By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Is it unethical to keep those in a vegetative state/coma alive?

This is a rather controversial issue that had America's interest piqued for some time. I think we should bring it over to the forums.

(Note: This may have been an old thread, but due to there being no search function, please don't bring up if it is a duplicate since reviving the old thread would be pointless)

In my opinion, I think it's completely selfish to keep them alive. Those whose loved ones have become vegetables try to delay their deaths as long as possible with life support in an attempt to delay their own grief. If the person is truly a vegetable, then nothing can bring them back. They don't have any reason to stay in this world a have a right to pass on. To keep them alive as an attempt to merely postpone any sadness is, in my opinion, selfish.

However, these feelings don't extend to coma patients. This is because that there is actually a chance they can come back unlike vegetables. I honestly think it depends on the chance of recovery they have. If faced with the choice of pulling the plug, I am deeply unsure of what I would do. What if there was a chance of recovery? What if they could stay alive? I couldn't pull the plug. But to keep on to my hope that they could come back when they really might not is just as selfish. My actions would be to keep them alive, but if they stay in a coma for too long, then I would pull the plug.

Thoughts?

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

Around the Network

Did you just watch South Park?

As far as I know, I dont belive anybody has returned from a vegagtable state. If here is no science that allows its to happen, then it is pointless to keep living, but some ppl have been known to communicate with eye movement..so let it be thier choice

rakugakist said:

Did you just watch South Park?

Yep. I felt like bringing it up here.

It'll be interesting.

(and help my gamrPoints)

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

If Hitler was in a coma would you pull the plug?

Around the Network

Vegetable- yank the plug.

Coma- give them a grace period of a few years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Signalstar said:

Vegetable- yank the plug.

Coma- give them a grace period of a few years.

agreed

it is unethical for vegetative since their lives can no longer b fixed.

If the person in coma still has chances to live it isn't unethical

We could use them as stunt men, crash test dummies, test medication on them, use them as living decorations, use them to ride in the car pool lanes, use them as dates for ugly people, scarecrows, etc.  There's a million uses for people in a vegitative state.  Pulling the plug would be such a waste.  Also, I'm going to hell.

I agree with your OP.

It's downright selfish and waste of resources.