By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo's Sales and Earnings Fall

Nintendo lost money this quarter, they didn't make "less" money.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Around the Network

Nintendo reported a loss for the quarter but is predicting profit for the year.  They blame exchange rates for the shortfall, but the problem is that the Yen is still strong against the dollar and euro and with nothing coming out this quarter (July to September)hardware or software wise and with sales declines for the DS to continue as people wait for 3DS, I predict they will report another loss.

Sony and Microsoft reported losses for their respective game divisions also, but their game divisions include sutff like Microsoft's failed Kin phone, Sony Vaio laptops, Sony e-readers etc so it can be skewed, while nintendo is pure gaming, so their barometer is more of a reflection of whats going on. 

I don't believe Nintendo has reported back to back losing quarters, I think this will be a first.

trestres said:

Thank you, the way people read earning statements here is disgustings.  It'll be helpful if some people take some kind of business class so they can make their arguments revelant.

Train wreck said:

I don't believe Nintendo has reported back to back losing quarters, I think this will be a first.

It appears to be the second, as has been stated in another thread on that matter.

Nintendo posted an operating profit which is what the majority of the financial sites focused on.

Around the Network

It's amazing to me that a company that sells nine year old hardware for $200 (and the DSi for $170) can make a loss.

Qays said:

It's amazing to me that a company that sells nine year old hardware for $200 (and the DSi for $170) can make a loss.

They made an operating profit.

And they made a net loss.

Train wreck said:
trestres said:

Thank you, the way people read earning statements here is disgustings.  It'll be helpful if some people take some kind of business class so they can make their arguments revelant.

They cheated though. Sneaky accountants charting the exchange rate loses to their expenses, LOL. Is that even making any sense?

even a loss for a quarter is predictable considering that Wii sales are finally slowing down, Mario Bros Wii is no longer in the worldwide top ten, and they've spent a substantial amount of capital researching and manufacturing the 3DS which has some VERY exotic features. I can see why they're predicting a profit this year especially when the fall rolls around with big titles like Other M, Donkey Kong, and Kirby.