By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - So, the gap is less than 3M now.

Steroid said:

Shipped == sold. Shipped MEANS that retails have purchased 360s or PS3s and they have been shipped to be sold at retail outlets.

Once they get on market any sales tracking is speculative. I expect the 360 to have a little bump from clearing out their old 360 stock, but the trend has been the PS3 catching up to the 360 for years.

And so what if the PS3 outsells the 360? Nothing will change in the real world, only that some 360 fanboys wil have to eat raw nasty dirty crow.

Haven't seen you in a while.  Good to see you haven't changed.

Shipped =/= sold.  Don't dispute this or you will likely be banned as the difference has been explained many many times already.

Also, if the trend was that the PS3 has been catching up to the 360 for years, then why over the first 3 years did the gap expand in the 360's favor from 5.5 million to 8 million.  Only in the last year has the gap gone back down to around 5 million.  And once again the 360 is building up momentum to extend that gap.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
Carl2291 said:
rf40928 said:
Carl2291 said:

lol, somebody obviously isn't happy that Sony are both lowering the gap AND profiting at the same time

OT:
Great news for Sony Lets hope they keep it up!

Well i beleive they did lower the gap somewhat thanks to the slimline ps3.. but things are going to change again with the new XB360.

I only wanted him to show me a REAL financial page in which he claimed both companies were in the red.. even concerning just the console division.  It doenst matter how many PS3's sony sells if they are still losing money financially.

Without proof, anything I post you post or boobihead post is just fanboy epinion and everyone here knows that.

Proof has been posted that...

a) Sony have made a profit this Quarter.
b) The gap is lower now, than it's ever been before.

As for the "change again"... We don't know if that will happen. We have no idea what Sony will do to counter it, and we have no idea if MS have anything else planned. We don't know if Move will take off, we don't know if Kinect will. It's pointless even trying to say something WILL happen now. We just have no idea. It's a guessing game. What we CAN say though, is that right now... The gap is lower than it's ever been before.

So you dont use VGC numbers anymore?  just shipped (of which the two compnaies have different definitions)

ok.. just checking.

The gap that matters is not smaller than it has ever been and is indeed growing, it is now more than it was when the PS3 launched.

Thats what VGC tracks, is about and promotes itself upon.  That is what I support as the most meaningful measure there is.  It is also in line with Famitsu, GFk and NPD which are the other agencies that track sales to consumers homes.

Does anyone think this is incorrect?

I've always said that the gap the companies will use as a measure of "sales" is the shipped number. That's why both MS and Sony say they have "sold" so many units. You think MS or Sony will come to VGC to say if they have outsold one or the other?

I do still use VGC numbers, but when the thread is about the shipments... Then we can use the shipments.

It's not incorrect at all, but it's not what the thread is about. If the thread was about VGC numbers, then of course... The gap wouldn't be the smallest it's been as the 360 has dominated for the past few week...

Carl2291 said:
kowenicki said:
Carl2291 said:
rf40928 said:
Carl2291 said:

lol, somebody obviously isn't happy that Sony are both lowering the gap AND profiting at the same time

OT:

Well i beleive they did lower the gap somewhat thanks to the slimline ps3.. but things are going to change again with the new XB360.

I only wanted him to show me a REAL financial page in which he claimed both companies were in the red.. even concerning just the console division.  It doenst matter how many PS3's sony sells if they are still losing money financially.

Without proof, anything I post you post or boobihead post is just fanboy epinion and everyone here knows that.

As for the "change again"... We don't know if that will happen. We have no idea what Sony will do to counter it, and we have no idea if MS have anything else planned. We don't know if Move will take off, we don't know if Kinect will. It's pointless even trying to say something WILL happen now. We just have no idea. It's a guessing game. What we CAN say though, is that right now... The gap is lower than it's ever been before.

So you dont use VGC numbers anymore?  just shipped (of which the two compnaies have different definitions)

ok.. just checking.

The gap that matters is not smaller than it has ever been and is indeed growing, it is now more than it was when the PS3 launched.

Thats what VGC tracks, is about and promotes itself upon.  That is what I support as the most meaningful measure there is.  It is also in line with Famitsu, GFk and NPD which are the other agencies that track sales to consumers homes.

I've always said that the gap the companies will use as a measure of "sales" is the shipped number. That's why both MS and Sony say they have "sold" so many units. You think MS or Sony will come to VGC to say if they have outsold one or the other?

I do still use VGC numbers, but when the thread is about the shipments... Then we can use the shipments.

It's not incorrect at all, but it's not what the thread is about. If the thread was about VGC numbers, then of course... The gap wouldn't be the smallest it's been as the 360 has dominated for the past few week...

I agree, VGChartz if you think about it, in a sense is almost like a royalty to the gaming community. It provides itself as being a useful tool to try and determine actual "sales" the best you can, but still not an "Official" tool none the less.

And just like you said, MS/Sony won't be reporting VGChartz numbers to determine who is beating who anytime soon.

So to put it simply, determining who is beating who in the mighty Console war, we as a community may use VGChartz, but to the big three, as well as the masses in whole, this is determined by shipped.

I love this term 'stuffing the channels' as if Sony are forcing retailers to buy huge pallets of PS3s at gunpoint or something.

Retailers will only buy what they think they can sell without having to store them for long periods of time. They want to buy and sell on as quickly as possible.

Manufacturers will only manufacture what they can move on to retailers, anything more is a waste of assets and cash. Of course they will store some, but its supply and demand, and where possible just in time.

Atari 2600, Sega Mega Drive, Game Boy, Game Boy Advanced, N64, Playstation, Xbox, PSP Phat, PSP 3000, and PS3 60gb (upgraded to 320gb), NDS

Linux Ubuntu user

Favourite game: Killzone 3

Necromunda said:
Carl2291 said:
kowenicki said:
Carl2291 said:
rf40928 said:
Carl2291 said:

OT:

ok.. just checking.

I agree, VGChartz if you think about it, in a sense is almost like a royalty to the gaming community. It provides itself as being a useful tool to try and determine actual "sales" the best you can, but still not an "Official" tool none the less.

And just like you said, MS/Sony won't be reporting VGChartz numbers to determine who is beating who anytime soon.

So to put it simply, determining who is beating who in the mighty Console war, we as a community may use VGChartz, but to the big three, as well as the masses in whole, this is determined by shipped.

Well... ioi himself has claimed that VGC aims (or already has?) to have a  ~10% margin of error Worldwide. They do a damn fine job at what they do too... But while some big companies use VGC (Square-Enix, Guiness World Records, for example), we still aren't at the level of NPD, GFK, Mediacreate AFAIK... We ARE getting there though.

Give it a few years time, and we might start to see the big 3 use VGC sales for the games/consoles. As of right now though, I know for sure that they would rather use there own Shipment numbers... And the do.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:

true...

but lets be clear.... shipped number DOES NOT equal install base.

a shipped console can be returned.. or sit on a shelf for months.

True, but (I assumed) that the thread was based on Shipments.

Thus, i used the shipment data for the "Gap".

And i think i just broke something.

Carl2291 said:
Necromunda said:
Carl2291 said:
kowenicki said:
Carl2291 said:
rf40928 said:
Carl2291 said:

OT:

ok.. just checking.

Well... ioi himself has claimed that VGC aims (or already has?) to have a  ~10% margin of error Worldwide. They do a damn fine job at what they do too... But while some big companies use VGC (Square-Enix, Guiness World Records, for example), we still aren't at the level of NPD, GFK, Mediacreate AFAIK... We ARE getting there though.

Give it a few years time, and we might start to see the big 3 use VGC sales for the games/consoles. As of right now though, I know for sure that they would rather use there own Shipment numbers... And the do.

I agree, they would go by their own shipment numbers....

Hey!!

~10% is around 2 million hardware....

mystery solved!!!

nightsurge said:

Simple answer.  Sony over shipped.  They stuffed the channels with PS3s.  I have seen full cabinets at Best Buys, Walmarts, GameStops, Targets, etc for more than 2 months now in the US.  Amazon and other online retailers haven't been sold out of PS3s in months either.

MELLLLLTTTT DOWWWWN!!!!!!!!!

"SONY IS STUFFING IT, THEY LIE!!! THAT'S THE ONLY VALID EXCUSE!"

We perfectly know that shipped =/= sold to end users, I'm surprised about all the fuss by some people...

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

^^

And a slight overshipment added to the announce of a lot of 160GB SKUs and bundles in Japan (an increase too little from 120GB to coexist on the shelves regularly) could mean that 120GBs are going to be phased out and put on clearance sale. This could explain everything.

Edit: I came a bit late, 120GB are already on "free pricing" and phased out... http://www.wouldyoukindly.com/sony-announces-new-ps3-slim-skus-160gb-white-version (LOL, it was in the same news where I read about the new SKUs, but I totally forgot it ). But this, again, could explain everything if all this was already decided before the end of June and Sony decided also to empty its warehouses from old SKUs early.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!