By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - CNN: Kinect is impressive

NJ5 said:
youarebadatgames said:
NJ5 said:

I don't need to ask for clarification, I know misleading market-speak when I see it.

A fast CPU can calculate some billions of simple operations per second. A very fast GPU can calculate a little bit more than a trillion even simpler operations per second.

To evaluate thirty trillion complicated operations (a body shape) per second requires nothing less than a supercomputer.

You sound ignorant.  He's probably referring to his algorithms that statistically cull a large number of possibilities to come up with the skeletal map.  The sensor doesn't do anything but feed it 3D and 2D data, the processing is done on the xbox.

I'd tell you to go to read his papers, but that'd probably be too much effort for you since you think you know more than he does about his work.  I'll take his word over what you think you know.

Yes that's exactly what I think he means... which you might have noticed if you read my earlier post in the thread.

Culling out trillions of impossibilities is very different from evaluating something trillions of times per second. The latter makes it look like you have very fast hardware, even if what you're doing amounts to simply picking one correct answer out of trillions possible (i.e. the calculator example I gave).

And please cut the crap like "you sound ignorant" without pointing out a mistake in what I'm saying.

No, evaluating is exactly the right word.  Lots of graphics algos evaluate large space problems, doesn't mean it's computationally expensive.  You read it that way because you were looking for something to pick about.

And I say ignorant because it took me about 5 min to look up papers of his related to his research that certainly implies that what he says is feasible, while you dismiss it out of hand and don't give a shit that his PhD in computer vision means he's done more for the field than some random guy on a video game board who thinks kinect shouldn't exist because it takes a supercomputer to do what it does.

Around the Network

Wow that article was biased, it doesn't mention anything about the lag in other games or the fact that the two games he mentioned (dance central and the yoga one) are the only ones that the controls work properly and are intuitive or the fact that the voice commands don't always work and you need a ton of space, kinect is hopeless as far as real games go, it will only be decent for dancing and workout games because thats all it can track properly and there are even reported issues with that

youarebadatgames said:
NJ5 said:
youarebadatgames said:
NJ5 said:

I don't need to ask for clarification, I know misleading market-speak when I see it.

A fast CPU can calculate some billions of simple operations per second. A very fast GPU can calculate a little bit more than a trillion even simpler operations per second.

To evaluate thirty trillion complicated operations (a body shape) per second requires nothing less than a supercomputer.

You sound ignorant.  He's probably referring to his algorithms that statistically cull a large number of possibilities to come up with the skeletal map.  The sensor doesn't do anything but feed it 3D and 2D data, the processing is done on the xbox.

I'd tell you to go to read his papers, but that'd probably be too much effort for you since you think you know more than he does about his work.  I'll take his word over what you think you know.

Yes that's exactly what I think he means... which you might have noticed if you read my earlier post in the thread.

Culling out trillions of impossibilities is very different from evaluating something trillions of times per second. The latter makes it look like you have very fast hardware, even if what you're doing amounts to simply picking one correct answer out of trillions possible (i.e. the calculator example I gave).

And please cut the crap like "you sound ignorant" without pointing out a mistake in what I'm saying.

No, evaluating is exactly the right word.  Lots of graphics algos evaluate large space problems, doesn't mean it's computationally expensive.  You read it that way because you were looking for something to pick about.

And I say ignorant because it took me about 5 min to look up papers of his related to his research that certainly implies that what he says is feasible, while you dismiss it out of hand and don't give a shit that his PhD in computer vision means he's done more for the field than some random guy on a video game board who thinks kinect shouldn't exist because it takes a supercomputer to do what it does.

I will start taking your posts seriously when you don't base your replies on assuming things I didn't say. I never said Kinect needs a supercomputer to do what it does. I just commented on a specific quote.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Icyedge said:
selnor said:

The casuals are where Kinect is aimed at. 

M$ couldnt care less about what some Sony or Nintendo fans post on some forum where maybe only 4,000 people will read it.

This article here from CNN is exactly the sort of people M$ know must love Kinect.

They will suceed to many angry opposing fans across the net not able to understand why Kinect sells so well.

You live in another world completely... Most person dont come here to give bad press to Microsoft but because they like video game and want to talk about it.

Look at the Hot Topics in the Microsoft forum and and you tell me...

19:44:34 Skeezer METAL GEAR ONLINE
19:44:36 Skeezer FAILURE
19:44:51 ABadClown You're right!
19:44:55 ABadClown Hur hur hur
19:45:01 Skeezer i meant
19:45:04 Skeezer YOU ARE A FAILKURE
19:45:08 Skeezer FAILURE*
A Bad Clown said:
Icyedge said:
selnor said:

The casuals are where Kinect is aimed at. 

M$ couldnt care less about what some Sony or Nintendo fans post on some forum where maybe only 4,000 people will read it.

This article here from CNN is exactly the sort of people M$ know must love Kinect.

They will suceed to many angry opposing fans across the net not able to understand why Kinect sells so well.

You live in another world completely... Most person dont come here to give bad press to Microsoft but because they like video game and want to talk about it.

Look at the Hot Topics in the Microsoft forum and and you tell me...

Talking about something negatively doesnt mean your biase , want to give bad press or want the product to fail. Sure theres exception but most people here are here to talk about video game, whether its good or not, they want to talk about everything related to video games. Most users opinions is not blinded by which system or console. But some, Selnor as example in this case,  relate everything to console war. In his world If you talk against something he like, then your a blind fanboy. If you praise something he like, then your being un-biase.

Even more than that, according to him, Microsoft ''will suceed to many angry opposing fans across the net not able to understand why Kinect sells so well.'' Sadly, he's part of the minority of users hes pointing finger to.

Around the Network
Nomad Blue said:
WilliamWatts said:

CNN > IGN. At least when talking about a relevant audience for Kinect. Its better to have CNN praise the interface and IGN pan it than for CNN to pan it and IGN to praise it. It should be pretty obvious that Kinect is targetting the mainstream by now, especially given the total lack of a Core gamer bundle with a 250GB Xbox 360 attached.

What are the audience demographics for CNN and IGN?

CNN = mainstream.

IGN = core/hardcore gamer nerdlings.

WilliamWatts said:
Nomad Blue said:
WilliamWatts said:

CNN > IGN. At least when talking about a relevant audience for Kinect. Its better to have CNN praise the interface and IGN pan it than for CNN to pan it and IGN to praise it. It should be pretty obvious that Kinect is targetting the mainstream by now, especially given the total lack of a Core gamer bundle with a 250GB Xbox 360 attached.

What are the audience demographics for CNN and IGN?

CNN = mainstream.

IGN = core/hardcore gamer nerdlings.

lol

19:44:34 Skeezer METAL GEAR ONLINE
19:44:36 Skeezer FAILURE
19:44:51 ABadClown You're right!
19:44:55 ABadClown Hur hur hur
19:45:01 Skeezer i meant
19:45:04 Skeezer YOU ARE A FAILKURE
19:45:08 Skeezer FAILURE*

WTF is that? Is that human?

WilliamWatts said: