By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Americas (and Worldwide) up ! 3rd July

BBH said:

You American employees have to remember though that in America the 360 has nearly 10M more owners, and has been more hyped.

It's preorder figures there should be way ahead of Move.

fair point Europe and Japan may be different.

Around the Network
nightsurge said:
BBH said:
nightsurge said:
BBH said:
kowenicki said:
BBH said:
kowenicki said:
BBH said:

Historically 360 boosts have been short lived.

So we should wait and see. America/Kinect should keep the 360 ahead of the PS3 until Sony's next price cut. Basically, no chance of PS3 outselling 360 *this generation* now in my opinion.

yeah that boost in 2008 didn't last very long....  I think it was only about 10 months.

More like four.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=112661&page=1&str=1152294608#

Look at 2008 vs 2009 similar months.

I suppose it could still be considered a boost if numbers don't rise, but are prevented from going lower?

I'll split the difference with you... 7 months

Even though the graphs based on VGC numbers basically show 4?

Even still, 7 months (4 actually) is a short boost for going to such a low price point. The PS3 has had a longer, better boost in going to $299.

PS3 boosts are bigger up to now, that's a fact. Kinect may be a different story though for thr 360.

The only PS3 boost that has been bigger was the one that was a combo $100 price cut AND redesign.

Also, lest we forget that the PS3 has now dropped by $200-300 from it's launch price, ~50% price reduction over 3 years while the 360 is still selling at only ~33% less than launch price and only a $100 reduction?

Original price doesn't mean nearly as much as current price though.

In exaggerative terms, if a car priced at £1M was now selling for £300k, and a car priced at £5000 was now selling at £4000 - the second car will still sell more.

We should compare the PS3 $199 drop (when it happens) to the 360 one for best comparison.

No we shouldn't.  Because just as with those cars, they represent different specs and hardware which cost differently to produce, target different audiences, and cannot be directly compared in that way.  By the time a PS3 reaches $199 it would be better compared to a 360 at $99-149 (of actual permanent pricing, not clearance sale pricing).

Well I disagree. I don't see the 36o and PS3 being that different to have to compared that way. I'd still say a $199 PS3 would outsell a $150 360 though.

Problem is the PS3 is more expensive EU and UK than in the USA - by quite a bit.

kitler53 said:
Reach said:
BenVTrigger said:

i hear on N4G that Reach special edition is in the works...dont know if its true but probably is...

GameStop dude , please tell me that u are not serious when u are saying that kinect is having massive pre orders :/ this is bad...

no I'm not kidding at all.  Honestly though we are seeing very few core gamers pre-ordering Kinect so far, its leaning almost entirely to the casual or female markets.  In fact I would say 90% of its sales are going to that market.  Lots of parents picking them up for youger kids.  Also our number 1 pre-ordered Kinect game is Kinectimls.  Not sure how the rest of the country is fairing, my numbers are based off of one state so things could be different in other markets mind you. 

Videogames are lost then... Kinectimals... what a shame... Well im seeing that kinect will be a sucess and Microsoft will probably go Next Gen with kinect in mind wich isnt very good...

sony - the cool kids last stand. :(

I'm not sure how true that is, but I will say this.  While I'm enjoying Silent Hill Shattered Memories, Fire Emblem, Trauma Team, Super Mario Galaxy, and Metroid Prime 3, most people I know who has a Wii are playing Wii Fit, Wii Sports, and Wii Play.  Nothing wrong with that because I respect all forms of gaming.  But most of the Wii owners I know cannot wrap their heads around the concept of a survival horror game or upgrading your troops to deploy them on a gridlike battlefield.

And then you have the typical shooters such as COD and Halo.  And I'm not bashing shooters here because all gamers like to shoot and blow stuff up.  But when all you want to do is shoot and blow things up, you are either a gamer that prefers to play shooters or shooting is all you really want to/can understand.  I tend to come across the later who are not gving games like Beautiful Katamari, Mass Effect, and Lost Odyssey a fair shake.

This seems to be the going trend with games being catered to the masses while games that normally cater to the hardcore gets shoved aside like second class citizens.  It's only the hardcore gamers that I know recognize gem such as Heavy Rain, Little Big Planet, and inFAMOUS and some of the other titles I mentioned above such as Lost Odyssey and Fire Emblem.  The current growth in console gaming has releaved its double-edged sword: When the masses speak, the rest of us are endangered.

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.

Great HW numbers for X360 but I also noticed that even with this massive slim boost PS3 has actually sold more software every week after X360 Slim. This leads to conclusion that pretty many are just upgrading from original to slim. Wii and DS are doing awesome compared to others but not so much compared to last year. PSP needs that price cut and fast....

360 still on top. NICE!!!

Not a 360 fanboy, just a PS3 fanboy hater that likes putting them in their place ^.^

Around the Network

Not bad Deathsmiles, not bad.

themanwithnoname's law: As an America's sales or NPD thread grows longer, the probabilty of the comment "America = World" [sarcasticly] being made approaches 1.

Cant wait for EU Numbers for New Slim !

PS3beats360 said:
kowenicki said:

360 v PS3 gap is back above 5m....

The PS3 will over take the 360 in total sales within a year. You can quote me on that one. 

Within a year huh? Lol Hate to break it to you but that isn`t likely. You also have the holidays coming soon and we all know how big sales can be during that time of year. It has a 5 million lead it isn`t going to lose that in such a short time. Move/Kinect come out during this time as well and nobody knows what effect those 2 will have on either side saleswise.

How our favorite systems are just like humans and sometimes have issues finding their special someone...

Xbox 360 wants to KinectPS3 wants to Move!  Why are both systems having such relationship problems?  The reason is they both become so infactuated with desire while watching the Wii as it waggles on by. They simply want what they can't have.

Official member of the Xbox 360 Squad

So, I mean 360 sales are great and all, but I'm finding it way more interesting (interesting in terms of poor Wii sales) that the Wii and PS3 are close (not tied but within 25% or so) WW.  Used to be that PS3 and 360 couldn't touch the Wii or would barely beat it.

Anyone else notice any plus sign in a reply never shows in the post?

Reach said:
BenVTrigger said:

i hear on N4G that Reach special edition is in the works...dont know if its true but probably is...

GameStop dude , please tell me that u are not serious when u are saying that kinect is having massive pre orders :/ this is bad...

no I'm not kidding at all.  Honestly though we are seeing very few core gamers pre-ordering Kinect so far, its leaning almost entirely to the casual or female markets.  In fact I would say 90% of its sales are going to that market.  Lots of parents picking them up for youger kids.  Also our number 1 pre-ordered Kinect game is Kinectimls.  Not sure how the rest of the country is fairing, my numbers are based off of one state so things could be different in other markets mind you. 

Videogames are lost then... Kinectimals... what a shame... Well im seeing that kinect will be a sucess and Microsoft will probably go Next Gen with kinect in mind wich isnt very good...

Nothing is lost! The majority of the interest is with children and female gamers right now and having games that cater to everyone is not a bad thing. Sometimes we core gamers need to step back and realize we aren`t the only ones that play games nor is it just 18-32 year old adult males either.

How our favorite systems are just like humans and sometimes have issues finding their special someone...

Xbox 360 wants to KinectPS3 wants to Move!  Why are both systems having such relationship problems?  The reason is they both become so infactuated with desire while watching the Wii as it waggles on by. They simply want what they can't have.

Official member of the Xbox 360 Squad