By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will PS Move sell to non PS3 owners?

psrock said:

There's a $399 bundle announced?

Yeah!, http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=113052&page=1#5

Around the Network

Why would someone purchase MOVE if they don't have a PS3 O.o     Just kidding.    :D

Seriously, I doubt it. It'll probably sell to existing owners. Then, it might create a name for itself and sell to non PS3 owners. I doubt it though.

I honestly don't think people will buy a whole console for the Move.  I think most people are going to see a $200 Wii that comes with Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort, and then they're going to see a $400 PS3 that comes with Sports Champions and a demo disc.  It's up to Sony to convince people that it's a good deal even though it's twice the price and half the games.

Also, I don't think Sports Champions is a system seller.  Wii Sports was a system seller in 2006, and it doesn't differentiate itself from Wii Sports at all.  It has 6 games in it, and 4 of them are in Wii Sports Resort.  The only new games are bocce ball and volleyball, which aren't exactly system sellers.

zzamaro said:

I don't think so. Wii has more games, better games and it's cheaper than 400 USD.

I was gonna say the same.

People won't buy the Console Move Bundle because Move is like 10 times more accurate than Move or because it has better graphics. If people cared for accuracy so much, would people have really bought the Wii? (not saying that the Wii isn't accurate.)

People will look that the Wii has Wii series games and Mario and it's cheaper and it supports 4 Players and that pretty much seals the deal.

Having said this though, people with PS3s will buy the Move if it's what they want. Not you won't see Move as a System Seller when clearly you've got another console that is very similar and cheaper.

More worrying is selling to the hardcore.

My PS3 owning friends are not fans of motion controls.

One even saw Move on a tech programme and exclaimed "How Bent"

Sony need a wide audience for Move a niche motion control product will just end up being poorly supported in the long run !

Around the Network

There wont be any shock and awe from the people who go in to Best buy and demo it out because they were at the wii demo station 4 years and 10 minutes before and they would like to see something more in enticing. It will sell when the wiis are all sold out and then on christmahanakwansika their kid will cry and scream," I wanted the wii!!" Then the parent and child either return it or enjoy it (hopefully the latter.) But all in all if this was supposed to be targeted at new playstation 3 purchusers, then they would have to put Kevin Butler through hell in marketing the crap out of this because even though nintendo sold a lot of wiis, the people would only rather pay only $200 dollars to play sports games instead of getting better graphics for double the cost.

don't waste time

3DS FC 4914-3563-4510

NNID : turtuls

Personally i dont feel it will sell... but then again, im not casual. And most of the people in here aren't casuals.

But, trying to look at it from an outside POV, i'd say the PS3 image and price is the reason why it won't sell. Its not a kiddy console, its not something you just go out and purchase for the sole reason of playing casual games.  It's more likely that it will sell to non-ps3 owners that are already looking into purchasing one because of existing games, and the Move might help convince their girlfriend on why they should spend $399 on a games console.

Thats my honest opinion.

Well I think it will because if there are non PS3 owners buying the PS3 every week then there will also be non PS3 owners buying the PS3 Move pack. Is this not logical?

If PS3 owners are anything like we are here on the almighty interwebz, then of course Move will sell to non-PS3 owners. We current PS3 owners don't give two shits about motion control, and actually think it's a detriment to just sitting back and enjoying games. So mostly non-PS3 owners will be the ones interested in Move.

Sony shouldn't want Move to sell to the core audience. They should want it to sell to the "expanded" audience, and I mean....Sports Champions and what not. If us current PS3 owners wanted that...we'd have just gotten a Wii

However, you must also take into consideration that there are some people that want motion controlled, casual games, as well as the hardcore experience you'd get with the PS3 or 360. I've seen detractors on both sides (Seece trying to somehow say Move is more expensive than than Kinect because for some reason 4 people are required to enjoy Move so you need 4 controllers; PS3 fans saying Kinect at $150 is just too much), but for those who want the best of both worlds, the Move bundle (or the Kinect bundle for 360) is a MUCH better deal than PSWii or Wii60. And it makes buying games easier as well

I think both Move and Kinect may well struggle to get non console owners (PS3/360) to bite over the Wii.

They might depending on marketing, games and hype, but I'm not convinced currently.

As I see it:

MOVE

Pros - similar to Wii, can position as the 'better' Wii, will get ports and similar titles, Playstation brand still strong with target demographic, mix of controllers/camera makes it familiar while able to offer a difference to Wii, shown library already looks to have some strong titles and it will clearly support a very broad range of genres, with Blu-Ray and HD adoption on the rise it offers a full family multi-media centre in a way the Wii simply cannot while offering very similar experiences that we know from the Wii people like

Cons - maybe too similar to Wii, expensive - particularly if you want a lot of Move controllers, the glowing dildo look might not appeal, needs stronger marketing (IMHO), PS3 remains behind Wii so it's asking a lot for MOVE to make it more appealing all of a sudden for similar experiences except in HD or with the addition of camera enhanced reality

KINECT

Pros - totally different to Wii and easy to differentiate, can position as 'better' than Wii, good marketing and hype so far with at least one title that's stood out, offers a good muli-media centre (if slightly behind PS3 due to lack of BR) for the family to watch DVDs, movies on demand, music, etc. plus games.  Sure to get lots of push in US which is the most natural market for the device at launch and the most suitable for the device in terms of room design

Cons - maybe too different to Wii, expensive (if rumoured price is right), looks like for a while the range of genres will be narrow, less known brand for target demographic, particularly outside US, less proven - we known people like holding a Wii mote like device both sitting and standing but whether people want extended, constant moving your body is less sure

So, right now, a firm 'maybe'...

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...