By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Another Analyst Suggests Wii 1.5 On the Way

DVD Wii (aka: Panasonic Q2) returns!

Around the Network

i think that nintendo grabbed the casual market, and that they arent going to leave it.

they are fine, but bringing new ip's would never hurt.

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

Severance said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Kung Fu Live is another game that involves you staring at yourself flailing at objects. The only thing unique about is it gets an outline of your body and understands some gestures.

After all these years that's the best they have to offer? Its still light years behind any Kinect game.

Watch this video if you want to see how sloppy the actual game is... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJR_QzWGhGo

i wonder what this "Light years ahead" game you are talking about, i want to see a live demo!

Edit : that video actually looks awesome, whats sloppy about it? thanks for showing it , i was very skeptical.

If you're impressed by that... well good for you. It remains true to almost every Eyetoy game. You stare at your self and flail at things. Not exactly cutting edge. And I find it funny people compare that to what we're seeing on the Kinect.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
Severance said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Kung Fu Live is another game that involves you staring at yourself flailing at objects. The only thing unique about is it gets an outline of your body and understands some gestures.

After all these years that's the best they have to offer? Its still light years behind any Kinect game.

Watch this video if you want to see how sloppy the actual game is... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJR_QzWGhGo

i wonder what this "Light years ahead" game you are talking about, i want to see a live demo!

Edit : that video actually looks awesome, whats sloppy about it? thanks for showing it , i was very skeptical.

If you're impressed by that... well good for you. It remains true to almost every Eyetoy game. You stare at your self and flail at things. Not exactly cutting edge. And I find it funny people compare that to what we're seeing on the Kinect.

What exactly are we seeing on the Kinect? just give me an example.

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

On-topic: About the only thing Nintendo may do is create a combined controller with WM and/or a DVD playback kit.  As far as adding HD video playback or a HDD for game saves, the added cost and the risk of making the current owners upset would outweigh any benefit. Finally, improved on-line could probably be done universally and (near) instantly through a firmware update.

On-tangent:

@ Mr Puggsly: Even today, Kinect will sell for three-quarters of the cost of a Wii console. That will be a tough sell for an add-on.  Even at one-third adoption rate, you are looking at a market of less than 15 million units presently -- not enough for third-party developers to work on.  Plus, there is the audience mismatch between those who are most apt to appreciate controller-free games and those who traditionally play the Xbox 360. That will make marketing difficult.

@thranx: Microsoft's software expertise is more in applications and operating systems than in games.  So I am not sure that it will be able to deliver the software needed for single-handedly make Kinect uber-successful.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Around the Network
Severance said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Severance said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Well just a few examples. Controlling the exact movements of 3D models is something we've never seen on the Eyetoy.

I've yet to see any games where you drive merely using your hands. Antigrav was the closest the Eyetoy had and its probably the best it can do.

Kinectimals is difficult to describe. It actually responds to movements, gestures, poses, etc. Minigames are played are played in similar fashion as party games. Eyepet could easily be recreated on the Kinect and then some. But Kinectimals wouldn't be the same game on Eyetoy.

You may have also seen that you can control a cursor for guiding menus with you hand. That's also how you conrol a crosshair for a shooter called Child of Eden. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't recall seeing anything like that on the Eyetoy.

Those are a few examples of how the Kinect is superior. This is just first gen as well. Who knows what they'll do down the road?

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

I think software is the only thing that will sell more Wiis. It is already really small and they have provided a make-shift storage solution with SD cards. The Wii did so well because they could appeal to the casual crowd, these people will not care for more memory and a smaller package if it doesn't provide anything new.

Mr Puggsly said:
Severance said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Severance said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Well just a few examples. Controlling the exact movements of 3D models is something we've never seen on the Eyetoy.

I've yet to see any games where you drive merely using your hands. Antigrav was the closest the Eyetoy had and its probably the best it can do.

Kinectimals is difficult to describe. It actually responds to movements, gestures, poses, etc. Minigames are played are played in similar fashion as party games. Eyepet could easily be recreated on the Kinect and then some. But Kinectimals wouldn't be the same game on Eyetoy.

You may have also seen that you can control a cursor for guiding menus with you hand. That's also how you conrol a crosshair for a shooter called Child of Eden. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't recall seeing anything like that on the Eyetoy.

Those are a few examples of how the Kinect is superior. This is just first gen as well. Who knows what they'll do down the road?

i want you to show me a video or a handon on what you are talking about

also its called PSEye not Eyetoy the Eyetoy is different from what is on PS3.

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

@ Mr Puggsly: Even today, Kinect will sell for three-quarters of the cost of a Wii console. That will be a tough sell for an add-on.  Even at one-third adoption rate, you are looking at a market of less than 15 million units presently -- not enough for third-party developers to work on.  Plus, there is the audience mismatch between those who are most apt to appreciate controller-free games and those who traditionally play the Xbox 360. That will make marketing difficult.

Well its already climbing the preorder charts and interest seems to be high. Also, I predict the 360 and Kinect bundle will be a pretty big seller. I mean a 360, Kinect, and Kinect Adventures isn't a bad deal fo $299.

Would 15 million units be bad? The Wii Balance Board hasn't hit that and I still consider it a great success. The only reason the Balance Board doesn't get much software is because it has little potential for anything outside of work out games. But I don't expect big budget games on the Kinect anyhow. And hopefully MS won't let developers flood the market with shit games that barely take advantage of the hardware.

You really have no proof that its a mismatch for the current 360 audience. And it might be a great success at bringing new people to the 360. Who knows? But things aren't looking bad so far.

Recently Completed

the need a dvd, music player, enhanced online, 16gb (with a lot of colors and mario & zelda limited editions) wii

That would explode