By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Is there any evidence for the Iraq War being about oil?

d21lewis said:
mrstickball said:

Let me ask this of all those that are of the 'Iraq war = for oil' stance:

How many barrels of oil has America imported from Iraq since 2003?

According to the video I linked to, oil production doubled following the war.......I think.  My short term memory sucks.

How much went to the USA?

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network
mrstickball said:
d21lewis said:
mrstickball said:

According to the video I linked to, oil production doubled following the war.......I think.  My short term memory sucks.

*shrugs shoulders*

the US gave the contract to rebuild the Iraqui oil feilds to Halliburton (Dick Cheney's) company.

d21lewis said:
mrstickball said:
d21lewis said:
mrstickball said:

*shrugs shoulders*

Ah, but thats the crux of the problem. If the US went to war with Iraq only for oil, we should have some sort of massive interest in keeping their oil fields 100% to us, right?

Truth is, though, they are one of our smaller oil partners. We import more oil from Angola than we do Iraq. Furthermore, China is becoming their largest, most invested trading partner when it comes to oil.

With all the statistics out there....Why would we invade Iraq if they only supply 4% of our oil? For the hundreds of billions of dollars we've spent on Iraq, the amount of oil we've recieved is very trivial.

O-D-C said:

the US gave the contract to rebuild the Iraqui oil feilds to Halliburton (Dick Cheney's) company.

And who were they supposed to give it to?

Around the Network
mrstickball said:
O-D-C said:

someone who wasn't the vice president of the country invading Iraq?

O-D-C said:
mrstickball said:
O-D-C said:

So, reccomend a company in your infinite wisdom.

Reccomend an American company that could conduct reconstruction of the oil fields that had the size and scope of ability to take care of such a project. Someone that has major offices based in both the US and Mid East, with close ties to projects in the area.

Go ahead, I'm waiting.

mrstickball said:
d21lewis said:
mrstickball said:

Not easy info to find. This information is a little old, from 2006, but it shows the US getting nearly half of Iraq's exports, and Iraq's exports are 84% oil and another 8% petroleum products:

http://internationaltrade.suite101.com/article.cfm/iraqs_trade_buddies

It's worth noting that Iraq's three next-biggest customers are NATO allies, not rival powers like China or Russia.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

mrstickball said:
O-D-C said:
mrstickball said:
O-D-C said:

So, reccomend a company in your infinite wisdom.

Reccomend an American company that could conduct reconstruction of the oil fields that had the size and scope of ability to take care of such a project. Someone that has major offices based in both the US and Mid East, with close ties to projects in the area.

Go ahead, I'm waiting.

Infrastructure coroporation of America could have handeled all transportation needs and USA Oilfield could reconstruct oil fields.  It didn't have to all go to Halliburton.

While I do think that energy resources play a role in American/middle-east foreign relations, I think it was actually a fairly minor consideration in the war in Iraq.

Oil prices didn’t really start to increase rapidly until George W. Bush’s second term, and they didn’t hit their extreme peak until the end of his second term, so the incentive to start a war for oil wasn’t particularly strong when the Iraq war was starting; to put it in perspective the average price for a barrel of oil in 2003 was under $28. People often ignore that the reasons why gigantic SUVs were so popular for most of the last decade was that energy costs (when adjusted for inflation) were fairly close to the costs in the "good old days" when muscle cars were popular.

I personally believe that the reason people believe this (moronic) myth is because the reasons for going to war were diverse and not well explained. Dozens of groups within the government and external to the government were pushing their own agenda trying to encourage this war; and very few of these agendas were brought forward. For example, CNN was spawned in the first Iraq war and saw major boosts in ratings with major events like the beginning of the war in Afghanistan; while it probably will never be demonstrated, it is highly likely that the continuous coverage to argue for the war from CNN was (at least in part) driven by a desire to get ratings.