By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Its time to admit it. PS3 will outsell the 360 in about 3 years

Squilliam said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
Squilliam said:

Ahh, so you're in the purist camp on the whole debate on system sellers? I.E. Has to show a major boost or its just a blip.

i was waiting for you to show up. i must admit i have a new found respect for you, but none the less i agree.

i'm not sure if either can boost console sells. (i'm more in favor of GT5 doing it then Halo only because it's the first real release in the GT franchise on current gen consoles)

it always seems that sequels boost sells of consoles and sell better then there predecessors, but i also believe that reviews (not for me) marketing, and advertisement play the biggest role and the Halo train has already started so it's easy to see why Halo would do so well. 

Well, I have been trying to be good, making good posts and not cause too much trouble!

There are so many different facets to a large release and whatever systems actually do get moved as a result of a big game release. However the most important is expanding the market for the console beyond its present userbase restrictions. There are always lapsed gamers for any system who may end up rebuying it for a big release and there are always people on the periphery to current owners who are already tempted to buy a console but haven't yet been pushed over the edge.

The best market and most worthwhile expansion worthy of the name system seller is to areas of the market which are outside the typical userbase already on the console. GT5 fits this bill far better than Halo: Reach so the quality of the systems it sells is of far more importance to the long term success of the PS3 than Halo: Reach is to the Xbox 360. So whilst Halo: Reach will probably accelerate sales through the Xbox 360 owners social networks, the release of GT5 will allow the PS3 to sell to entirely new people altogether and thus will always be the bigger system seller of the two as the majority of systems sold by Reach have already been pre-sold to the market, Reach just seals the deal.

P.S. Probably the most important system seller for the Xbox 360 this year is ESPN, for the reasons listed above.

thats good to hear, but if you find a reason to do other wise i will understand.

agreed on all points. your on fire today! i definitely can see how GT5 would appeal to a widening base. 

i'm not sure about ESPN on the 360 being a system seller let alone being important to the 360 as a seller, but what do i know, i'm not a big sports fan even though my state team who dat won the super bowl. repeat anyone? 

do you believe move or Natal will have any major effect on holiday sells cause me my self is not convinced? 

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
Xoj said:

erm, it will do 4-5m just in europe alone, halo reach won't move consoles becasue halo3 and osdt already on the console. its userbase its there.

GT5 its first full GT, prologue did almost 4m? and 39% of GT5 buyers doesn't have even have a ps3.

You seem to understand trends... so explain to me why people buy the Xbox 360 every day? I mean its been out for years and people are barely buying it? Also, both ODST and Halo 3 rank fairly high in the sales charts. Why is that? Why didn't everyone interested in Halo buy those games a long time ago?

Basically I'm saying your logic is wrong. There will be a big sales spike of 360 consoles when Halo Reach hits the market. Neither of us can quite explain why, but it'll happen.

I won't even argue with your GT5 statistic. I imagine that was determined by a small survey and has no validity.

others games reach platfrom halo isnt the only game on the platform but most people that want to play halo 3-reach most likely have the console, bump won't be as big as Gt5 that's for sure, the boost in sales will be nil.

So many dreams will be broken when GT5 sells less then half Halo Reach.

Its dificult to me understand why people are so devoted to PS3 and Sony.

Are they Sony's emploees or stock holders?

You know, as a kid, I had an Nes.  It wasn't the most powerful console in the world but I had fun with it.  Later on, I got a Super Nes.  During that time, I engaged in argument after argument with people who owned a Sega Genesis over which console would sell more, which one had the best games, which one had the best controller, etc, etc, etc (even over the SNES version of SSF2 having 32gb of memory compared to the Genesis version having 40gb).  Eventually, the Snes won out.  I was right.

And do you know what happened after that?  Do you know what the end result of all of that cosole bashing, sales comparing, and blatant fanboyism was?

-The president gave me a medal, I received a check from Nintendo for $10,0000, and hot girls begged me for sex for months after that.  The console war is serious business.  Please continue!  You have no idea what's at stake!

d21lewis said:

You know, as a kid, I had an Nes.  It wasn't the most powerful console in the world but I had fun with it.  Later on, I got a Super Nes.  During that time, I engaged in argument after argument with people who owned a Sega Genesis over which console would sell more, which one had the best games, which one had the best controller, etc, etc, etc (even over the SNES version of SSF2 having 32gb of memory compared to the Genesis version having 40gb).  Eventually, the Snes won out.  I was right.

And do you know what happened after that?  Do you know what the end result of all of that cosole bashing, sales comparing, and blatant fanboyism was?

-The president gave me a medal, I received a check from Nintendo for $10,0000, and hot girls begged me for sex for months after that.  The console war is serious business.  Please continue!  You have no idea what's at stake!

HAHAHAHAHA :))

Man.... that is funny.

I would love having a PS3, playing great games like God of War 3 and Uncharted, but not GT5 or Move/SOCOM...

I'm waiting for Sony have price cut. 

Around the Network
Dark_Feanor said:

GT5 is above any devotion to Sony or PS3.

Same for Halo and Microsof/Xbox.

I was thinking its time to admit that ps3 doesn't stand a chance against 360. LOL. I'm pretty sure Xbox is going to dominate this holiday season. I don't see much changing next year either.

Dark_Feanor said:

People are devoted to certain companies, because they have fond memories of when they were young playing games on a console by a certain company.  PS3 is the latest in the line of consoles by Sony.

As far as GT5 vs Reach sales, it is hard to say what they will be.  It depends on how important driving sims are to people.  I don't see Reach giving the 360 a huge sales spike in consoles though.  GT5 might for the PS3 though.

Dark_Feanor said:

it's not devotion! if it was another game with given less appeal then you'd see different post. i wish i was a Sony stock holder.? i'd retire early and let the money flow in.

dreams! broken? i don't know! i think thats either when the spinning starts or they tie, but what more can Halo do?

look! this i what we have on our hands! the Single biggest selling exclusive racing franchise released on one console, and the single biggest selling FPS exclusive released on one console going head to head for the gold?

this is how i truly see things sells wise. September through Christmas holiday 2010.

GT5 5 to 9m

Halo 4 to 8m

In terms of quality games, the PS3 caught the 360 a long time ago IMO.