By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Extreme Tech: 360 DVD, HD DVD playback still seriously flawed

@MikeB/KBG29/Griffin you guys are just tools. On every single post I just laugh to myself.

Around the Network

http://www.dvdtown.com/news/xbox-360-hd-dvd-drive-for-less-than-130/4978

The drive is now $130 at Toys R Us. I'm not sure if it's permanent, but at that price, who cares if it's not the best?

The same would apply for a blu-ray player, but that's apparently going to take a while.

EDIT: It's also that price on Amazon

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

One thing the PS3 does much better than the 360 is play its respective high-def format. Before I sold my 360 I had a HD-DVD add-on that I was trying out with it - the picture seemed pretty good, but the audio lag was so terrible that it made movies unwatchable. Add to that also the lack of high-def audio output on HDMI-equipped xbox 360's....it's not a very good player.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I woulden't necesarrily call the Xbox's capabilities "bad", but honestly what did you expect. SONY makes hardware for a living :/ could you immagine if the components were worse? Microsoft has always been about the software and their doing pretty well with that at the moment. Sony's notorious with hardware and they've put out an amazing piece of machinery. The fact that you can even buy an add-on for the 360 is good enough I think. It's not like there asking much :P

But on a side note, I am a MAJOR audiofile, if my sounds aren't hitting me like a fist full of thunder then I get dragged down BIG time, and I will say after playing each of the respective systems with their respective exclusives, the PS3 wins in the audio department hands down. Gears of war and Halo3 had me foaming at the mouth ><

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

epsilon72 said:
One thing the PS3 does much better than the 360 is play its respective high-def format. Before I sold my 360 I had a HD-DVD add-on that I was trying out with it - the picture seemed pretty good, but the audio lag was so terrible that it made movies unwatchable. Add to that also the lack of high-def audio output on HDMI-equipped xbox 360's....it's not a very good player.

I never heard of this (I've read quite a few reviews of the 360's HD-DVD drive, and lag was never mentioned). You might have had a system with a faulty audio connection.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

Thanks MikeB, love that website!

Here's my favorite article from extemetech.. mind you it was written last year, but never the less a classic! - > http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2075804,00.asp

PlayStation 3 Losers Need to Get a Life

"The PlayStation 3 launch, in particular, seemed to drag down the collective IQ and social skills of a lot of people. Talk about a bunch of losers who need to get a life."

"Here's another thing about the PS3 launch that I found nauseating. There were so many losers out there that bought into the hype about how "amazing" or "incredible" the PS3 console performs. Guess what? At the end of the day it's still just a videogame console."

So many little gems in that article!

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

und nauseating. There were so many losers out there that bought into the hype about how "amazing" or "incredible" the PS3 console performs. Guess what? At the end of the day it's still just a videogame console."

So many little gems in that article!

But it's not just a video game console :P The PS3 and the 360 are both aiming for the centerspot in your entertainment system, and in THOSE regards, the PS3 is clearly superior, now the game library comes down to personal taste, but if you go by rankings the 360's the way to go. Mike B was just stating that the 360 is not as capable as the PS3 in regards to playing High Def movies / Audio. As far as I know thats information we all already knew, so the point was moot You probably bought your 360 as a gaming unit, and I'm sure you have a ton of games :P so enjoy your console!!! Let mike worry about the specs :D

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

Didn't read anything MikeB said, but instead laughed at the Toshiba advertisment that was after his OP

sieanr said:

you just delivered one of the most entertaining post in recent GAF history. The part where you posted pics of your girlfriend and sister took things to a whole new level of funny/sad.

So true.  This thread isn't very interesting, but the GAF thread is already a classic.

To those who have not read it yet, check it out, it's full of laughs and definitely worth the time:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=213997

Also note that it was moved by the mods from the Gaming Discussion forum to the Off-Topic Discussion forum, where all MikeB comments rightfully belong.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

sinha said:
sieanr said:

you just delivered one of the most entertaining post in recent GAF history. The part where you posted pics of your girlfriend and sister took things to a whole new level of funny/sad.

So true. This thread isn't very interesting, but the GAF thread is already a classic.

To those who have not read it yet, check it out, it's full of laughs and definitely worth the time:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=213997

Also note that it was moved by the mods from the Gaming Discussion forum to the Off-Topic Discussion forum, where all MikeB comments rightfully belong.

Thanks Sinha, that is quite hilarious

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.