By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Its time to admit it. PS3 will outsell the 360 in about 3 years

A203D said:
Yeah this is something i'm worried about. not even MW2 or GTA4 have sold 10 mil on the PS3.

GTA4 not... but MW2 will be top 10 million next year... it's selling 40k a weak.

Around the Network
kain_kusanagi said:
unknown_soul89 said:

Okay seriously people saying the ps3 will never outsell the 360 need to do some fact checking, the 360 has been out for a year longer, so if ps3 is on the market for the same amount of time as the 360 it will outsell it (selling about 9.5 mil on average a year with about a 3.5 mil gab) and ps3 sells about 1 million more consoles a year then the 360 does, actually lets be more specific then that 

38.1/4= 9.525 million a year

41.7/5=8.34 million a year 

9.525-8.34= 1.185 million difference a year

41.7-38.1=3.6 million

3.6/1.185=3.037 years until the ps3 outsells the 360, assuming they both stay on the market

In three years this generation won't matter becuase it will be last gen while we all have moved on to the next gen. If Sony can't outsell the Xbox 360 before the next gen starts they will have lost. Nobody cares anymore about PS2 even though it's still selling. One thing is for sure, as far as sales are conserned, the PS3 is no PS2 and therefore won't have legs it's longer brother had.

The console war is a race with a finish line, once someone crosses the line the race is over.

I do want to add that the PS3 is not a failure even if it loses the HD war when the next war starts. It's just that Sony fans are so used to be in 1st place with the PS2/PS1 and getting everything first/exclusive, that being in third place is difficult to accept. Great games should be enough and it's not like Sony is going to go out of business or not make a PS4. It just means that Microsoft is here to stay and next generation will be even more competitive. This gen has proven that three consoles can thrive together so we all better get used to it becuase next gen will be similar.

compelling. love the last paragraph. it's so spot on.

i think the OP is off by 2 yr's meaning PS3 will lead the 360 next yr. just a personal opinion, but i an say it doesn't matter.

this is still the best gen ever!(give or take a few games LoL) 

MARCUSDJACKSON said:
kain_kusanagi said:
unknown_soul89 said:

Okay seriously people saying the ps3 will never outsell the 360 need to do some fact checking, the 360 has been out for a year longer, so if ps3 is on the market for the same amount of time as the 360 it will outsell it (selling about 9.5 mil on average a year with about a 3.5 mil gab) and ps3 sells about 1 million more consoles a year then the 360 does, actually lets be more specific then that 

41.7-38.1=3.6 million

3.6/1.185=3.037 years until the ps3 outsells the 360, assuming they both stay on the market

In three years this generation won't matter becuase it will be last gen while we all have moved on to the next gen. If Sony can't outsell the Xbox 360 before the next gen starts they will have lost. Nobody cares anymore about PS2 even though it's still selling. One thing is for sure, as far as sales are conserned, the PS3 is no PS2 and therefore won't have legs it's longer brother had.

The console war is a race with a finish line, once someone crosses the line the race is over.

I do want to add that the PS3 is not a failure even if it loses the HD war when the next war starts. It's just that Sony fans are so used to be in 1st place with the PS2/PS1 and getting everything first/exclusive, that being in third place is difficult to accept. Great games should be enough and it's not like Sony is going to go out of business or not make a PS4. It just means that Microsoft is here to stay and next generation will be even more competitive. This gen has proven that three consoles can thrive together so we all better get used to it becuase next gen will be similar.

i think the OP is off by 2 yr's meaning PS3 will lead the 360 next yr. just a personal opinion, but i an say it doesn't matter.

even if they do it won't be by much win or loose,i expect sony by middle of next gen release better shipped numbers than xbox360.

still for my tastes they had the best games, best recovery of a console, and should have been first if they went for cheaper

Xoj said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
kain_kusanagi said:
unknown_soul89 said:

41.7-38.1=3.6 million

even if they do it won't be by much win or loose,i expect sony by middle of next gen release better shipped numbers than xbox360.

still for my tastes they had the best games, best recovery of a console, and should have been first if they went for cheaper

i couldn't agree more.

cmeese47 said:

Meanwhile the Playstation has a very strong lineup to match with Move, Little Big Planet 2, Killzone 3 and Gran Turismo 5. Those titles should help them weather the 360 storm this year. Then you got the Agency, Infamous 2, Uncharted 3, Resistance 3, Last Guardian, Twisted Metal, FF VS. XIII, and FFXIV which should help them. They also have Blu-ray which is getting better attach rates all the time, 3D, and the DVR kit not released in America.

How can you pencil in Agency now as some sort of AAA exclusive that will be so awesome that it will tip sales towards the PS3's favor when NOTHING is know about the game except its logo and the fact it is set in 1970s during the Cold War?  It is AMAZINGLY presumptive to do this.   And exactly what is Resistance 3 supposed to do here?  Resistance 2 had disappointing sales.   Just because a game is a PS3 exclusive is no guarantee it would be awesome.  The same goes that it is by Rockstar.  Rockstar alone isn't a guarantee either.

Around the Network
BenVTrigger said:

Halo Reach is going to sell alot of 360's. 

I can't wait for the mountains of crow to give people that think otherwise

Why?  If Halo 3 and Halo ODST didn't get people to buy a 360, why would Reach do it?  One can say that Halo Reach will sell a lot, but that doesn't mean much in regards to moving consoles. 

tuscaniman said:
Jay520 said:
tuscaniman said:
Jay520 said:
tuscaniman said:

The $199 arcade is not available right now so 360 and PS3 are the same price.

Really? how long has this been going on?

Since June when the slim was announced. Pay attention. All arcades have been sold out for a few weeks now. Good luck finding one in a store.

Are they sold out or is Microsoft not making any?

MS stopped production of the arcades and elites awhile ago. I would go as far as to say all reduced priced model arcades are sold out therefore maybe a few elites and the new 360s models are the only ones available. New slim arcade model hits stores this month but I don't know when.

Where I am, there are still a few of the older models around, but the newer model at $299 keeps selling out.  I believe I have also seen a few arcade units to.

richardhutnik said:
BenVTrigger said:

Halo Reach is going to sell alot of 360's. 

I can't wait for the mountains of crow to give people that think otherwise

Why?  If Halo 3 and Halo ODST didn't get people to buy a 360, why would Reach do it?  One can say that Halo Reach will sell a lot, but that doesn't mean much in regards to moving consoles. 

I think alot of people are over estimating the impact that games have on console sales.  Most of the time consoles will only get a short term spike in sales through blockbuster game releases.  

When Halo 3 released NPD had the 360 outselling the PS3 5:1 for the month of September. To me that is getting people to buy a 360.

http://www.product-reviews.net/2007/10/19/xbox-360-outsells-ps3-5-to-1-which-is-your-favourite-console/

Three years sounds about right for the 'neXus' or whatever but the 360 won't stop at that point like xbox.  I expect a small LT HW win for Sony but it looks less and less likely they'll be leading by 2013. There will be about 6B people who have never played a video game at that point and at $100 or so,  with these libraries at bargain-bin prices, we can expect both HD consoles to be selling well.  I've never understood the market saturation concept.  Every new internet connection and decent job around the world creates another potential gamer.  If the 360 is still cheaper it may still offset the BR advantage.  Not sure what point is proven by which box sells slightly more in the 'History of Video Gaming' vol. 6.  This gen's winner is all decided.  If trends continue there will be no losers.     

Speaking of weeks to watch Nov. 2nd GT5, Nov. 4th KInect will be interesting.  The Last Guardian could get buried on the 1st.  Check out Oct. SW releases.  There are 5 must-plays for me that month.  How will GOW3, ME2, FFXIII, HR, SMG2, RDR etc. do in their first holiday sell-a-thon and what gets bundled?   Home console sales should be close for a change. 

CharmedontheWB:  I believe that's ignoramii as the plural like hippopottamii and we're fine with it.  I can't speak for fanpersons and trollfolk.  Who I refer to as 'Haters' and 'The Stoned'.

Fumanchu: Nice posts!  Apropos. The Reach bundle looks shiny and will move some consoles.  It is a small HW upgrade and an extra controller alone would go for $60.  It will be hard to judge exactly but more than the Halo Haters here are hoping. 

I didn't spit out any numbers because there are none to quote.  This is why I said all this bullshit speculation with your kitchen statistics isn't worth a damn.  And apparently you have not been paying attention because that closing gap you seem so fond of is widening once again.  You write about all of Sony's future initiatives...you seem to be under the impression that MS will just sit idle.  And that's right, Christmas is coming and yet you seem to already predict that Sony will outsell the 360--and yet you have no cold hard facts that demonstrate this illusion.  Until you have something substantial and not anymore of these retarded statistics, I don't want to hear anymore about this nonsense topic.  Fanboy, give it a rest already.  Hope you do not speculate in the financial markets, otherwise you might lose your shirt.