By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - CNN: Kinect is impressive

The only way that article makes sense is if the guy is a total moron or if MS paid off someone 

Around the Network
A Bad Clown said:
Fumanchu said:
A Bad Clown said:
FF_Fanatic said:

lol three guesses as who owns CNN, apart from that yeah sure kinect is perfect, now excuse me while i bank in my check i just got

Time Warner?

Haha yeah I looked that up too...not sure what his point was. 

Unless...did Microsoft pay you to say that?! 0_o

Lol only if I was Seece, I had to look it up too. I knew it was some broadcasting company but thought it was Viacom.

Microsoft was involved with MSNBC, a rival of CNN.  Hence the "MS" in MSNBC.  That involvement lessened drastically since the channel's launch, I believe.

Can't we all just get along and play our games in peace?

WilliamWatts said:

CNN = mainstream.

IGN = core/hardcore gamer nerdlings.

The majority of the CNN audience is 40plus years old(iirc).  Which is not the type of audience who'll care about Kinect, or are likely to go out and buy it.

Nomad Blue said:
WilliamWatts said:

CNN = mainstream.

The majority of the CNN audience is 40plus years old(iirc).  Which is not the type of audience who'll care about Kinect, or are likely to go out and buy it.

But core gaming nerds at IGN aren't likely to buy it either.

Also, lets remember CNN is the 18th most popular website in the US. While IGN is 186 I believe.

I would guess CNN's reach to casual gamers and people with disposable income is much larger.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Nomad Blue said:
WilliamWatts said:

CNN = mainstream.

40 year olds get fat and get kicked out of clubs. Hence Dance Central and that fitness game would be perfect for them.

Around the Network
Nomad Blue said:
WilliamWatts said:

CNN = mainstream.

Who do you thnk is buying the Wii if it is not the 40 year old  family man/woman with young kids? or did you think the kids all did paper rounds and saved up? Maybe that happened when I were a lad, but not any more because the kids will be attacked by sex offenders.

This is just the sort of demographic that will be purchasing Kinect for little Johnny and guess what it is also a must have gadget .

W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.
Mr Puggsly said:
Nomad Blue said:
WilliamWatts said:

CNN = mainstream.

Also, lets remember CNN is the 18th most popular website in the US. While IGN is 186 I believe.

I would guess CNN's reach to casual gamers and people with disposable income is much larger.

The 40 year old Will Wimpys will tell their Sally Soccermom wives to buy it for their children for christmas. The middle aged Bob Businessmen will buy it for their family to keep them occupied while they are on numerous "Business Trips". It's perfect marketing!

19:44:34 Skeezer METAL GEAR ONLINE
19:44:36 Skeezer FAILURE
19:44:51 ABadClown You're right!
19:44:55 ABadClown Hur hur hur
19:45:01 Skeezer i meant
19:45:04 Skeezer YOU ARE A FAILKURE
19:45:08 Skeezer FAILURE*

I think "effectively" is the key term in that quote.  Probably doing some tree traversals to get to the appropriate body position.

A Bad Clown said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Nomad Blue said:
WilliamWatts said:

CNN = mainstream.

The 40 year old Will Wimpys will tell their Sally Soccermom wives to buy it for their children for christmas. The middle aged Bob Businessmen will buy it for their family to keep them occupied while they are on numerous "Business Trips". It's perfect marketing!

Sell to the one that doesn't know any better and disappoint everyone, yes perfect marketing 

It actually sounds really positive, and if they liked it I'm pretty sure that the demographic that Microsoft are after will also dig it.

They'll looking to get the wider population into gaming, they're probably not aiming it at the core gamers that will pick at each problem or mistake in the system. You can tell they CNN were impressed with the system and so will people who don't sit for hours playing Halo or Killzone 2 online scream NOOB through a mic.

What doesn't seem so positive is the price tag:

"But while Kinect looks extremely promising, I'm still concerned about the price. When it launches in November, it will be available in two SKUs: an all-in-one package with the new, slimmer Xbox 360 and Kinect sensor bar for $299, and the Kinect bar on its own, with Kinect Adventures packed in, for $150. While the former isn't a shabby deal, the latter's $150 asking price for what's essentially a hardware add-on to a pre-existing game console seems incredibly steep. For that much money, customers can buy an entire game system: a new Xbox 360 Arcade Spring Bundle, which comes with two games, or for $129, a used Wii from Gamestop. Strange. For a product that's being marketed as a device that's supposed to reduce barriers of entry, the $150 tag seems downright antithetical to that mission.

Because of that, I don't expect Kinect will be a blockbuster out of the gate. But those with the extra cash shouldn't let the price stop them from trying out the next generation of gaming. Because that's exactly what Microsoft has achieved with Kinect. The question remains whether Xbox 360 owners will bite."

It seems they feel that it might be too expensive for the general public who would have to buy a the whole system, but they do say thatexisting Xbox owners would be interested too.

Question is: will it successfully sell to the general public like the Wii did, and will it sell to existing owners?

Atari 2600, Sega Mega Drive, Game Boy, Game Boy Advanced, N64, Playstation, Xbox, PSP Phat, PSP 3000, and PS3 60gb (upgraded to 320gb), NDS

Linux Ubuntu user

Favourite game: Killzone 3