By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 sales half a million in India.

leo-j said:
There are people arguing about vgchartz on the comments. And Hus is an idiot.

wait he is? i thought he was a cool guy.

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

Around the Network

India has a almost 1,000 billion USD economy (nominal). This number puts India close to Spain (in Spain there is 400,000 PS3 sold) so I don't think it's completly imposible. Of course tthis 1,000 billion is shared by many more people than in Spain but Indian spents a lot less money for goods like homes, food etc. India's GDP (PPP) is only smaller than USA' and China's and bigger than Japan's. I think that those numbers are unlikely but they aren't imposible taking in account India's economy.

@fishjoe:

Call me skeptical. I'd need to see more data to believe it. The numbers don't add up, because if India purchased that much, the PS3 would have to be over tracked somewhere else buy a huge amount.

I don't think you can prove that. You don't know shipment numbers for last quarter also in any given time you can't say how many PS3 retailers have. Unless there was a situation where vgchartz numbers + PS3 undertacked in India by vgchartz would be bigger than Sony' shipment number at any given time but this is highly unprobably (even if 0 PS3 were sold in India) as there is always at least 0.5 mil PS3 at retails.

CrazzyMan said:

"PS3 has managed half a million since its launch late last year."

You really are crazy if you believe that.  Please find that quote in the article.  You can't, because it's not there.

The ONLY time the term "million" is used in the entire article is: "PlayStation 2 (PS2) still being the highest-selling console in the world (110 million)"

This thread should be locked.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

libellule said:
so hard Crazzyman, so hard ...

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/Specials/Brand_Equity/Playstation_3_All_work_all_play/articleshow/msid-2595881,curpg-1.cms

Playstation 3: All work, all play

5 Dec, 2007, 0019 hrs IST,Preethi Chamikutty, TNN

Globally, PlayStation 3, Sony’s new flagship console has been a bit of a tough sell so far. It’s perhaps tougher still in a country like India where the gaming culture is just about beginning to find its feet and where the PC continues to be an easily available platform of choice.

The high cost of the console (it retails at Rs 29,990) and its software have all contributed to the product not particularly leaping off the shelves. In spite of the Sony brand name which has a lot of traction in India — the simple ‘It’s a Sony’ tagline has sold TVs, cameras and home theatres systems with an ease that many durable companies would kill for.

PlayStation came to India around 12 years back, but was unable to make much of a difference via legitimate channels in such a price-sensitive market. It makes the task of Tim Stokes, sales and marketing director, PlayStation Division even tougher.

On the positive side there’s Sony’s reputation for innovation and the offer of significantly better graphics. It was this winning combination that made the original PlayStation a huge success when it was launched. The gamer community welcomed the new console with a lot of enthusiasm and it soon broke all records, with PlayStation 2 (PS2) still being the highest-selling console in the world (110 million). The charm of PS2 endures to date, even in an era where its graphics are hopelessly dated; the sheer number of consoles in the global market makes it impossible for a developer to ignore.

Stokes is optimistic though because some of the problems with the market in India are not exclusive to it. Consoles overseas gained ground only after they began singing a different tune, positioning themselves as more of an entertainment device for the whole family than just a gaming rig. Stokes shares an insight, “Today we have more than 40% of market share in the UK, and this happened because of the proliferation of hi-definition TVs, adoption of technology like DVD, etc which helped the PlayStation be more than just a gaming console,” he says.

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE), responsible for the distribution, marketing and sales of PS3, PS2 and the PSP, worked closely with the UK National Curriculum to help spread the word about benefits of games for children. This, according to Stokes, has helped change the negative perception that parents had about games to some extent.

Stokes is responsible for the Middle East, Africa and Indian markets, which he says are similar in terms of huge populations, but the challenges, have been geographical reach and the difficulty in distribution and marketing. “Piracy has been the biggest problem in all the three markets, though both PS1 and PS2 have been incredibly successful in the region it has been difficult to sell software due to lack of IPR enforcement,” he groans.

Congrats, libellule, you're one of the few people on this site who knows how to read.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

@ sinha

I don't want to make you look stupid, but before criticizing other people's reading comprehension, you might want to learn what the word "continued..." means.

The original quote is taken from the sixth paragraph on page 2.

As to whether or not it is true, I would say that it is unlikely but certainly not outside the realms of possibility. 

Around the Network
sinha said:
CrazzyMan said:

You really are crazy if you believe that.  Please find that quote in the article.  You can't, because it's not there.

The ONLY time the term "million" is used in the entire article is: "PlayStation 2 (PS2) still being the highest-selling console in the world (110 million)"

it's actually in the original article. You just have to move onto the second page.

Of course, it's complete bullshit. There is absolutely no way that Sony have moved half a million PS3s in India. The article is obviously wrong.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

FishyJoe said:
Branko2166 said:
I don't know about India but I see no reason why the ps3 and other consoles shouldn't have more success in China seeing how there is an emerging middle class there especially in the coastal provinces.

Because if there isn't pirated software, nobody will buy it. The only way to make profit in China is if the hardware is profitable. 

.. Living in China for months going there for years I can tell ya that a lot of people in China are buying legal software. Their are more Warcraft buyers in China than the USA so there is a market that is growing very fast.

I am not sure but I thought you couldn't play Pirated games on X360/PS3 when they have online play. I thought if Ms or Sony found out you play pirated games online they ban your account.

sinha said:
CrazzyMan said:

You really are crazy if you believe that. Please find that quote in the article. You can't, because it's not there.

Although PS2 is still the best-seller across the world and in India, PS3 has managed half a million since its launch late last year. “Indian culture is very different; parents are not very open to the idea of gaming which we hope we will be able to change. We plan to setup local PlayStation stores in India next year, so that customers have the chance to touch and feel the product and clear doubts with people who actually know it well,” states Stokes. SCEE also has plans to improve its distribution network by increasing the number of local touch-points.

To address the price concern, SCEE is looking at producing games and accessories locally which will help bring the cost down. Although there have been losses this year, Stokes is positive about the future, “A PlayStation can be used to do everything from viewing video to playing MP3s, internet...it is much more than a console.” The gaming industry is seeing a lot of action, with even chip manufacturer NVIDIA expected to get in on a bit of the action.

omgwtfbbq said:

it's actually in the original article. You just have to move onto the second page.

Of course, it's complete bullshit. There is absolutely no way that Sony have moved half a million PS3s in India. The article is obviously wrong.

Hmm, correct, yet obviously wrong. 

Since this is a sales site, ioi or someone else connected to vgchartz should write to the editor (there's a link at the top of the article) and ask where the figure came from.

i dont think its right,unless they mean the whole ps family or somthing