By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 slim vs Xbox360 slim

BMaker11 said:

What will be more interesting is when it gets back down to normal weekly numbers. Both systems will be $300. Both will have mandatory hard drives and wireless, so the feature count will be the same (minus Blu-Ray obviously). Finally, price parity with just about equal features. NOW we can TRULY see what people want more

Possibly, but for right now 360 S is extremely supply constrained while PS3 (finally) isn't.  It might be months before we can get a really relative comparison going...

Around the Network

In the US the 360-S is holding up much better than the slim which is a bit strange as I thought a price cut would ahve more effect than just a redesign.

Ka*ching  Serious still knows his numbers!

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

kowenicki said:
AnthonyW86 said:

I kind of hate the guy, but i'm going to quote Pachter on this one:

"During the month, Wal-Mart ran a promotion offering $50 gift cards with the purchase of an Arcade bundle, driving the already-discounted $149 price down to an effective $99 price point," Pachter said.

"It is clear that the sales spike for the 360 was largely temporary, as clearance items accounted for around 60% of total sales, and it is not clear that software attached heavily to these purchases."

So according to him 60% of 360 sales were old models, not the 360 S. Don't know if that's true, but the old models did get a price cut and a insane Wall-Mart deal it seems.

oh this again... the slim was only available for 1/2 the month!!

But the 1/2 when it wasn't available X360 was only selling 50k a week, so the bulk of the sales was still from the period with the slim available. Not saying that it makes the X360S performance less impressive(old PS3 where discounted when the Slim launched aswell you know), just putting it out there.

Besides the real succes of the model can only determined after a few months of sales, and i don't see the Xbox 360s boost the consoles sales close to 40% YoY by next year like it did for the PS3(Halo Reach and Natal will boost sales though).

Serious_frusting said:
kowenicki said:
chapset said:

updated OP also I didn't adjust the numbers for NZ and Australia because there's no way to know for sure how much the xbox slim did there first week

eh?  you also dont know how many of any of the numbers are slim v old?  so you are ognoring 2 weeks of sales for Aus and NZ? 

how can you do that?

Tell you what ignore Japan then too.. and the US... there is no way of knowing how many of those are slim v old..

I think the best thing to do is look at the numbers of the week before the slim released.  then anything above that number should be asumed to be the slim and special offers. SSo just add those into the OP

there's fluctuation every week in the chart should we assume those are slim related too? anyway it's more or less 10k it doesn't matter that much

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

Around the Network

After the launch of PS3 slim...I'm not sure how anybody could think that 360S wouldn't have a solid launch...granted, it was going to be as pronounced, given that a price cut wasn't involved, but still...

Overall,  great results for both consoles, and it bodes well for the consumer.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

Scarily on week 5 of the aligned launches of PS3 Slim and 360s for US is the following.

PS3 Slim 5th week in America moves into October, which is naturally a better selling time of the year. You would expect any console to do better in October than in July.

360's 5th week = 103,000 July.

PS3 Slim 5th week = 84,000 October.

360 is just unstoppable in US. If M$ had of waited and had more units available in September/October we may well have seen 180 - 220 k a week on it's 5th week. 

selnor said:

Scarily on week 5 of the aligned launches of PS3 Slim and 360s for US is the following.

PS3 Slim 5th week in America moves into October, which is naturally a better selling time of the year. You would expect any console to do better in October than in July.

360's 5th week = 103,000 July.

PS3 Slim 5th week = 84,000 October.

360 is just unstoppable in US. If M$ had of waited and had more units available in September/October we may well have seen 180 - 220 k a week on it's 5th week. 

PS3 was doing around 30k-35k before the new model launched, X360 about 50k-55k so the increase is about the same. Though Microsoft will definitely be making more profit on their new model than Sony did(they were still losing money). 

Microsoft should release a $299 Halo Reach bundle, that way they could keep the momentum going until Kinect and the holidays. They could probably even affort a price cut before than, but i think they will be satisfied with current sales and keep it profitable.

jarrod said:
BMaker11 said:

What will be more interesting is when it gets back down to normal weekly numbers. Both systems will be $300. Both will have mandatory hard drives and wireless, so the feature count will be the same (minus Blu-Ray obviously). Finally, price parity with just about equal features. NOW we can TRULY see what people want more

Possibly, but for right now 360 S is extremely supply constrained while PS3 (finally) isn't.  It might be months before we can get a really relative comparison going...

I meant, all terms equal. When they are available equally at $300 at retail, and no other factors inhibiting that

You'd have to be brainless to ignore the $100 price cut the PS3 slim saw.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)