By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - EMEAA Up - 10th July 2010

Metallicube said:
kitler53 said:

i can't believe how far the wii has fallen from grace...lovin' it!

so for the moment ps3 has about 30k on the 360.  who wants to take the over under on 360 falling to 80k in the americas this week?  i'm thinking (hoping) it will be close this week with the 360 on top.

So first place in console sale is falling from grace huh? News to me...

Don't worry, PS3 will have its time too...

I love how despite still outselling PS2 launch aligned, Wii's the one who's fallen from grace.   The disconnect and double standards are truly mind blowing...

Around the Network
jarrod said:
Metallicube said:
kitler53 said:

so for the moment ps3 has about 30k on the 360.  who wants to take the over under on 360 falling to 80k in the americas this week?  i'm thinking (hoping) it will be close this week with the 360 on top.

I love how despite still outselling PS2 launch aligned, Wii's the one who's fallen from grace.   The disconnect and double standards are truly mind blowing...

And your argument will last only more 12 months I'm afraid.

PS2 back in 04-05 is simply too much for Wii to keep up with. It's already getting outsold by some 80k per week, and that's before the slim launch.

Wow Wii is real low.  Used to be close to the total of the HD consoles.  Now it barely manages to stay ahead of one.  I fear for it when PS3 gets the 3D movie firmware update.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

haxxiy said:
jarrod said:
Metallicube said:
kitler53 said:

PS2 back in 04-05 is simply too much for Wii to keep up with. It's already getting outsold by some 80k per week, and that's before the slim launch.

Problem with this logic is that you are going under the assumption that Wii won't have any more big hit games that will reinvigorate it. There are a number of games like DKC, Wii Party, Goldeneye, Wii vitality Sensor/Wii Relax, Kirby, etc that will drive momentum for Wii, especially around the holidays, which has always been a very strong selling time for Nintendo. And of course there is Zelda, in 2011, and plenty of other yet to be announced games I'm sure.

haxxiy said:
jarrod said:
Metallicube said:
kitler53 said:

Wii's going to finish the gen in a strong 1st place (having sold more than five times it's predecessor I might add), while PS3 will have lost more marketshare (and money) than any single platform in the history of the industry.  So which is the real "fall from grace" exactly?

Around the Network
tuoyo said:

Wow Wii is real low.  Used to be close to the total of the HD consoles.  Now it barely manages to stay ahead of one.  I fear for it when PS3 gets the 3D movie firmware update.

I don't.

3D is a cool feature and all, but it's way too expensive to get anywhere near mass market penetration. You aren't going to find many people willing to shellout $3000 on a TV set, not to mention wear those stupid glasses. $2000-$3000 for a TV is simply too much money, unless the thing is gonna like, make you breakfast or something.

I still can't even justify spending any more than $300 for an HDTV.

Metallicube said:
haxxiy said:
jarrod said:
Metallicube said:
kitler53 said:

Problem with this logic is that you are going under the assumption that Wii won't have any more big hit games that will reinvigorate it. There are a number of games like DKC, Wii Party, Goldeneye, Wii vitality Sensor/Wii Relax, Kirby, etc that will drive momentum for Wii, especially around the holidays, which has always been a very strong selling time for Nintendo. And of course there is Zelda, in 2011, and plenty of other yet to be announced games I'm sure.

Like the massive boost that Galaxy 2 gave it? The PS2 did not fall this fast in sales and it is truly staggering the lengths some people (not talking about you) will go to to look away from current numbers, the Wii is currently seriously underperforming compared to the lofty expectations in here and besides the initial "the Wii will be a success" prediction, almost every single omptimistic Wii hardware prediction in here has gone awry. The guaranteed 50% by the end of 08 and 09 and 10', the guaranteed 45 million sold by 08, the guaranteed 70-75 million by 09, the incredible boost from price and color change that has resulted in yoy drops this year and the list goes on. Look at people such as John Lucas, his predictions were hailed as genius and amazing, yet all of them crashed and burned heavily, which resulted in him all but leaving the site in embarrassment and in sum, he is actually a lot farther away with his predictions than the one member who got the most ridicule and flack in here (I did it as well so I'm not being holier than thou); Crazzyman with his moronic predictions that everyone either shrugged off or plain laughed at. And then there are the intellectuals who make deep analysis showing how the Wii will grow and grow, making yoy gains both this year and next (not so many of those anymore though, I think even the brainy guys are starting to see it won't happen) and how it will zoom past the PS2 and the DS, despite the DS outselling it by up to 50-100% some weeks and continuously staying far above in hardware despite being quite a bit farther into the lifecycle (and the large yoy drops, the Wii even failed to make gains yoy in 2009, despite the extreme optimism). Come to think of it, the DS is the console that many want the Wii to be, but the Wii will never reach DS numbers in hardware sales, its just not gonna happen.

Its doing great but not quite as great as some people would have it.Its okay, it will still end up as the second best selling home console of all time and third best selling console overall and that coming from a predecessor that barely managed 25 million units sold and this is a staggering feat, the most impressive turnaround in console history in my honest opinion.

PS: Before anyone answers (like they always do); lol fanboy, baron butthurt, dumb oaf etc, I'm a PC gamer plain and simple. I own a PS3 but I rarely touch it despite owning a dozen or so games for it. My bias now lies with the PC and I kind of resent all consoles for stealing developers and dumbing down all games and genres into pulp.

Edit; sorry for the fire and brimstone, I'm in a nostalgic period again, playing old games and realizing just how shitty new ones are...

Mummelmann said:
Metallicube said:

Like the massive boost that Galaxy 2 gave it? The PS2 did not fall this fast in sales and it is truly staggering the lengths some people (not talking about you) will go to to look away from current numbers, the Wii is currently seriously underperforming compared to the lofty expectations in here and besides the initial "the Wii will be a success" prediction, almost every single omptimistic Wii hardware prediction in here has gone awry. The guaranteed 50% by the end of 08 and 09 and 10', the guaranteed 45 million sold by 08, the guaranteed 70-75 million by 09, the incredible boost from price and color change that has resulted in yoy drops this year and the list goes on. Look at people such as John Lucas, his predictions were hailed as genius and amazing, yet all of them crashed and burned heavily, which resulted in him all but leaving the site in embarrassment and in sum, he is actually a lot farther away with his predictions than the one member who got the most ridicule and flack in here (I did it as well so I'm not being holier than thou); Crazzyman with his moronic predictions that everyone either shrugged off or plain laughed at. And then there are the intellectuals who make deep analysis showing how the Wii will grow and grow, making yoy gains both this year and next (not so many of those anymore though, I think even the brainy guys are starting to see it won't happen) and how it will zoom past the PS2 and the DS, despite the DS outselling it by up to 50-100% some weeks and continuously staying far above in hardware despite being quite a bit farther into the lifecycle (and the large yoy drops, the Wii even failed to make gains yoy in 2009, despite the extreme optimism). Come to think of it, the DS is the console that many want the Wii to be, but the Wii will never reach DS numbers in hardware sales, its just not gonna happen.

Its doing great but not quite as great as some people would have it.Its okay, it will still end up as the second best selling home console of all time and third best selling console overall and that coming from a predecessor that barely managed 25 million units sold and this is a staggering feat, the most impressive turnaround in console history in my honest opinion.

PS: Before anyone answers (like they always do); lol fanboy, baron butthurt, dumb oaf etc, I'm a PC gamer plain and simple. I own a PS3 but I rarely touch it despite owning a dozen or so games for it. My bias now lies with the PC and I kind of resent all consoles for stealing developers and dumbing down all games and genres into pulp.

Edit; sorry for the fire and brimstone, I'm in a nostalgic period again, playing old games and realizing just how shitty new ones are...

Yah well I guess you might be right. It doesn't mean I won't resent you for actually creating then me reading that wall of text.

Don't worry guys, it's the middle of summer. Towards the end of the year is when
we're really going to see sales of the wii re invigorated in a dominating fashion.

WilliamWatts said:
Mummelmann said:
Metallicube said:

Yah well I guess you might be right. It doesn't mean I won't resent you for actually creating then me reading that wall of text.

Lol, sorry about that, just came home from work, full of Red Bull and coffee!