By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will PS3 Be Able To Out Sell 360 For Any Of The Remaining Weeks This Year?

Will PS3 Be Able To Out Sell 360 For Any Of The Remaining Weeks This Year?

Yes quite a few of them too 303 52.15%

None World Wide 117 20.14%

Only a few but it wont matter 161 27.71%

Total:581

I reckon it'll be pretty tit for tat the rest of the year. Both consoles have some big releases which i think will shift consoles and then there is the mega CD and 64DD, sorry Move and Kinect which could have quite a substantial effect on the market.

Around the Network

errr..i dunno.  as it stands right now ps3 should win a week or two (GT release) but overall ms looks to be winning the rest of this year.  then again, i just don't see sony making their 15M projections so maybe things won't say as they are.  i mean, the only way ps3 reaches 15M imo is a price cut and that changes everything...

kitler53 said:

errr..i dunno.  as it stands right now ps3 should win a week or two (GT release) but overall ms looks to be winning the rest of this year.  then again, i just don't see sony making their 15M projections so maybe things won't say as they are.  i mean, the only way ps3 reaches 15M imo is a price cut and that changes everything...

I don't see them making that projection either without some drastic actions.  Last year they adjusted their PSP projections from 15 million to 10 million, so they could always adjust the PS3's down to 13 million or less.

yo_john117 said:
BHR-3 said:
leo-j said:

They already have, don't need your opinion telling me other wise

As for this holiday season, considering the ps3 is going to be the cheapest movie playing 3D blu ray player, and 3d has been taking off, and should really take off in 2011 due to cheaper tv's releasing, I don't know why it wouldn't push ps3 hardware sales. Especially since retailers are going to have MOVE plus 3D glasses to play games in 3D with sony employees in actual stores demonstrating it.. that's a huge attraction in my eyes.

So who knows. The 360 has the price advantage, and maybe the brand recognition in AMERICA/UK, but everywhere else? Especially Japan?

it does i thought the prices are the same as last year 300 vs 200 and 300? what happened then?

also what i think leo is trying to say is that ps3 has bluray a HDD and costs 300 where as 360s sku with a HDD is also 300 but no bluray

You know thats never really made a difference before.

yes it has once the ps3 is within $100-130 of the 360 it has been able to outsell WW when ps3 was 400 and 360 was 200 360 won WW and when ps3 launched it was $280 vs $500 and 360 was winning till it went to 280 vs 400 in late 07

it wont matter to those that are set on a 360 but costumers that really dont care about preference or are unsure what to buy its when it matters 

Play Me

BHR-3 said:
yo_john117 said:
BHR-3 said:
leo-j said:

They already have, don't need your opinion telling me other wise

As for this holiday season, considering the ps3 is going to be the cheapest movie playing 3D blu ray player, and 3d has been taking off, and should really take off in 2011 due to cheaper tv's releasing, I don't know why it wouldn't push ps3 hardware sales. Especially since retailers are going to have MOVE plus 3D glasses to play games in 3D with sony employees in actual stores demonstrating it.. that's a huge attraction in my eyes.

So who knows. The 360 has the price advantage, and maybe the brand recognition in AMERICA/UK, but everywhere else? Especially Japan?

it does i thought the prices are the same as last year 300 vs 200 and 300? what happened then?

also what i think leo is trying to say is that ps3 has bluray a HDD and costs 300 where as 360s sku with a HDD is also 300 but no bluray

You know thats never really made a difference before.

yes it has once the ps3 is within $100-130 of the 360 it has been able to outsell WW when ps3 was 400 and 360 was 200 360 won WW and when ps3 launched it was $300 vs $500 and 360 was winning till it went to 280 vs 400 in late 07

it wont matter to those that are set on a 360 but costumers that really dont care about preference or are unsure what to buy its when it matters 

Fixed.

Consumers that don't care about preference will also not care about minor differences in features.  They will likely go based on price alone...

Obviously the bluray and HDD really never made much of a difference.  It was price and games that made a difference.

Around the Network

1-2 weeks maybe . the rest , not so much

nightsurge said:
I don't see them making that projection either without some drastic actions.  Last year they adjusted their PSP projections from 15 million to 10 million, so they could always adjust the PS3's down to 13 million or less.

Until now the projection of them is right... PS3 is over 30% y/y... this means 17M for year (13M more 30%)...  but after September had the Slim and price cut launch last year... so this number will be decreasing after September and could drop to 15% y/y.

13M 2009 more 15% = 15M

Epic Win Sony.

So it's very possible... Sony sold to retailer 2.6M in weakest time of year (Q1)... from now sales should increase for the other 3 quarters.

ethomaz said:
nightsurge said:

Until now the projection of them is right... PS3 is over 30% y/y... this means 17M for year (13M more 30%)...  but after September had the Slim and price cut launch last year... so this number will be decreasing after September and could drop to 15% y/y.

13M 2009 more 15% = 15M

Epic Win Sony.

So it's very possible... Sony sold to retailer 2.6M in weakest time of year (Q1)... from now sales should increase for the other 3 quarters.

you may want to reconsider your math.  sales are even throughout the year.  in the first 8 months of last year ps3 sold 4.2M and in the last 4 months sold 7.78M.  being up 30% in the first half won't weight equally with being down 30% in the holidays.

@ nightsurge - that would be the other option.  we'll see i guess but either things say as is and ps3 loses to the 360 pretty consitantly or things change and i reevalute my outlook.

kitler53 said:
you may want to reconsider your math.  sales are even throughout the year.  in the first 8 months of last year ps3 sold 4.2M and in the last 4 months sold 7.78M.  being up 30% in the first half won't weight equally with being down 30% in the holidays.

How? 4.2 more 7.8 = 12M... Sony shipped 13M last fiscal year.

Q1: 2009 1.1M - 2010 2.4M (120%)
Q2: 2009 3.2M - 2010 3.2M (-5%)
Q3: 2009 6.5M - 2010 5.8M  (-10%)
Q4: 2009 2.2M - 2010 3.3M (50%)

FY 2010 = 14.7M

I believe in this numbers if MOVE a success.

Depends what kind of Buzz Kinect generates, but more than likely GT5 week