By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Extreme Tech: 360 DVD, HD DVD playback still seriously flawed

According to Extreme Tech:

"Early this year I wrote about how the Xbox 360 is a flawed DVD player, complete with pictures of some of the various errors you can expect. I hoped Microsoft would fix it with each major update. So when I looked over the really long and detailed list of Dashboard updates the other day, a few things stuck out at me. One is the nebulous "Improved deinterlacer support for video playback." Could this be the DVD fix I was hoping for?

Nope. I just updated the Xbox 360 in the lab and ran it into a TV using the VGA input at 1080p. With this I used the popular HQV DVD test disc, and the Xbox 360 scored a whopping 40. That's out of 130! Rather than show you the whole scoring chart, let me break it down for you: The 360 passed the Color Bars/Vertical Detail test (nearly everything does), the Picture Detail test, and the horizontal and vertical crawls. That's it. It failed every noise reduction, film mode, jaggies, and cadence detection test there is. In nearly every case, it was a clear failure; not…even…close.

Oh, the hi-def situation isn't much better. HQV makes a hi-def test disc for HD DVD and Blu-ray players, and the 360 scores a zero (out of 100). These tests are much simpler, involving simply de-interlacing 1080i content of both regular and film mode content, and noise reduction. It's like nothing is going on there at all. "

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2228134,00.asp

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

Does anyone know if audio playback is still a concern on the 360?

"Audio quality still seems to be a genuine concern though:

"As a music producer, the difference between good audio and bad audio can make or break my day so I tend to be very anal when comparing sources. First up was the 360 and to be honest I was a little disappointed, if not altogether surprised at the quality of the sound.

A couple of hundred quid will get you a very decent standalone CD player these days, but my beef with the 360 is that the audio sounds almost like an afterthought. That's kind of okay when you're playing games because your attention is drawn away from the 360's lack of sonic depth, but even when playing my test CD I found it a bit flat and unrewarding and the high end seemed to be out of step with the mid frequencies, giving the overall sound a synthetic, over-processed quality, a bit like a cheap MP3 player.

With the PS3 on the other hand, I have to say I was very impressed with the way it dealt with audio in general. As with the 360, when you're in mid fire fight, you don't really have time to stop and smell the roses, so I stuck in my favourite test CD (The Night Fly, by Donald Fagan, since you ask) and within a few seconds it was obvious that something very special was happening. It was like colonic irrigation for your ears - every guitar note seemed to hang in its own space, drums and percussion tell you exactly were they are in the stereo image and as for the bottom end, let's just say I don't think the people that live downstairs are going to send me a Christmas card this year!

The PS3's CD sound impressed me enough to compare it with my £500 Sony CD player that I use for work. Now this was a real revelation, because the PS3 beat it hands down in every way, eclipsing the fine detail delivered by my standalone player with a sound that seemed more natural and open overall."

http://www.avreview.co.uk/news/article/mps/UAN/1375/v/3/

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

LOL you are persistent
i would argue with you but im going to bed ill let someone else do it

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.

This will not go very well...

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

I own both PS3 and 360 and have both running to my 1080P set via HDMI with opitcal out to my 5.1 system. They both sound great and look great in SD and HD. Real world performance is better than test lab.

I don't remember last time I put in test DVD to enjoy as evening entertainment.

I was going to write some long reply but then I see who is the OP ... no point really, I would rather go watch some test patterns DVD.

Around the Network

I didn't know that poor upscaling meant playback was seriously flawed. Last I checked, it played DVDs just fine.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=213997

Hey MikeB, how many other sites do you post your predictable PS3/Bluray-hyping 360/HDDVD-bashing on?

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=7806206
LOL

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

Serious question for MikeB:
At this point you have become such a joke on various gaming forums, wouldn't you be better off abandoning this account, laying low for a few weeks, and then coming back with a new identity (MikeC)?

@MikeB

You wont get anything good out of posting this info on this site. The PS3 guys are going to agree with you, the 360 guys will just bash, and the Nintendo guys will be split. If some people are happy to pay 400 dollars for a system that is in for repairs every 6 months then let them be. You and I can be happy with our top of the line electronic that runs like a chapm without even having to maintain it.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL