By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Android 3.0 Game Phone.... by SONY

Seems like it's the "Getting into mobile phones business day"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=114367&page=1&str=236256471#

Around the Network
vlad321 said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
vlad321 said:

Given the fact that Sony Ericsson isn't entirely Sony owned, and the fact that the enitrety of Sony's experience in the handheld market is the PSP, which isn't exactly doing great, I'd have to say this isn't exactly in any better shape. I mean hell the SE HQ is in London  or France if I'm not mistaken. It has its own president and everything. So this is in the exact same boat as Nokia was.

lol your grasping at straws right now...admit it that was a stupid thing to say..you compared a gaming device made by Nokia to one by Sony, a company that has great heritage and has made a great gaming device...and fyi, just because DS is doing great doesn't mean PSP is doing bad...ok for a second let's just forget the sales (even that apart from NA it's still doing nicely in other regions) ...psp is a GREAT gaming device and a great device that has some amazing games, comparing the psp to ngage is an insult and your losing all credibility...it's good to know when you lost a debate to bow out, cuz this is rather silly of you

No it really was not, this is a phone that has a shoehorned gaming system. Also SOny has a great heritage, yet its PSP line was failing, furthermore SE isn't even SOnyitself, so I do not see how those are straws at all. I never EVER compared the PSP to the NGage, now you are just putting words in my mouth. All I am saying is that SE is basically in the same shoes as Nokia was, with a slight edge, however it has been shown time and time again, if you shoehorn gaming into a phone, you fail. I highly, HIGHLY, doubt this will be any different.

You really should stop going down this road cuz it makes you sound ridiculous as you go

why bring in psp at all to the debate then? You just said psp is 'failing' so they are in the same situation as nokia, give me a damn break already....psp is NOT failing..for crying out loud, it's sonys first step into the market and they have sold what around 70 mill plus units? and has a GREAT line up of games for it.....so no it's not a failure by any means and it still gets amazing support

SE is part of Sony...I have enough trust in their hw to think they will make this work and make it work well, their history should tell you that. Pls do not compare this to that crap of a HW that was NGage....if you want think of this as xperia line with psp gaming capabilities and you will have your product....especially when we know the vast difference of knowledge Sony has in comparison to Nokia the situation should be obvious to you or anyone else...Nokia was never about gaming....Sony has been doing amazing work in the gaming industry and they also have SE line which gives them enough knowledge of both areas unline Nokia...so stop this BS mockery already, you ARE grasping at straws here

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

M.U.G.E.N said:
vlad321 said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
vlad321 said:

Given the fact that Sony Ericsson isn't entirely Sony owned, and the fact that the enitrety of Sony's experience in the handheld market is the PSP, which isn't exactly doing great, I'd have to say this isn't exactly in any better shape. I mean hell the SE HQ is in London  or France if I'm not mistaken. It has its own president and everything. So this is in the exact same boat as Nokia was.

lol your grasping at straws right now...admit it that was a stupid thing to say..you compared a gaming device made by Nokia to one by Sony, a company that has great heritage and has made a great gaming device...and fyi, just because DS is doing great doesn't mean PSP is doing bad...ok for a second let's just forget the sales (even that apart from NA it's still doing nicely in other regions) ...psp is a GREAT gaming device and a great device that has some amazing games, comparing the psp to ngage is an insult and your losing all credibility...it's good to know when you lost a debate to bow out, cuz this is rather silly of you

No it really was not, this is a phone that has a shoehorned gaming system. Also SOny has a great heritage, yet its PSP line was failing, furthermore SE isn't even SOnyitself, so I do not see how those are straws at all. I never EVER compared the PSP to the NGage, now you are just putting words in my mouth. All I am saying is that SE is basically in the same shoes as Nokia was, with a slight edge, however it has been shown time and time again, if you shoehorn gaming into a phone, you fail. I highly, HIGHLY, doubt this will be any different.

You really should stop going down this road cuz it makes you sound ridiculous as you go

why bring in psp at all to the debate then? You just said psp is 'failing' so they are in the same situation as nokia, give me a damn break already....psp is NOT failing..for crying out loud, it's sonys first step into the market and they have sold what around 70 mill plus units? and has a GREAT line up of games for it.....so no it's not a failure by any means and it still gets amazing support

SE is part of Sony...I have enough trust in their hw to think they will make this work and make it work well, their history should tell you that. Pls do not compare this to that crap of a HW that was NGage....if you want think of this as xperia line with psp gaming capabilities and you will have your product....especially when we know the vast difference of knowledge Sony has in comparison to Nokia the situation should be obvious to you or anyone else...Nokia was never about gaming....Sony has been doing amazing work in the gaming industry and they also have SE line which gives them enough knowledge of both areas unline Nokia...so stop this BS mockery already, you ARE grasping at straws here

? Did we travel 3 years in time? I think you mean 59.2 million.

3DS Friend Code:   4596-9822-6909

Christian973 said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
vlad321 said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
vlad321 said:

? Did we travel 3 years in time? I think you mean 59.2 million.

my bad I'm multi tasking so just typed the number that came to mind..I stand corrected but my point stands...heck imo PSP is a way better device for certain types of games than it's competition as well..so no it's not a failure

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

M.U.G.E.N said:
vlad321 said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
vlad321 said:

I bring up the PSP because it is not anywhere near as successful a handheld as the DS, which means that Sony aren't exactly experts at making successful handhelds. That's it. Put it on top of the fact that SE isn't even the same company as Sony itself and what you have is a game phone which is very very strongly reminiscent of the Ngage.

Also No SE is NOT part of Sony, it is a joint venture between Sony and Ericsson. SE has its own HQ, its own president, its own earnings reports, its own everything. It sounds like you need to go read up on the relationships between Sony, Ericsson, and SE. Yes it can use things like the Walkman from Sony, but it has its own R&D department for most other things which has probably done the much of the actual design of this phone.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Around the Network
vlad321 said:

okay now this is just sad, trying to spin too hard

vlad go grab a cup of tea and relax...

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

vlad321 said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
vlad321 said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
vlad321 said:

I bring up the PSP because it is not anywhere near as successful a handheld as the DS, which means that Sony aren't exactly experts at making successful handhelds. That's it. Put it on top of the fact that SE isn't even the same company as Sony itself and what you have is a game phone which is very very strongly reminiscent of the Ngage.

Also No SE is NOT part of Sony, it is a joint venture between Sony and Ericsson. SE has its own HQ, its own president, its own earnings reports, its own everything. It sounds like you need to go read up on the relationships between Sony, Ericsson, and SE. Yes it can use things like the Walkman from Sony, but it has its own R&D department for most other things which has probably done the much of the actual design of this phone.

looks like you need to go read up on the basics such as what it means to be a success...just because coca cola is a huge success doesn't mean pepsi is a failure....get your facts right. Sony did just fine for a first time contender in the new market

Have they made solid hw before? yes...psp, ps3, ps2 and ps1 all have been made by them and they have put forth some solid HW as well as SW...so I do not understand why your comparing them to Nokia :D this is becoming a joke....

Ok so let me put it this way, there is this thing called networking and planes, so people can communicate and travel and collbarate on projects. With me so far? sooooooo Sony has people 'connected' to them who are experts in the mobile industry, they also have people who have experience in making gaming devices...okkkkkk? With me still? Hope so. Sooooooo they can colab!!! 0_0 OMFGWTFBBQ! crazy concept right? It's almsot like sony was a multi national multi million dollar businsess which has its hands in various product development cycles...crazy stuff I tell ya

SO yes I know nokia is renounded for their gaming heritage and they have ties to game developers...oh wait NO they don't :S how crazy is that?

So I hope this at least HELPS you see (if you're even 'willing' to accept it) reality and how this will NEVER be a Ngage....if you STILL can't come up with some commen sense to understand this, I'm afraid this is more or less wishful thinking on your part than anything else for which all I can say is tsk tsk

So with that I'm done going over this with you....Others might still wanna go at it with you but I think it's useless cuz there are situations when people don't listen to reason, for obvious reasons

Time will tell how wrong you are, so be ready to eat crow, a good helping of it ;)

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

At first I thought "No way!", but the more I think about it the more plausible the whole story seems to me.

And already being an owner of an Android phone myself, I have to admit that I see an important advantage of such a device compared to current Android phones when it comes to gaming: The proper D-pad and buttons. Current Android games only use the touch screen or motion sensors, and there are lots of games that simply do not work out very well without a proper D-pad. For example did anyone try running SNESoid on Android? They place a virtual D-pad and buttons on the multitouch screen. That's the best you can do if you've only got a touchscreen, but it needs quite some time to get used to it and then it still doesn't work that well. Plus, that way you're hiding large parts of the screen with your fingers.

I think it would be a clever step for Sony. Copy-protection would however be a problem in the current stage of Android. But as far as I remember Google is already addressing this with the next Android release (so being Android 3.0-based seems even more plausible) , but I would still expect this to be a problem.

Oh, and Google would really need to accept more methods of payment for the Android market, because so far they only accept credit cards. That works fine for the USA, but in Europe hardly anyone is even using them. For example the only reason why I haven't bought an app from the Android market yet is because I don't even have a credit card. I cancelled my last one years ago sinceI had to pay a yearly fee for it but never even used it, and I definitely won't order a new one only for buying apps from the Android market.

makingmusic476 said:

I believe this device will simply be an Android-based phone that will also support PSP titles.  Developers will have two options:  Make their game compatible with all PSPs and the PSPhone, or make their game compatible with the PSPhone and every other Android device (a regular Android app).  I think this device is intended to simply add to the current PSP line.

But will the PSPhone support current PSP games? I'd imagine that having dedicated hardware(psp) it would be difficult for the PSPhone to try and emulate. As the hardware will not be the same (shown by the device having standard smartphone components, like the snapdragon), it would take work to get the games running on the PSPhone most likely.

Also the lack of an analog stick would seem to make compatibility between PSP/PSPhone for present/upcoming games also an issue.

If the developer decided to make their game compatible with other Android devices as well, wouldn't they eschew the use of the actual d-pad/buttons on the PSPhone in favor of the touch screen controls? Most of the Android smartphones have touchpads and DO NOT have a d-pad/buttons...

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

makingmusic476 said:

It sounds like an Android smartphone that happens to play PSP games.  Meh.

I like the idea of a PlayStation Phone, but I'd want it to be a full successor to the PSP (PSP2), and I'd want it to have the PSN/XMB at its core, much like the PSP/PS3.  Any Android features I'd like to be secondary to PS functionality, and I'd want it to continue and improve upon the PSP's functionality and compatability with the PS3.

This just sounds like an X10 with buttons and a section on the Android Marketplace for PSP titles.  No PlayStation Store anymore?

It doesn't feel like a true PlayStation product.

You basically took the words out of my mouth, it needs to be a PlayStation phone rather than a phone PlayStation. It is okay if there is a PSP2 phone coming soon (ie March 2012 when my phone contract expires....)

But basing it around Android is a good idea, that way you get a good phone and good games functionality

Also, bare in mind this is just a rumour, it is certainly an interesting development from Sony they just need to take it to the next level