By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo's Sales and Earnings Fall

Aiddon said:

even a loss for a quarter is predictable considering that Wii sales are finally slowing down,

Wii sales were up YOY.   It's DS that's bottoming out.

Around the Network

Nothing surprising. Both consoles and handhelds gens are slowing down. Nintendo isn't immune to that.  

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

actually the yearly Wii shipments have been fairly even with minimal growth or loss. The DS slowing down is NOT a surprise either as everyone who wants one has TWO.

Even considering a little sales decline, currency fluctuations, and the cost of bringing a new console to market, it's a little surprising to see Nintendo post a loss.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

So someone (knowledgable) tell me if I'm right.   Nintendo made money, but because 85% was in foreign currency when that's converted to yen it shows as a loss due to current exchange rates.    However the bulk of that money would stay with NOE/NOA and not actually need to be converted at all, meaning in actual fact, Nintendo made a truckloads of money instead of boatloads?

Around the Network
jarrod said:
Aiddon said:

even a loss for a quarter is predictable considering that Wii sales are finally slowing down,

Wii sales were up YOY.   It's DS that's bottoming out.

Yeah, NSMBWii (NOT the wal-mart gift card) really helped them get the Wii momentum back. This is likely why they are going with another DKC, considering it helped the SNES get momentum.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Gamerace said:

So someone (knowledgable) tell me if I'm right.   Nintendo made money, but because 85% was in foreign currency when that's converted to yen it shows as a loss due to current exchange rates.    However the bulk of that money would stay with NOE/NOA and not actually need to be converted at all, meaning in actual fact, Nintendo made a truckloads of money instead of boatloads?

Pretty much yes but they still need to release the numbers in Yen for their reports.

Galaki said:
Gamerace said:

Pretty much yes but they still need to release the numbers in Yen for their reports.

So NOA and NOE are basically Nintendo's offshore accounts right now.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

So is it DOMED again? Wow, I was just starting to worry!   

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

So if you hate Nintendo now is your chance of destroying it!

*buys 100's of Wii's*

With the exchange rates they will lose money!

Bwoehhahaha!

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!)