By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - CNN: Kinect is impressive

Mr Puggsly said:

CNN.com has a much larger audience than IGN.com. I would naturally assume CNN reaches more casual gamers than IGN as well. So I agree, CNN's praise is much more significant than IGN.

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/cnn.com#

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/ign.com

I also think most media outlets that reach the casual market will praise the Kinect. IGN mostly just reaches the core market so it doesn't quite matter what they say.

It doesn't matter if they reach a larger audience, it's the type/make-up of audience that matters; and to be honest, I can't see too many 40 year old businessmen giving two shits about Kinect.

Around the Network
Nomad Blue said:
Mr Puggsly said:

CNN.com has a much larger audience than IGN.com. I would naturally assume CNN reaches more casual gamers than IGN as well. So I agree, CNN's praise is much more significant than IGN.

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/cnn.com#

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/ign.com

I also think most media outlets that reach the casual market will praise the Kinect. IGN mostly just reaches the core market so it doesn't quite matter what they say.

It doesn't matter if they reach a larger audience, it's the type/make-up of audience that matters; and to be honest, I can't see too many 40 year old businessmen giving two shits about Kinect.

Like I said, it reaches a casual market (the market MS is aiming for) and its not just 40 year old businessmen reading the website. They have a large demo of people 18-24. Also, who do you think buys this shit? People that don't give two shits about games trying to make thier kids happy.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

trunkswd said:
chazy13 said:

I'm really not sure what to think of kinect right now

Major critics like ign seem to hate kinect but smaller sites and the mainstream press seem to love it

its total hit or miss

The mainstream press praising it is what Microsoft wants. Kinect is aimed at people who don't own a 360 and aren't gamers.

But what will these people choose at the end of the year...?

A 299 $ X360S Kinect with Kinect games at $50 or a Wii (probably price-cuted at 149 $) with $40 games ?

Sweep said:
trunkswd said:
chazy13 said:

Major critics like ign seem to hate kinect but smaller sites and the mainstream press seem to love it

its total hit or miss

The mainstream press praising it is what Microsoft wants. Kinect is aimed at people who don't own a 360 and aren't gamers.

A 299 $ X360S Kinect with Kinect games at $50 or a Wii (probably price-cuted at 149 $) with $40 games ?

Depends what's more appealing to the consumer. Wiimote controllers... or a cutting edge device that uses no controls and tracks your whole body.

The Wii's success has a lot to do with the innovative controls. The Kinect has that same advantage.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
Sweep said:
trunkswd said:
chazy13 said:

its total hit or miss

Depends what's more appealing to the consumer. Wiimote controllers... or a cutting edge device that uses no controls and tracks your whole body.

The Wii's success has a lot to do with the innovative controls. The Kinect has that same advantage.

Certainly but you can't forget the price scheme...I'm pretty sure that a casual gamer is someone who will look at the whole thing and I'm not sure at all that the "innovation" aspect will reign supreme above the price one...

Around the Network

Unfortunately the price is also pretty impressive, and not in a good way...

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Sweep said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Sweep said:
trunkswd said:
chazy13 said:

its total hit or miss

Certainly but you can't forget the price scheme...I'm pretty sure that a casual gamer is someone who will look at the whole thing and I'm not sure at all that the "innovation" aspect will reign supreme above the price one...

Well $300 for a HD console, cutting edge perhiperal that supports multiplayer, and a game ain't bad.

People aren't always looking for the cheapest thing on the market. I mean the PS3 a lone is $300 and it sells pretty well.

Recently Completed

Fumanchu said:
Euphoria14 said:
Fumanchu said:
Euphoria14 said:

I was just reading this article and this stood out and I seriously wonder if this is true or if it is a flat out lie.

"Kinect sensor bar scans and monitors 1 million points on the body"

Can anyone shed any light on this because does your boby have 1 million points to scan a nd monitor?

He didn't say 'track'.  It tracks 20 skeletal joints only, but it was trained to recognise the different body parts by scanning millions of pictures of different poses.

Thanks, because I remember the MS specs sheet that said it tracks 20 joints per player or 48 total, something along those lines.

Yeah it's very misleading.  Though otherwise less impressive for his 'puff piece'.    

Andrew Fitzgibbon, Principal Researcher for Microsoft Research, discussed the specifics. "What Natal does, is it evaluates effectively trillions of body configurations every frame. We've made it do that 30 times a second."

W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.
welshbloke said:

Andrew Fitzgibbon, Principal Researcher for Microsoft Research, discussed the specifics. "What Natal does, is it evaluates effectively trillions of body configurations every frame. We've made it do that 30 times a second."

Why make trillions when you can make...billions?

It's all very superfluous isn't it? They might as well say a gajillion fafillion.

My calculator evaluates trillions of possible answers to 1 plus 1 every second. It knows that it is not 3, or 4, or 5, or ....

That's the only sense by which Kinect can evaluate anything trillions of times per frame.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957