By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo, Sony, Capcom Quarterly Data (Apr-Jun 2010) out Tonight

makingmusic476 said:

PS3 LTD - 38.1
360 LTD - 40.7

3.60 difference lolz

I believe a decent chunk of the shipped/sold discrep for ps3 may be coming from newer markets in the Americas and Others, for which we have little to no tracking.  Sony has officially launched PlayStation products in countries that MS/Nintendo have yet to support, and likely will not support anytime in the foreseeable future, like the Philippines, Brazil, and numerous other Latin American, Southeast Asian, and even some Eastern European countries.  Each country probably doesn't account for more than a few tens of thousands each, but that adds up.

Sony's presence in such markets probably account for the odd ps2 hardware/software shipment numbers as well, given that most ps2s are being shipped to such regions now and thus are probably heavily afflicted by piracy.

The philippines and brazil have officially had xbox 360 for some years now as has latin america???? not sure about the others though.

Around the Network
nanarchy said:
makingmusic476 said:

PS3 LTD - 38.1
360 LTD - 40.7

3.60 difference lolz

I believe a decent chunk of the shipped/sold discrep for ps3 may be coming from newer markets in the Americas and Others, for which we have little to no tracking.  Sony has officially launched PlayStation products in countries that MS/Nintendo have yet to support, and likely will not support anytime in the foreseeable future, like the Philippines, Brazil, and numerous other Latin American, Southeast Asian, and even some Eastern European countries.  Each country probably doesn't account for more than a few tens of thousands each, but that adds up.

Sony's presence in such markets probably account for the odd ps2 hardware/software shipment numbers as well, given that most ps2s are being shipped to such regions now and thus are probably heavily afflicted by piracy.

The philippines and brazil have officially had xbox 360 for some years now as has latin america???? not sure about the others though.

Looking into this more, it actually looks like the 360 was indeed release in the Philippines.  Not sure why I was under the impression otherwise. 

Thanks for pointing that out.

X360 is at 41.7m not 40.7m it is a 3.6m difference.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

PS3 will be ahead of x360 this year, atleast in shipped numbers, that for sure.
I mean GT5 release, many people wait to get PS3 just for this game alone.

Anyway, from my old post:

NeoMatrix said:

The end of September ship totals were 33.5m for x360. VGC sales for Oct 03 - 32,675,414.
The end of December ship totals for PS3 were 33.5m. VGC sales for Jan 02 - 31,078,061.
And there were some shortages for 120gb PS3 model in NA during January.

The end of March ship totals were 40.2m for x360. VGC sales for March 27 - 39,080,401.
The end of March ship totals for PS3 were 35.7m. VGC sales for March 27 - 33,770,771.
And there still were some PS3 shortages in NA.

2m difference in PS3 sales between shipped numbers and VGC numbers for almost a year. There is something wrong with VGC PS3 data.

Monster Hunter Tri is definitely a succes in the West.

Around the Network
Seece said:
TheSource said:

Nintendo had a big loss this quarter due to what looks like some kind of massive expensive in foreign markets...3DS development? Can't imagine what else is 70 billion Yen when they had lower foreign losses before...

What's 70 billion Yen in US?

$ 803,754,167.66

Buying in 2015: Captain toad: treasure tracker,

mario maker

new 3ds

yoshi woolly world

zelda U

majora's mask 3d

Wow the crazy currency fluctuations are hitting hard, I wonder if the 3DS R&D is in there as well, seems like that bad boy would take a good chunk of change to develop plus they're already starting to produce them and getting ready for a world wide launch, so production without anyone buying the product yet.  Gotta wonder how this year will go down overall, I'm thinking there might be some price changes coming...

Sony's losses are due to all the electronics being tied in together, still... the company is hurting and the restructuring hasn't helped much rather just slowed the bleeding. 

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Double Post

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Viper1 said:

This is only the second time in company history to have a quarterly loss and both were for the exact same reason. 

When did it happen last time? And what are the reasons you're talking about? Just curious. Thanks.

Sony posting profits, Nintendo posting losses, DS falling like a rock, the X360 first place for some weeks now, the world is upside down.

By the way, Nintendo shipped 1.1m NSMBWii copies this quarter and VGC have it at 1.82m for the same period. Quite overtracked, it seems.