By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - CNN: Kinect is impressive

unknown_soul89 said:

Kinect hasn't exactly proven itself better then wii's party games though, and casuals don't like to spend alot or own multiple consoles, so the fact that wii already owns the market makes it doubtful that people are going to go out and get kinect unless they really buy into MSes BS marketing

Better?!?!?! How could they possibly be worse? Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort are the biggest piece of craps I ever played. I sold them and bought some real games.

I don't know why you consider MS's marketing BS. Oh right, you're bias and think everything they do is crap. No point in debating that with you.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Smidlee said:
selnor said:
NJ5 said:
welshbloke said:
NJ5 said:

My calculator evaluates trillions of possible answers to 1 plus 1 every second. It knows that it is not 3, or 4, or 5, or ....

That's the only sense by which Kinect can evaluate anything trillions of times per frame.

I could take your point or I could believe that this chap knows his onions.

PhD at Edinburgh University, 1992:
Stable Segmentation of 2D Curves

Andrew Fitzgibbon is a senior researcher at Microsoft Research, Cambridge, UK. His research interests are in the intersection of computer vision and computer graphics, with excursions into neuroscience. Recent papers have been on the recovery of 3D geometry from 2D images, general-purpose camera calibration, human 3D perception, and the application of natural image statistics to problems of figure/ground separation and new-view synthesis.

He has twice received the IEEE's Marr Prize, the highest in computer vision; and software he wrote won an Engineering Emmy Award in 2002 for significant contributions to the creation of complex visual effects. In 2006 he was awarded the Roger Needham Award for his contributions to computer vision and machine learning.

He studied Mathematics and Computer Science at University College Cork and at Heriot-Watt University, and received his PhD from Edinburgh University in 1997, then spending 8 years at Oxford University's Department of Engineering Science before joining Microsoft in 2005.

I don't care if the guy is a Nobel Prize winning astronaut who has fucked Claudia Schiffer, that quote is wrong by the simple fact that the only mainstream hardware which can do a trillion of anything per second is a very fast GPU, and that's when counting very simple operations like a floating point calculation (and it's not even 30 trillion per second which would be required for doing it at 30 fps).

Listen to NJ5 a forum poster on the good old interwebz, or 

someone who knows what they are talking about.

Hmm. Love the internet.

What do you think this statement really means?

"What Natal does, is it evaluates effectively trillions of body configurations every frame. We've made it do that 30 times a second."

X360 does not even have  a trillion bits.  Trillion is a really huge number. I've heard that  a trillion dollars in 100 dollar bills would stack in a pile that's 67 miles high.

Personally Ive seen the statement before. Kinect is supposedly pre programmed with every possible postion the human body can make. So essentially, with you stood in front of it, it will never get lost as to what pose you are pulling.

This maybe a refernce to this. Kinect registering which of these in it's programme you are doing.

selnor said:
Smidlee said:

In another words you have no idea.

I have my ideas, yes. But he is alot more knowledgeable than any of us.

Just because someone is smart does mean they can't stretch  the truth or plain out lie. Don't forget it the so called smart people that cause the housing  market to crash.

Mr Puggsly said:
unknown_soul89 said:

Kinect hasn't exactly proven itself better then wii's party games though, and casuals don't like to spend alot or own multiple consoles, so the fact that wii already owns the market makes it doubtful that people are going to go out and get kinect unless they really buy into MSes BS marketing

Better?!?!?! How could they possibly be worse? Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort are the biggest piece of craps I ever played. I sold them and bought some real games.

I don't know why you consider MS's marketing BS. Oh right, you're bias and think everything they do is crap. No point in debating that with you.

No I consider MSes marketing campaign BS because only 2 of their Kinect games work right so far and those have issues, and thats on a stage not to mention all they do is BS in their marketing, and the fact half of it is outright lies (kinect being new tech and all that bull even though the PS eye and a wii game that comes with a webcam beat them too it)

selnor said:
Smidlee said:

"What Natal does, is it evaluates effectively trillions of body configurations every frame. We've made it do that 30 times a second."

X360 does not even have  a trillion bits.  Trillion is a really huge number. I've heard that  a trillion dollars in 100 dollar bills would stack in a pile that's 67 miles high.

Personally Ive seen the statement before. Kinect is supposedly pre programmed with every possible postion the human body can make. So essentially, with you stood in front of it, it will never get lost as to what pose you are pulling.

This maybe a refernce to this. Kinect registering which of these in it's programme you are doing.

If each preprogramed  position takes only one byte that would require 1TB of ram.

Around the Network
Smidlee said:
selnor said:
Smidlee said:

Just because someone is smart does mean they can't stretch  the truth or plain out lie. Don't forget it the so called smart people that cause the house marketing to crash.

But you have to remember he is respected by all in this field. So if they read something where he was flat out lying, he would lose that pedigree. 

Either way, the ball is more in his court than ours.

Smidlee said:

It means that Natal select 1 body position (the one your in) out of trillions of different possible body configuration 30 time per second. Simply mean that it check your body configuration/position at 30 FPS.

In other words, while theres trillions of possible body position each frame, Natal will know yours. Its just that, but it was worded to look more awesome.

If not you were right in the sense that no super computer can evaluate trillions of body configuration 30 times per second. Tough, it can evaluate one out of those trillions possibilities.

Anyway, you are both right since it wasnt worded correctly. He really did speak like it was doing trillions of calculation 30 time per second and that doesnt make any sense. Even more so that its not necessary as theres only 1 body configuration each time.

Smidlee said:
selnor said:
Smidlee said:

Just because someone is smart does mean they can't stretch  the truth or plain out lie. Don't forget it the so called smart people that cause the housing  market to crash.

If you consider bankers, loan officers, and in some cases real estate agents "smart people" I truly feel sorry for you mate.  Most of the ones that caused it did so with the knowledge one day it would come back to hurt them, and they continued on.  You can only allow so many bad loans to go through before you end up losing your ass.  Even if you sell those loans out to 3rd parties.

"If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow."

Quote by- The Imortal John Wayne, the original BADASS!

unknown_soul89 said:
Mr Puggsly said:
unknown_soul89 said:

No I consider MSes marketing campaign BS because only 2 of their Kinect games work right so far and those have issues, and thats on a stage not to mention all they do is BS in their marketing, and the fact half of it is outright lies (kinect being new tech and all that bull even though the PS eye and a wii game that comes with a webcam beat them too it)

I've seen plenty of videos where the games work. And I've seen a couple videos where they had trouble on stage. With that said, it clearly has issues in certain enviornments. As did the Eyetoy.

The Kinect is new technology. It has capabilites that can't be duplicated on the Eyetoy. The Eyetoy is just a webcam.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)