By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Give Us Back The Old Nintendo (Nowgamer article)

scorptile said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

@OP: Nintendo should never piss off its die-hard fans, because they are those that always save it when things don't go as well as planned (while "casuals" could betray it at any time), but hadn't it expanded its audience it wouldn't have become the almost invincible giant it currently is. The correct recipe, considering also that it doesn't lack the necessary resources, is to satisfy both old and new user groups.

Where the hell is the evidence that the "casual" audience is like that? I've seen accusations, but never proof.

The mainstream isn't some fad oriented group. Their tastes can change, but that isn't the same thing. You give them someting they want to buy, and they will buy it. That's been the case since about when capitalsim began.

The evidence is in the past: casuals were with NES and SNES, but they betrayed N64 and GC for PS and PS2. They were with PS and PS2, but they betrayed PS3 for Wii. They used to call Duke Nukem to be saved from the aliens, now they forgot him and they call Master Chief instead (j/k, I'd never call Duke's fans "casuals", please don't shoot me!  ). Nobody can take their support for granted. They WANT support, they DON'T OFFER it! Bunch of ungrateful bastards!!!   

i agree with you here. but mostly i think the reason for the n64 let down wasnt cause of the hardware but at the beginning games were very very few and far between. i mean the first 6 months of the n64's life there was count them 6 games total. granted mario 64 was awesome and i absolutely loved mortal kombat trilogy but you can only play those for so long before you get bored and want more. now the cartridge thing wasnt that big of deal cause now flash media is starting to revive cartridge things. what i dont get is why is the wii getting ignored for good games i mean you dont have to use motion controls. games like mortal kombat and street fighter were really good back in teh day and there was no motion controls then. 

what i see as "hatred" towards the ps3 and sony fanboys now is actually from when the ps one was around. sony's tactics was dirty when it came to grabbing ip's from third parties. you know how all the sony lovers were beside themselves and upset about microsoft getting FF13? guess what the difference was when FF7 was canned for the n64 to be made for the ps one? they didnt make it multi console. during the ps2 days sony fanboys got arrogant and made fun of anyone not having a ps2. what the ps3 is feeling now is what the N64 had. at the beginning there really wasnt any support. the initial buy was decent but fell flat shortly after as the opponent sky rockets out of control.

i think all these "motion control" things are good and i loved having the more sinple controls. but i think the joystick thing is all fun for some games but for others i think it really isnt all that good. i love what nintendo did with SMBWII and what they are doing with DKCRWII if more developers did that instead of trying to make things difficult these companies can actually get along fine.  i know im on  a rant but oh well. just think when square had its hay day there were one game coming out once every few years not 4-6 in differnt ip's and the quality of those games were amazing now ive heard how horrible FF13 has been. maybe they ought to go back to what made them awesome. very long quests, and great stories. they didnt care what their graphics looked like until FF7 came out.  ive been saying its all about gameplay not how a game looks since the ps2 came out. now with the wii proving my point now i still hear from sony lovers that the wii isnt good cause it doesnt look as good as the ps3. here is my dilema i have a pc i game on. the graphics on my pc looks amazing. it uses the same media as the xbox 360 but yet games you would think would be cool on teh pc that are for the 360 are not made. i enjoy playing SF4 on the pc. now can you imagine if you can make a mortal kombat for the pc the way that SF4 is? it would bring back what they had back in the day.

Oh, I mostly agree, and about controls, I think too that the best thing is to have the widest choice possible, to each genre its most suitable control. And I agree that the reasons for "betrayals" almost never lie in HW but in SW. HW can have an influence on the kind of user base a console can best target, though, but as each console offers classic controllers too, old style gamers shouldn't be let down by HW, it's only SW that can disappoint them. So HW novelties used at best extend user base towards still untapped groups, they don't by any means damage existing groups by themselves, HW offers capabilities, new HW extends them, but in the end it's always up to SW to use them.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network

This is the biggest i joke i will read today ...

Did they watched Nintendo last E3 press conference something tells me that they did not.

GO PATS! 2012 THE YEAR OF NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS'S 4TH SUPER BOWL!

A patriot to the end. GO PATS!

Now playing> THE LAST STORY (Wii) Best RPG I EVER PLAYED. *-*

Nintendo could u please just take my money and give me back my 3DS?!

LordTheNightKnight said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

[...]

Obviously I meant "betrayal" in a figurative way, to make  a little fun of those that actually consider a betrayer a customer that changes his mind. The customer is king, I agree, but the "betrayal" fuss never stops amusing me.    The serious part of my post is not affected by the joke anyway, call the change of taste like you want, "casuals" go with whoever best meets both their tastes and spending power.

Okay, joking is fine.

As for your last sentence, that proves the point. Nintendo stopped offering what matches their tastes and spending power. Then Sony stopped doing it and Nintendo started up again.

This is also why I'm wary of Final Fantasy XIII, despite owning most of the other games (and thinking Vanille is really hot). It looks like something that doesn't match what I like about the other FF games (or tolerated with X).

Yes, it was my point since the beginning.

About your last point, I'm not a fan of FF series, but I can understand, actually I get really mad when a series I like gets crippled in any way, I'm still mad at Myth III despite having paid it very little from a bargain bin, I didn't buy Deus Ex: Invisible Wars when I read in reviews that they dumbed it down both in difficulty and skills system, I stopped buying Tomb Raider games after the second, Hexen II was very far below the first, I buy good but very hyped games in Game of the Year Editions or anything similar because I know that had I bought something simple and short like Half Life: Blue Shift separately I'd have been very disappointed, but instead bought with the main game at a budget price it was acceptable, some more hours of fun for free, etc. Actually I must admit that Nintendo is quite out of the norm managing to keep its franchises (I'm not anymore a fan, but I could never deny a truth so evident, Ninty manages to make its games loved by more people than anybody else) so good for so long, but also SE, despite having disappointed quite a considerable number of FF fans with XIII, has achieved a nice record, there could be a lot worse from what I read from others and what I saw personally.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Boutros said:
Zucas said:

His use of "we" is not only arrogant but also rather funny in the irony of it all haha.  Think he needs to go back and understand he is only speaking for himself though.  

I think he means him and his colleagues.

Well, I doubt his bosses agree -- the story is 404.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

With feelings like this, it is a wonder that Nintendo has sold any games or consoles -- oh, wait a minute, it has sold as much as its two closest competitors COMBINED since it came out.

Now that I have everyone's attention with an over-the-top, snarky comment, here are my real thoughts.

First of all, the article can't even be found on the Now Gamer website. It was so out there that the publisher, which has PS3 and Xbox 360 BUT NOT WII magazines in the UK, seems to have pulled it. (It does publish a Pokemon magazine -- but that is generally a handheld game and its own industry).  

Two, it is from the UK, which if you follow things, tends to lead the world in Wii bashing. Or at least it seems that way to me because so many people complain about the Wii not being the PS3 or Xbox 360  -- or at least in HD (which is exactly why so many people buy it).

Three, for companies, it is about making money, not necessarily about garnering the love of some small subset of gamers who hang around in Internet forums. While no one liked Camey's comment about the Kotaku crowd, she is right in that it is not that group who Nintendo is trying to reach -- it is the 99.44% rest of the world.

Finally, if Nintendo was doing so many things wrong, why are the "big" innovations from the competitors more resemble the Vii than something new?

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Around the Network
Ratix240sx said:

yeah that article is a troll article. im no nintendo fan by any means but the wii has so matter games that I'd love to get my hands on if i wasn't broke...not to mention some of the games shown at e3.....but then again im one of those casual gamers who only loves mainstream  games like sin & punishment 2.

Your avatar ...is the best thing in this thread...it really is....

Just backing to the topic, to anyone who agrees with the article please go to e3.nintendo.com and watch their press conference just one more time , than u go and watch another conference that had a Kid on stage saying "Sklitles !" and later on u can watch the press conference where people does not know about the Wii existence.

GO PATS! 2012 THE YEAR OF NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS'S 4TH SUPER BOWL!

A patriot to the end. GO PATS!

Now playing> THE LAST STORY (Wii) Best RPG I EVER PLAYED. *-*

Nintendo could u please just take my money and give me back my 3DS?!

Nintari said:

If you're 21 and under, you shouldn't even comment in this thread. You weren't alive when Nintendo was at it's best and so your experience is VERY limited on the subject.

There was a time when Nintendo CREATED Zelda,Mario and Metroid...not simply made sequels. If you were alive during this time, like I was, you'll totally understand the article.

So, the PS3 and Xbox 360 are not filled with sequels? (God of War says hello to Halo ...)

So Super Mario Galaxy was not a new play experience? (Exiting character, new way to play)

So the Wii/Mii series is something old? (copied by others with avatars)

So Miyamoto saying it was time for a new character (a new IP) does not mean anything?

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

mike_intellivision said:

With feelings like this, it is a wonder that Nintendo has sold any games or consoles -- oh, wait a minute, it has sold as much as its two closest competitors COMBINED since it came out.

Now that I have everyone's attention with an over-the-top, snarky comment, here are my real thoughts.

First of all, the article can't even be found on the Now Gamer website. It was so out there that the publisher, which has PS3 and Xbox 360 BUT NOT WII magazines in the UK, seems to have pulled it. (It does publish a Pokemon magazine -- but that is generally a handheld game and its own industry).  

Two, it is from the UK, which if you follow things, tends to lead the world in Wii bashing. Or at least it seems that way to me because so many people complain about the Wii not being the PS3 or Xbox 360  -- or at least in HD (which is exactly why so many people buy it).

Three, for companies, it is about making money, not necessarily about garnering the love of some small subset of gamers who hang around in Internet forums. While no one liked Camey's comment about the Kotaku crowd, she is right in that it is not that group who Nintendo is trying to reach -- it is the 99.44% rest of the world.

Finally, if Nintendo was doing so many things wrong, why are the "big" innovations from the competitors more resemble the Vii than something new?

Mike from Morgantown

Was that a typo, or were you referring to the infamous "Chintendo Vii" knockoff?

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Aaaand the editorial has disappeared into the vast wasteland of the interwebz. Never to be seen again.

Pity.

KylieDog said:
Chrizum said:
saicho said:

Exactly what games on consoles this gen fit your standard of new game design/content?

Kylie is not going to answer this you know...

Because Nintendo hasn't done any this gen.   THAT IS THE ISSUE.  I already listed previous gen examples, can scroll up if want to see them again.

The question was not directed to Nintendo console. There are 3 consoles this gen.

Exactly what games on PS3/360 fit your standard of new game design/content?

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.