By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - So, the gap is less than 3M now.

:P people are still having meltdowns in here? and here I woke up and was thinking hey too bad it all must have stopped now....

guess not

But it's ok...please continue to try and discredit the official numbers ...only the usual crowd here is doubting it so nothing big...actually it's more and more fun this way :D Disbelief and paranoia are facsinating things

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Around the Network

I dont think that the PS3 supply issue was your typical issue.  I believe that Sony deliberatly reduced production, because they were manufacturing the PS3s at a loss.  It was driven by not being able to keep up with sales it was driven by wanting to minimize losses.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

silicon said:
Reasonable said:

Outside of official accounting statements Sony can fudge numbers if it wants so long as it doesn't go too far - however it must be accurate regarding corporate legislation on sales, profits, etc. publicily posted.  That's a given.  Not sure why some posters think global publicaly traded companies can just ignore such things.  Actually, just to be clear, they can, but moslty this ends up like Enron, etc. with the guily party being found out.  I therefore doubt Sony is lying about it's shipments in any way.

Sony (and MS and Nintendo) should know exactly what they've shipped or received orders for.  Again, there is little room for mistake here.  If Walmart has 50K units on order then that will be know.  Equally if a small store has ordered 5 that will be known.

Note when they report these some rounding will always be in force and the figures won't be exact to that minute but probably a prior period by a day or so.  On the day something is annouced the true orders, to the single unit, might be for 2,103,455 units (random example).  That would be rounded for any public statements.  Probably up rather than down!

To your question will it matter to the market if Sony say they've shipped more LTD than MS despite what ths site says?  Of course it will.  That's a given and nothing against this site.  Investors, market researchers, etc. look to official company statements and performance a lot more than VGChartz or even NPD (which it itself estimates used to get an idea of trends/sales in addition to the hard, public figures released less often).

The 360s should delay the day of meltdown though, and might even prevent it (although I'm not sold on that yet).

I thought its standard to take the most conservative number which is to round down.

I agree with your comments though.

Well... I wasn't sure many would actually accept that so I went with the more humerous angle.  But you're right, unless it's a very loose bit of marketing spin most companies, if playing safe, will round down so they can never be accused of false data.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

It's reasonable to have 2 million PS3 consoles on the shelves.  How many stores around the world sell PS3?

Simple answer.  Sony over shipped.  They stuffed the channels with PS3s.  I have seen full cabinets at Best Buys, Walmarts, GameStops, Targets, etc for more than 2 months now in the US.  Amazon and other online retailers haven't been sold out of PS3s in months either.

Around the Network
nightsurge said:

Simple answer.  Sony over shipped.  They stuffed the channels with PS3s.  I have seen full cabinets at Best Buys, Walmarts, GameStops, Targets, etc for more than 2 months now in the US.  Amazon and other online retailers haven't been sold out of PS3s in months either.

It's funny because just recently, SONY said that the shortages had officially ended.

Jay520 said:
nightsurge said:

It's funny because just recently, SONY said that the shortages had officially ended.

I also forgot to mention that obviously 360 shipments would be much lower leading into the new 360 model.  Shipment numbers will make a lot more sense and be more in line with VGC gap numbers once the next quarter shipment figures are in.  That is unless one or the other overships in anticipation of the holidays.

BigBoobieHead said:
dahuman said:

Just like when the PS3 Slim launched and started facing shortages, 360 is having the same effect atm, duh?

If PS3 and Xbox 360 are close this fall - which they are expected to be, and MS can't meet demand as well as Sony (even though there many be more 360 demand), then this 'real' gap may stay roughly the same.

I feel MS needs to sell more this fall to beat the PS3.

They do need to sell more.

rf40928 said:

PS3 sales surged thanks to slim PS3 and lower prices.

Now Xbox 360 is doing the same.  Anyone checked out their ridiculous numbers the last few weeks?  I'm betting they reverse Sony's surge and extend their lead back to 6 million in the next year.  The new Halo and other big titles will be helping XB360 ALOT this holiday season !

Okay so the 360 is getting Halo Reach.  Now Sony is getting Gran Turismo 5(Sony's Halo) LittleBigPlanet 2 and Socom 4.  Now wanna talk about next year?  Sony has Killzone 3 and Infamous 2.  360 has Gears.  I don't know when Fable 3 releases so you can add it to the year it releases.  I believe all these games are going to sell well.  Especially Gran Turismo 5 and Halo Reach.  Little Big Planet 2 should sell less since it's not too far away from GT5 and that is going to hurt it's sales.  But they will increase during the holidays.  Can you explain to me this other "big titles" for the 360?  All I've heard about is Halo.

P.S:  Let's keep Kinect and Move out of this.

Shipped == sold. Shipped MEANS that retails have purchased 360s or PS3s and they have been shipped to be sold at retail outlets.

Once they get on market any sales tracking is speculative. I expect the 360 to have a little bump from clearing out their old 360 stock, but the trend has been the PS3 catching up to the 360 for years.

And so what if the PS3 outsells the 360? Nothing will change in the real world, only that some 360 fanboys wil have to eat raw nasty dirty crow.