By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Give Us Back The Old Nintendo (Nowgamer article)

Well, I guess he's just bummed cuz he can't be like the rest of us and enjoy Wii. And if you think about it, Nintendo has revolutionized from console to console changing something up to the game. Yeah maybe its not always the controller but they do.

NINTENDO

nintendo forever . . .

Around the Network

I wonder how people would respond if I wrote an article about how Sony and MS should be more like Nintendo. They are really losing me with all the cinematic stuff they are making this gen so I demand they return to their former self!

forest-spirit said:

I wonder how people would respond if I wrote an article about how Sony and MS should be more like Nintendo. They are really losing me with all the cinematic stuff they are making this gen so I demand they return to their former self!

that sentiment is mentioned quite often, you learn to ignore it just like you should ignore these articles if you like the kind of game Nintendo is putting out right now.  I don't want to listen to some whiny git tell me how every game with a story sucks and they should all just be fun with grey boxes (while this seems like it may be a reference to a recent comment by Twesterm it isn't, his grey boxes comment pertained to something else) and you don't want people to tell you that Nintendo should really learn that story telling can consist of more than "oh fuck Bowser's up to no good again".  Both types of gaming are legitimate even if you or I don't like both.

Torillian said:
forest-spirit said:

that sentiment is mentioned quite often, you learn to ignore it just like you should ignore these articles if you like the kind of game Nintendo is putting out right now.  I don't want to listen to some whiny git tell me how every game with a story sucks and they should all just be fun with grey boxes (while this seems like it may be a reference to a recent comment by Twesterm it isn't, his grey boxes comment pertained to something else) and you don't want people to tell you that Nintendo should really learn that story telling can consist of more than "oh fuck Bowser's up to no good again".  Both types of gaming are legitimate even if you or I don't like both.

Agreed. My comment wasn't very serious (more like a failed attempt to sound sarcastic ), and I'm certainly not one of those that wants every game with a story exterminated. I'm a Xenogears fan for crying out loud!

I just fail to understand why every company must make things the same way or some people will complain. I'm fine with people not liking the Wii because it doesn't have the kind of games they like. But why do they have to whine so much about it? They already have the Sony and MS making their kind of games, so why can't Nintendo make something different?

forest-spirit said:
Torillian said:
forest-spirit said:

Agreed. My comment wasn't very serious (more like a failed attempt to sound sarcastic ), and I'm certainly not one of those that wants every game with a story exterminated. I'm a Xenogears fan for crying out loud!

I just fail to understand why every company must make things the same way or some people will complain. I'm fine with people not liking the Wii because it doesn't have the kind of games they like. But why do they have to whine so much about it? They already have the Sony and MS making their kind of games, so why can't Nintendo make something different?

yeah I figured you probably weren't serious about the sentiment I just wanted to make the point. 

Around the Network

It is obvious from reading the thread that there are gamers who enjoy what they enjoy regardless of whether or not it is objectively good, think the past was great once but now newer is automatically better, and don't care about the opinions of others, no matter how well thought out they are.

The nice thing about this comment is that it offends just about everyone ... regardless of which side of the argument on which you fall.

Nevertheless, all of us must look in the mirror and face these realities.

* The Nintendo Wii has outsold the PS3 and the Xbox 360 -- even though those two consoles are generally the choice of the core gamer demographic (males 14-34). It has done so by being different and selling to other groups. If it were not so successful, would Kinect and Move exist?

* Nintendo does not need to create as many new IPs as other companies because it has a stock of older IPs. 

* Nintendo generally zigs while others zags. Dual screen. Motion control. 3D without glasses.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

If anyone wants to take their compliments or complaints about the original piece to the source, it is back up again:

http://www.nowgamer.com/columns/casual-games/476/give-us-back-the-old-nintendo

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Thanks for all the well thought out posters (Mike_Intellivison, Clifffhanger, MaxwellGT2000, The Ghost of RubangB, and many more).  I didn't even bother reading most of the pages (mainly read last one and the original post).  Obviously, the guy that wrote the article doesn't understand what Nintendo was and is now.  I actually left Nintendo a little (Sega Genesis, PS1) but I returned with the N64.  Anyways, I have never felt abandoned by Nintendo and it seems like they are getting me more and more as time goes on.  Like many have said it is people's taste that change.  Nintendo hasn't abandoned their fans and never will.

Nintendo didn't have any new games because I didn't buy/play any of them.

That's a very nice writte up.

Current Nintendo rides only on casual titles and some people nostalgia for old ninty games.

East Europe is best example of that:

- first it's mostly pc gaming land so consoles are mostly an additional equipment or replacement of pc for gamers which means it's what we describe as core gamer who buys them

- second 250 euro is a lot of money  in East Europe so you don't blow it on a whim and nintendo doesn't advertise in this area

- third - in days of NES/SNES only extremly limited amount of nintendo consoles were available in east so we don't look at current gen through Mario/Zelda colored glasses

And the end result when Wii is judged only on current lineup of titles the sales are total disaster

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB