By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Japanese games industry is dying: Says Itagaki

Killiana1a said:

I am reading this as Itagaki saying that the Japanese gaming market as opposed to the Americas market and EMEAA is losing influence because of demographics.  Japan having the 2nd highest life expectancy in the world, a quarter of their population retired or nearing retirement age, and a low birth rate (1.2 children/Japanese woman), then yes the Japanese gaming market in the future will be smaller and not a smart investment for Japanese gaming companies to focus on and develop for as opposed to other markets.

This is why Sony is so focused on emerging 2nd world markets. There will always be a Japanese market, but not to the extent it was in previous generations.

As for comments regarding Nintendo having 9 of the 10 best selling games in this generation, Nintendo did that by catering specifically to the Americas market. Canadian, American, Mexican and other Americas market gamers were primarily responsible for Wii Fit and Wii Sports selling over 20 million.

sony is not focused on emerging markets because of japan market going down but because as emerging markets get richer,there are more areas to make money

we don't know how japan market will be when FPS genre dies which is the main reason this gen people aren't purchasing japanese stuff

Around the Network

i my opinion the whole industry is dieing, other then exclusives you can't find quality titles(their are exceptions) many franchises are turning noob friendly, loosing the magic they had. sequels are becoming like dlc, two new game modes and a short 4 hours story.

i blame activision for this, when i saw the cod:black ops trailer i hoped that they could resurrect the frandchise,i liked the guns, the sound , but then a spy camera ,he projectile knife,the jump and duck at the same time ability, the maps made for campers, a remote control kamikaze car!!! a god damn exploding crossbow, and thousands of noobs on youtube posting comments like "omg look at the kill streaks" " im so excited" " i just came" and one comment made me sad, a kid said " i hope that the game will be balanced".

i know medal of honor isnt going to be a noob fest, but it has kill streaks!

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

It's not that the Japanese games industry that is dying - It's the console industry that is declining. Since Japan's gaming industry is virtually all about console gaming, it is feeling the biggest damage out of all regions.

Proprietary hardware will be a thing of the past.

Solid_Snake4RD said:
Antabus said:

I don't think I would mind if Japanese games industry would die. Yeah, I know.. more competition means better games but still.

are you an FPS lover or a PC gamer

I do like fps-games and I also play some pc games. I just don't see your point.

Seems that Itagaki's comments are more on Japan's problems as a whole rather than lack of genuine talent. What Japan needs it seems is a good kick in the ass and to stop being so damn insecure.

Around the Network
Antabus said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
Antabus said:

I don't think I would mind if Japanese games industry would die. Yeah, I know.. more competition means better games but still.

my point was that only FPS gamers and PC gamers would not mind Japanese games indutry falling

Solid_Snake4RD said:
Antabus said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
Antabus said:

my point was that only FPS gamers and PC gamers would not mind Japanese games indutry falling

Oh, why is that? I also enjoy racers, rpg:s, strategy games, sports games and some action/sandbox games. I own 12 japanese games for this gen and I have only completed 2 of them. Those 2 games were pretty good. But those other games, eww.

I guess you have no point.

--- edited ---

How could I forget sports games.

Antabus said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
Antabus said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
Antabus said:

Oh, why is that? I also enjoy racers, rpg:s, strategy games, sports games and some action/sandbox games. I own 12 japanese games for this gen and I have only completed 2 of them. Those 2 games were pretty good. But those other games, eww.

I guess you have no point.

--- edited ---

How could I forget sports games.

but you din't like majority and my point is that if you don't like japanese games then you wouldn't mind them going down

That can't be right, Nintendo saved it, remember?

Mummelmann said:

That can't be right, Nintendo saved it, remember?

no