By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Another Analyst Suggests Wii 1.5 On the Way

What his there on the wii that can be slimed down ????????

Wii is already a slim console  because the technology it uses was already downsized as opposed to 360 or ps3 that had cutting edge technology that hadn't had the time to be shrunk

A wii 1.5 would be a massive mistake for nintendo, these analysts, some times i think they dont have anything inside there heads

Around the Network
NiKKoM said:
09tarheel said:

I do think after seeing how well these strategies worked for the X360 and PS3 it would be a good time to actually copy a marketing strategy. A repackaging and rebranding of the system with a few new features accompanied by the next $50 price cut would probably do well. The PS2 used a couple of slim models to get to its status as best selling home console of all time, Wii might as well try it also.

Copy? nintendo doesn't copy!!!!! ;)

*looks at gba and DSs versions*

That's a good point, Nintendo certainly does lots of revisions on their handheld hardware, but I don't remember them trying a similar approach to home consoles, besides just different colors. I do think a DSi like Wii upgrade would be a good idea, the console could just be in a new more attractive design instead of actually smaller. Add in a couple of nice features but not required for vast majority of retail games and it might boster the Wii for a year or so the way the DSi did.

If Nintendo makes a Wii 1.5 I won't get it. I rather get have the Wii's successor.

And which 3rd party's stock is Screen Digest pushing? EA? Square Enix?

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

I do not see how that could be a good idea, especially if he thinks they will then release a new console with in two years after that. For sony it worked because it was the same ps3 as far as games are concerned, just smaller, for xbox it may work because it is something that can be added to current skus. For nintendo I would thik their best strategy now would be to lower the price. They have only had one price drop right? Maybe add some colors but thats it.

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
palancas7 said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Viper1 said:

But the tech isn't very and contradicts the Wii's concept of using gestures, pointing and buttons.

It would be impossible to do most of Nintendo's big games via Kinect hardware.

Well they could have offered both the WIimote and Kinect technology.

... and sell the Wii for $500

Oh boy, its amazing how I need to elaborate to you Nintendo fans.

First of all its not that expensive and I'm not saying they should have launched it with the Wii. They should have jumped on the opportunity to get the technology. They could have saved it for a little later into the Wii's life or use it on the next Nintendo console.

For example, the Wii Balance Board wasn't released with the Wii. It was an accessory that came a little later was a success. Same goes for Wiimotion and other crap they are putting out. Kinect could have been another great addition to Wii peripherals or the gimmick for their next console.

Did you know that Nintendo already developed a motion tracking camera?  Full body tracking, just like Kinect.  But its use was limited by the nature of being a motion capture camera.  So they sold the rights to Ubisoft.

So Kinect was offered to them before hand, they also developed their own camera and in both instances concluded that it would not be as beneficial to them as you are suggesting it would be.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

A Wii 1.5 implies a significant HW change. I would be surprised if Ninty went that way for a retail cycle of 1 yr-18 months only.

A Wii 1.1 I could see happening. It's now the least sexy looking console on the market (yes I reckon 360 phat (esp the white casing) is a fugly console, 360s is a different proposition all together), so a new case design at least is in order. Then again the DS is butt ugly compared to PSP and that didn't hurt sales one bit.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

4GB internal memory and integrated motion , Zelda bundle I'm calling it now. lol

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Viper1 said:

Did you know that Nintendo already developed a motion tracking camera?  Full body tracking, just like Kinect.  But its use was limited by the nature of being a motion capture camera.  So they sold the rights to Ubisoft.

So Kinect was offered to them before hand, they also developed their own camera and in both instances concluded that it would not be as beneficial to them as you are suggesting it would be.

I've seen it and I have no reason to believe it has anymore capabilities than the Eyetoy. Hence, Nintendo likely got rid of it because it wasn't unique and looks like crap compared to the Kinect.

By the way, I know Nintendo said they turned down motion tracking. But were they implying they turned down the same technology being used by MS? Because that's a very important detail to this story.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

And Kinect does more than the PS Eye?  So far, I find no differnce in the gaming capabilites of the 2.  And the style of the camera is irrelevant.  They could have designe the shell to look like anythign they wanted.  Ubisoft simply made it look like a basic web cam.  Which, by the way, is all the RGB camera in Kinect is.  It's a standard low resolution, low refresh rate web camera.

And yes, I am 100% positive they turned down the technology prior to it being offered to MS.  Sony also turned it down.

The rEVOLution is not being televised