By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 sales half a million in India.

Maybe they are in love with "DA CELL" seriously, they are a bunch of devs, why not buy a lot of PS3 just to put Linux on it and make a hello Word... I can't find another explanation to those numbers... man 500k

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."
Around the Network

Maybe someone provided the monetary amount and it got assumed to be the number of consoles.

While I see half a million -- I don't see consoles or units or hardware attached to it -- except indirectly through context.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

It's also possible they are tracking consoles sold to retailers in India, rather than what retailers have sold to the people themselves.

Otherwise, there are two possibilities i see:

1) India was introduced to gaming via PS2 and don't even realize that there is a brand besides Sony Playstation

2) India actually is looking at the PS3 as a true media hub. In America, UK and Europe, most people who would have any interest in the features of the PS3 already have the the other electronic devices, making the PS3 a mostly redundant purchase. If India has been a bit behind the leading edge, then PS3 may be introducing a variety of features that actually make the $400 - $600 much more reasonable.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

mike_intellivision said:
Maybe someone provided the monetary amount and it got assumed to be the number of consoles.

While I see half a million -- I don't see consoles or units or hardware attached to it -- except indirectly through context.

You're right: "PS3 has managed half a million since its launch late last year."

It doesn't specify units sold or dollars.

Aside from the straight up error explanation, this is the best answer I have seen yet.

That would be around 670 PS3s.

"The high cost of the console (it retails at Rs 29,990)"

Rs 30,000

Rs 40 = $1

So in India, a PS3 costs the equivalent of $750 US dollars.

India's real GDP per capita is $964, so a $750 PS3 would be 78% of that.

In the US, real GDP per capita is $39,700, so at $500 a 80GB PS3 would be 1.26% of that.

So a PS3 is essentially 62 times more expensive for the average Indian person, compared to the average American person buying the 80GB model.

So 670 PS3s to a country of 1.136 billion people is probably accurate. Think of it this way, around 3 million PSs have been sold in America. If they were ten times as expensive, or $5,000, clearly it would have sold under 1/10 as well (300,000) as it has. This is 62 times. And in fact it's still not the same because in India you have 33% of the population that can barely afford food, clothing, and shelter. Hell, there are only 60 million internet users in India, and most of those are dial up connections. What percentage of the population has TVs? What percentage has electricity?

I'm guessing aside from a few extremely wealthy kids, most of those are being sold to Indian software engineers who moved back home from the US and Europe.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

Two more quick points.

First, a report on Gaming Guru, appeared to talk about the inital sales of the Xbox 360 in India. Released about a month before the PS3 in that country, its first month sales were reported to be 865 consoles.

Second, an interview with a top Sony executive that went along with the article in question seems to show that the 40G unit had not made it to India. He talked about how it spurred sales in the US -- but no mention of India sales. (Quote below)

Sony Computer Entertainment, which recently celebrated the first anniversary of its Playstation3 gaming console, is now looking for a bigger market share in India. The company’s co-chief operating officer Jim Ryan discusses its marketing strategy with ET.

How is Sony countering the Xbox ?

Since last quarter, we have reduced the price for Playstation to $499 in the US and are planning to launch other low-capacity models in India. Since then, we have nearly averaged at 100,000 units sold per month. We have even repriced the 60GB model at Rs 29,999 and are in the final stages of launching the 40GB model at an even lower price point. This way we are looking to bring the price differentiation down. So when we come out at these price points, which are lower than our nearest competitor, you would see a different picture by the next year.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Around the Network
mike_intellivision said:

Two more quick points.

First, a report on Gaming Guru, appeared to talk about the inital sales of the Xbox 360 in India. Released about a month before the PS3 in that country, its first month sales were reported to be 865 consoles.

Second, an interview with a top Sony executive that went along with the article in question seems to show that the 40G unit had not made it to India. He talked about how it spurred sales in the US -- but no mention of India sales. (Quote below)

Sony Computer Entertainment, which recently celebrated the first anniversary of its Playstation3 gaming console, is now looking for a bigger market share in India. The company’s co-chief operating officer Jim Ryan discusses its marketing strategy with ET.

How is Sony countering the Xbox ?

Since last quarter, we have reduced the price for Playstation to $499 in the US and are planning to launch other low-capacity models in India. Since then, we have nearly averaged at 100,000 units sold per month. We have even repriced the 60GB model at Rs 29,999 and are in the final stages of launching the 40GB model at an even lower price point. This way we are looking to bring the price differentiation down. So when we come out at these price points, which are lower than our nearest competitor, you would see a different picture by the next year.

So there is "no mention of India sales" for the PS3...  and the "we have nearly averaged at 100,000 units sold per month" quote is for US sales.

And at one point the 60GB model was priced over 30,000 Rs in India, and the cheaper 40GB model has not launched there yet. 

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

Okay, I think at this point we can say with near 100% certainty that the PS3 has not sold 500,000 units in India, and anyone who believes it has is foolish.

@sinha:

Why you don`t want THAT much, that PS3 would succeed? =))
And again with 670 consoles in whole year, you sound like a fool.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Why don't you read the four posts directly above yours from myself and Mike and respond to the actual substance?

Do you know anything about India? No, of course not.

500K is impossible for India ,if they had sold 50K they should be extremely happy .