2 install base was lower than what ps3 has now and it sold 14m, MGS4 on ps3 sold more than MGS3 in ps2 that had higher installbase.

Reasons for this are the fact that in EU and US when GT3 released it was the first real game worth owning it for. IT bundled from day 1 in both regions and finally tipped many over into buying a PS2 and waving goodbye to any other console that gen. 

For example GT3 sold over 7 million in US. Now GT4 in the US barely made 2 million. Many people got GT3 free with their PS2.

However GT4 did better than GT3 in EU. Problem is GT4 had a much bigger install base and next to no competition in EU at the time of release. Now GT5 is going up against Halo Reach and any type of Buzz that Kinect steals. It's the hardest launch a GT game has ever faced.

Reach is targeted to a completely different gaming audience and on a different console, so I doubt it's going to steal any customers from GT5 and vice versa.

Same with kinect, kinect is gonna sell more than GT5 though because it's target audience is even bigger but it will barely affect GT5's sales.

What's with the "GT5 can't outsell more than Reach because there aren't enough consoles"? Did they stop making consoles all of a sudden? This competition is only about target audience and which one is bigger and it's going to continue as long as either one of them still sells, it's all about if there are more scifi shooter fans or driving simulator fans.

Vashyo said:
selnor said:
Ping_ii said:
I_THE_SANDMAN said:

Reach is targeted to a completely different gaming audience and on a different console, so I doubt it's going to steal any customers from GT5 and vice versa.

Same with kinect, kinect is gonna sell more than GT5 though because it's target audience is even bigger but it will barely affect GT5's sales.

What's with the "GT5 can't outsell more than Reach because there aren't enough consoles"? Did they stop making consoles all of a sudden? This competition is only about target audience and which one is bigger and it's going to continue as long as either one of them still sells, it's all about if there are more scifi shooter fans or driving simulator fans.

There are probably a ton of people who bought GT3/GT4 that opted for a Xbox 360 this generation and got their racing itch scratched by Forza 3. There're also probably a ton of people who played GT5P who got enough racing out of it and don't want to pay for more. There are probably people who opted for a PS3 this gen but got enough racing out of NFS Shift, or Dirt, or some other racing game. My point is, while GT5 will do well, it has compition this time around and a lot of people have probably found alternatives and won't be coming back.

FootballFan said:

Yawn. We know GT has been bigger than Halo for a long time.

Absolutely so long in fact that 20 million of its sales were before Halo was even born.

W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.
Around the Network
Serious_frusting said:
zgamer5 said:
Barozi said:
Serious_frusting said:

GT5 will outsel Halo reach

and i will bet on it

bet taken

i wanted to take the bet :( damn it.

you both can take the bet i dont mind

So what time frame before we compare?

algorith said:
Serious_frusting said:
zgamer5 said:
Barozi said:
Serious_frusting said:

GT5 will outsel Halo reach

and i will bet on it

bet taken

i wanted to take the bet :( damn it.

you both can take the bet i dont mind

So what time frame before we compare

About 5 months. When the 5th month comes we are going to look at the ltd sales and what they are selling at that moment in time and make a decision on what game will end up selling more in the end.

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

DirtyP2002 said:
DukeOfLuxembourg said:

i think it's time for some people to wake up and realise that Reach don't gonna outsell GT5 (even not in your dreams).

Bet?

I bet Halo Reach will have higher sales according to VGC. February 1st would be a deadline.

only in the first months Reach 'could' outsell GT5, but noway on the long therm. with your deadline of the first february you 'could' be right but that's not sure at all. i suppose you meant the year 2011 as for later years GT5 will own the sales by a huge margin compared to Reach.

A203D said:
rf40928 said:
geddesmond2 said:
Antabus said:
BMaker11 said:
tuscaniman said:
FootballFan said:

Yawn. We know GT has been bigger than Halo for a long time.

GT has never been bigger than Halo. Now do a comparison between the two attach ratios and watch GT get stomped by Halo. Reach will sell 5 million more than GT5. Quote me on it.

GT3 on PS2 = butt rape on your attach ratios

Wasn't that bundled with every ps2 at some time?

What like how Halo 3 came bundled with every Xbox 360 sold from the games release date until a year later. Even now you can buy bundles with Halo 3 and ODST. Also Gran turismo Prologue sold over 5 million copies without being bundled and it wasn't a full GT game. Halo ODST managed to sell 5 million after being bundled since christmas last year with 5 million more so called attach rates

Halo never came bundled in the sense it was bundled free to the masses..

It was bundled in limited numbers at an additional price ( which covered the game, maybe saving 10 dollars ) meant for fans of the game as well as for those who wanted the console and game because they didn't have it for themself.. but perhaps they had played on a friends console.. 

Halo Reach will likely come bundled with the new 360 slim this fall - xmas. and i think a lot of old 360 users will pick it up to replace older units. and i think sony will also bundle GT5 with the rumoured 360GB HDD. so it seems that there will be no dissadvantage to either game if they're both bundled. i wil be supprised if sony dosent bundle GT5 in the EU and US.

Halo Reach will only be bundled wih the halo reach console. GT5's blue ps3 bundle is only in japan but maybe that will change later...

I am one of the 1 million that pre-ordered Halo: Reach...Are you?

I think fightning over which console is better is stupid, they are both good consoles with some ups and downs.

Yes. Just look at the pre-orders

Halo Reach (5 weeks): 1,071,366

Gran Turismo 5 (12 weeks): 143,898

Bit of a gap there, even if Reach launches 7 weeks before GT5. And then look where Reach was at at 12 weeks to launch

Halo Reach (12 weeks): 384,059

Thats nearly double what GT5 has at the same time prior to launch. Then compare GT5's precursor to Halo 3's expansion pack

GT5 Pronolgue: 3.83 million

Halo 3 ODST: 5.53 million

Personally I dont think the argument for GT5 is too convincing. id say its reasonable to assume GT5 will have better sales in the long-run compared to Reach, but then look at Halo 3. It had a massive launch which tailed-off fast, but managed to keep selling fairly well and eventually broke the 11 million mark, which looked like a long shot even after launch.