By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Give Us Back The Old Nintendo (Nowgamer article)

Mr. Fister said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
d21lewis said:

I miss the days when Nintendo released games like Donkey Kong Country, Metroid, Goldeneye, and Kirby.  Those were the good old days. 

And Star Fox. Man it would be so nice to see these games again.

And PilotWings. Man, I'd like to see PilotWings again. ;)

And NBA Jam. Man, how awesome would that be. :)

don't waste time

3DS FC 4914-3563-4510

NNID : turtuls

Around the Network
Torillian said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Doobie_wop said:

The article is specifically talking about the Nintendo Wii, I assumed that everyone else in this thread was also talking about the Nintendo Wii. So when I mention Nintendo in my post in this thread, I'm obviously referring to Nintendos performance on the Wii.

Xenoblade, Wii series, The Last Story and Endless Ocean are the only Wii IPs you mentioned. Xenoblade has only been released in Japan with no Western release scheduled and The Last Story hasn't been released yet, so no one knows if it's going to be any good or not. Your post proves my point and unless you try a littler harder I will remain convinced that Nintendo have put little effort into introducing new IPs this gen.

But if you add qualifiers, then I can knock off most of the HD games you listed using various means.

And why is a new IP so vital? You need a solid game as well, and Nintendo is not going to make a new IP just for the sake of it. And so far you haven't given a reason to have a new IP other than for the sake of it.

true, if you make up some qualifiers with that intent you could, but I think his qualifiers actually make sense.  Every game he listed besides perhaps Crackdown (don't recall for that one) was extremely well received and are widely regarded as great-fantastic games.  You can't say the same for games that haven't even released over here yet.  If he used your qualifiers he'd have an even bigger list.

But a lot of the games weren't even made by them, and not even second party, so I could have qualifiers that make sense. Gears would have to be dropped since it was made by Epic, drop Mass Effect as made by Bioware, drop Resistance as Insomniac is not actually a second party of Sony.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

LordTheNightKnight said:
Torillian said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Doobie_wop said:

The article is specifically talking about the Nintendo Wii, I assumed that everyone else in this thread was also talking about the Nintendo Wii. So when I mention Nintendo in my post in this thread, I'm obviously referring to Nintendos performance on the Wii.

Xenoblade, Wii series, The Last Story and Endless Ocean are the only Wii IPs you mentioned. Xenoblade has only been released in Japan with no Western release scheduled and The Last Story hasn't been released yet, so no one knows if it's going to be any good or not. Your post proves my point and unless you try a littler harder I will remain convinced that Nintendo have put little effort into introducing new IPs this gen.

But if you add qualifiers, then I can knock off most of the HD games you listed using various means.

And why is a new IP so vital? You need a solid game as well, and Nintendo is not going to make a new IP just for the sake of it. And so far you haven't given a reason to have a new IP other than for the sake of it.

true, if you make up some qualifiers with that intent you could, but I think his qualifiers actually make sense.  Every game he listed besides perhaps Crackdown (don't recall for that one) was extremely well received and are widely regarded as great-fantastic games.  You can't say the same for games that haven't even released over here yet.  If he used your qualifiers he'd have an even bigger list.

But a lot of the games weren't even made by them, and not even second party, so I could have qualifiers that make sense. Gears would have to be dropped since it was made by Epic, drop Mass Effect as made by Bioware, drop Resistance as Insomniac is not actually a second party of Sony.

Then you'd have to drop The Last Story and Xenoblade...

And Resistance is owned by Sony.

LordTheNightKnight said:
Torillian said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Doobie_wop said:

you could, but you'd have to drop Elite Beat Agents, Last Story, Endless Ocean, Trace Memory, Hotel Dusk, Glory of Heracles, and Professor Layton.

Torillian said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Torillian said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Doobie_wop said:

you could, but you'd have to drop Elite Beat Agents, Last Story, Endless Ocean, Trace Memory, Hotel Dusk, Glory of Heracles, and Professor Layton.

Not Xenoblade?

Around the Network
Boutros said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Torillian said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Doobie_wop said:

Well isn't The Last Story owned by Nintendo? That's a serious question. I don't actually know.

Also, Monolith is a second party to Nintendo now, so Xenoblade stays.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

LordTheNightKnight said:
Boutros said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Torillian said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Doobie_wop said:

Well isn't The Last Story owned by Nintendo? That's a serious question. I don't actually know.

Perhaps Xenoblade.

But The Last Story is not owned by Nintendo.

LordTheNightKnight said:
Doobie_wop said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Doobie_wop said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Doobie_wop said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

"Your kinda grasping for straw's, listing one or two sequels on the PS3 and 360 doesn't counteract his argument."

Just because he didn't list more doesn't mean there aren't loads more.

Plus new IP is not the same thing as not being a sequel.

I'm not saying there aren't sequel's on the HD consoles, I'm just saying that in terms of great new IPs, Nintendo is lacking.

When I think of new IPs this gen, I remember Resistance, Gears of War, Little Big Planet, Infamous, Crackdown, Alan Wake, Uncharted, Flower, Mass Effect, Shadow Complex and Demon's Souls. Then you have the robust Third Party support. The only new IPs that come to mind when I think of the Wii is the Wii series. 

Well it's still not the case that Nintendo hasn't done new IPs. They are just often lower profile. Plus a lot of the new IPs you listed were merely published first party, so going by that we have plenty of new IPs from Nintendo, ranging from Ouendan/Elite Beat Agents, to Xenoblade, to Last Story, to Endless Ocean, to Brain Age, to the Wii series, to Nintendogs, to Trace Memory, to Hotel Dusk, to Glory of Heracles, to Professor Layton.

I didn't realise that we were bringing in DS games, I was only talking about consoles, otherwise I would have mentioned some PSP games. The Wii is the problem, not the DS.

The bolded part refers to them in general. And you clearly didn't notice a lot of what I listed is still on the Wii.

There aren't any qualifiers, were talking about the Wii and not the DS, that's pretty much it. Every point I made was true and still stands, if I was to start listing off games that haven't been released yet or have only released in Japan, then my list would be much larger.

A new IP is vital when introducing new experiences. Despite what many people on this site may think, Mario Galaxy plays alot like Mario Sunshine, which played alot like Mario 64. Mario Kart Wii plays alot like Mario Kart 64 and Double Dash. Super Smash Bros. Brawl was just not as good as the last games in the series due to the controller. We have 8 Mario Partys and they lost their shine after the 4th. Twilight Princess is a port, Pikmin 1 2 are ports, Mario Tennis is a port and Donkey Kong Jungle Beat is a port.

You can tweak thing's here and there, but every Nintendo game stay's essentially the same. Nintendo are boring, they have such great talent and yet we see the same game over and over again.  I expect better from the greatest developers in the world.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Boutros said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Boutros said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Torillian said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Doobie_wop said:

Perhaps Xenoblade.

But The Last Story is not owned by Nintendo.

Well the point is that Nintendo isn't that far behind the other first parties, or even the third parties. Note that taken individually, each developer has put out fewer IPs each generation. So singling out Nintendo is wrong, since it's not just them.

Boutros said:
Torillian said:

Not Xenoblade?

Nintendo owns Monolith Soft

The rEVOLution is not being televised