By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Is there any evidence for the Iraq War being about oil?

mrstickball said:
O-D-C said:
mrstickball said:
O-D-C said:

the US gave the contract to rebuild the Iraqui oil feilds to Halliburton (Dick Cheney's) company.

And who were they supposed to give it to?

someone who wasn't the vice president of the country invading Iraq?

So, reccomend a company in your infinite wisdom.

Reccomend an American company that could conduct reconstruction of the oil fields that had the size and scope of ability to take care of such a project. Someone that has major offices based in both the US and Mid East, with close ties to projects in the area.

Go ahead, I'm waiting.

I know you're a mod but F*** YOU

GTFO if you're going to abruptly challenge people in this way.

>edit - i just realised how fun offtopic can be.

1-There were no WMD's associated with Iraq at all.

2- The rest of the world knew this, and they protested, by the millions, to tell their governments not to invade.

3- The invasion must have been for something. If i remember correctly they reintroduced ALL oil companies that used to be in Iraq years ago (shell, etc).

4- 1 1 = you figure it out

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Around the Network
Armads said:
mrstickball said:
O-D-C said:
mrstickball said:
O-D-C said:

the US gave the contract to rebuild the Iraqui oil feilds to Halliburton (Dick Cheney's) company.

Reccomend an American company that could conduct reconstruction of the oil fields that had the size and scope of ability to take care of such a project. Someone that has major offices based in both the US and Mid East, with close ties to projects in the area.

Go ahead, I'm waiting.

Infrastructure coroporation of America could have handeled all transportation needs and USA Oilfield could reconstruct oil fields.  It didn't have to all go to Halliburton.

ICA has never had a project outside of the USA.

USA Oilfield...Could you give more information on them? I cannot find any.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

famousringo said:
mrstickball said:
d21lewis said:
mrstickball said:

Let me ask this of all those that are of the 'Iraq war = for oil' stance:

How many barrels of oil has America imported from Iraq since 2003?

According to the video I linked to, oil production doubled following the war.......I think.  My short term memory sucks.

How much went to the USA?

Not easy info to find. This information is a little old, from 2006, but it shows the US getting nearly half of Iraq's exports, and Iraq's exports are 84% oil and another 8% petroleum products:

http://internationaltrade.suite101.com/article.cfm/iraqs_trade_buddies

It's worth noting that Iraq's three next-biggest customers are NATO allies, not rival powers like China or Russia.

That has changed notably, as the US has dropped quite a bit:

http://www.theodora.com/wfbcurrent/iraq/iraq_economy.html

Notice that #2 is not a NATO country. If we were there for oil, why would the numbers be dropping against our favor? You'd think that obtaining oil from Iraq would be a long term conspiracy, and not a flash-in-the-pan of actual data that suggests that other countries are becoming more invested in Iraq than we are.

megaman79 said:
mrstickball said:
O-D-C said:
mrstickball said:
O-D-C said:

Go ahead, I'm waiting.

I haven't been a mod in a year, what are you talking about?

My point is to suggest what other companies had the actual capacity to take on these projects that people are arguing as being the conspiracy behind the war. I believe the truth is that, unfortunately, Haliburton was one of the few companies that had the capacity to meet the requirements of awarding contracts in Iraq.

I used no name calling, no attacks on anyone. I was just merely asking for someone to give some suggestions, and some have. I don't see why you have to be so attacking towards me, if I'm trying to debate the argument logically.

mrstickball said:
Armads said:
mrstickball said:
O-D-C said:
mrstickball said:
O-D-C said:

Go ahead, I'm waiting.

Infrastructure coroporation of America could have handeled all transportation needs and USA Oilfield could reconstruct oil fields.  It didn't have to all go to Halliburton.

True but would it be hard for them to take on a project like that?

USA Oilfield I don't know too much about either actually, just that they produce and construct equipment for oilfields but also only within the country.  I just think that with all the infrastructure companies out there they didn't necessarily have to go with Halliburton only, even though they may have the most experience in the area,  in fact that I imagine it would be better for the economy to strengthen the other companies to increase competition. 

Around the Network
megaman79 said:
mrstickball said:
O-D-C said:
mrstickball said:
O-D-C said:

Go ahead, I'm waiting.

>edit - i just realised how fun offtopic can be.

1-There were no WMD's associated with Iraq at all.

2- The rest of the world knew this, and they protested, by the millions, to tell their governments not to invade.

3- The invasion must have been for something. If i remember correctly they reintroduced ALL oil companies that used to be in Iraq years ago (shell, etc).

4- 1 1 = you figure it out

1. They were insinuated for nearly a decade. Regardless if Iraq had them or not, they acted very guilty, and UN resolutions were even passed about the condemnation of Iraq kicking out inspectors. Oh, and for the record, we did find WMDs. Not smoking guns, but we did find them:

http://www.globalsecuritynewswire.org/gsn/nw_20090427_8248.php

Iraq declared WMDs in 2009.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,200499,00.html

Over 500 shells were found.

2. Rest of the world didn't include about 30 other countries, did it?

3. Yes, the invasion was for something. A lot of things, actually. Maybe somewhere along the line it was thought of that oil production may help America out, but I really don't think there was a vast conspiracy to go to war over oil.

mrstickball said:

I believe the truth is that, unfortunately, Haliburton was one of the few companies that had the capacity to meet the requirements of awarding contracts in Iraq.

You attacked him aggressively. No need to be upset.

OT -Halliburton installed the shower/electrical equiptment in Army barracks in Iraq, that caused some soldiers to be electrocuted.

-Halliburton built some of the oil rig components on the Deepwater Horizon. We know about that.

-Halliburton bought a 300 million dollar oil clean up company DAYS before the oil spill.

-Halliburton are one of the chief contractors for building the great wall of America, on the Mexican border.

(i don't see why people defend corporate interests, especially ones that seemingly get in trouble like this.)

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Armads said:
mrstickball said:
Armads said:
mrstickball said:
O-D-C said:
mrstickball said:
O-D-C said:

Go ahead, I'm waiting.

True but would it be hard for them to take on a project like that?

USA Oilfield I don't know too much about either actually, just that they produce and construct equipment for oilfields but also only within the country.  I just think that with all the infrastructure companies out there they didn't necessarily have to go with Halliburton only, even though they may have the most experience in the area,  in fact that I imagine it would be better for the economy to strengthen the other companies to increase competition. 

I agree that more companies should of been consulted concerning reconstruction. However, lets not forget that Haliburton was awarded about $7 billion in contracts of the ~$60 billion appropriated by Congress for reconstruction.

In regards to Haliburton, I think the reason they were awarded such a large contract were for 2 reasons:

1. They had major offices in the MidEast. Their 2nd largest base outside of the US is based in the UAE
  2. They had military experience vis-a-vis KBR, which was a newer military contractor that had experience just a few years ago in Clinton's Kosovo war.

Now, the reality of the situation was that Haliburton performed pretty poorly, and had contracts yanked away from them. I would think that *if* there was a conspiracy to ensure Haliburton was going to profit a ton off of it, they would have taken more measures to ensure proper cover ups, or other means. However, the fact is, Haliburton's stock has been really, and I mean REALLY bad since 2008.

Here is the chart of Haliburton revenues by sector:

Here it is over the past decade. In 2006, Haliburton cut off KBR, their military contractor due to their failures in Iraq:

OP - don't believe anything you read here in offtopic.

Go and find out for yourself please.

Source

Up until the Iraq War we were receiving a steady upward trend in supply of oil from Iraq.  In 2002, we see a large drop off (during the WMD investigation period and leading up to the war)  At the end of 2003 - present we see a very steady oil supply coming to America from Iraq (with a overall slightly downward trend).  Over that entire 6 (plus) year peroid, has the rate gone up?  Not really, nor has the rate gotten anywhere NEAR the peak before the War began. 

Unless evidence comes out that Iraq was planning on cutting off the supply after the 2002 year (and there is not any I am aware of) I do not see how we went to war just for oil.  If we did, wouldnt our supply SINCE the war be greater if not equal to what it was before the war?