By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Is there any evidence for the Iraq War being about oil?

I see this mentioned in pretty much every single thread involving the Iraq war 'The US only invaded Iraq for the oil'.

Is there any evidence at all that this is the case? I haven't really seen any yet and am just wondering where everybody has gotten this from.

Around the Network
Rath said:

I see this mentioned in pretty much every single thread involving the Iraq war 'The US only invaded Iraq for the oil'.

Is there any evidence at all that this is the case? I haven't really seen any yet and am just wondering where everybody has gotten this from.

It's called logic

Barozi said:
Rath said:

It's called logic

Well we didn't steal their oil so I think that's why he's asking for evidence.  But it wasn't a war for oil so much as a war for the trade of oil.  Politicians in our nation follow an idealogoy which believes capitalism solves all the worlds problems through trade and interdependence.  Also Saddam tried to kill Bushes father, and he don't play that Sh*t (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJe8VVEQ0pQ)

is there any evidence it wasn't?

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

It's not true. The main reason are of course all those weapons of mass destruction iraq had. Just kidding, everybody knows that was just made up

But seriously, oil is probably by far the the biggest reason, as it was the case with the Afghanistan war. Afghanistan has no relevant oil resources, but Afghanistan was by far the best way to install a pipeline for transporting oil and gas from the very resource-rich countries Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Azerbaijan etc.

But there are always other reasons as well. For example, one very important advantage for the US is that they now have military bases right in the heart of the middle east. In the end that has much to do with oil as well, but oil is simply not the only reason.

Around the Network

War .... War has changed.

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

The fact that Haliburton (Dick Cheney's company) was given all the Iraq oil contracts?

The fact that the US had absolutely no other reason to go declare war there?   None of the 9/11 terrorists had connections to Iraq.   The supposed WMDs were totally trumped up and no other country ('cept maybe Australia) believed it, and it was refuted by the experts on the ground in Iraq.

Question is, is there any compelling evidence it wasn't about oil?

http://blip.tv/file/678365

I've watched about 30 minutes of it (it's playing in the background while I post on VGChartz).  So far so good.  It's starts off kind of slow and predictably stupid, though.

Let me ask this of all those that are of the 'Iraq war = for oil' stance:

How many barrels of oil has America imported from Iraq since 2003?

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

mrstickball said:

Let me ask this of all those that are of the 'Iraq war = for oil' stance:

How many barrels of oil has America imported from Iraq since 2003?

According to the video I linked to, oil production doubled following the war.......I think.  My short term memory sucks.