By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Announcement: Change to Signature Rules & Policy.

I'll trim my sig

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Around the Network
Machina said:

Not really; I expect that under 2.0 that sig. would be within the old rule.

There isn't one. Like you say, the old rule doesn't work because it makes the area so small, and there are no other good measurements we can use. People will just have to use common sense and the Mods their discretion to make sure there are no stupidly long sigs.

@Seece - yeah, feel free to report them.

I'd say make it so many lines of text. Adjusting the length as you feel needed. Leaving it solely up to the mods discretion is going to get confusing as one mod could pass on a long sig, and another could act on a slightly shorter, but still long one. It can also lead to sig lengths slowly creeping out of control as they did leading up to the rule being put in more defined terms. I'd say reasonable would be between 10-15 lines at the up limit, but I am really just ball parking based on the old rules.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Machina said:

How do you measure that when it comes to the gifs and pictures that are in most sigs though? How many lines is my sig. for example?

You can use a mouse cursor to guestimate so long as you remember to normalize it against the text. Yours is around 10-11 by my work, but its pretty rough. I confess its not an ideal, but it helps combat the slippery slope problems that lead to situations that create the need for threads like this one. Seems better to make a system that can help combat potential future problems that have already cropped up in the past.

This is a nice change and I like how proactive our new overlord administrator is

Machina said:

@Gnizmo - I guess an upper limit, even though it's inexact and hard to apply, is nonetheless better than nothing. Consider it added to the list of further changes I'll be making to the rules.

Thanks Khuutra ^^

I can definitely understand why you wouldn't want to go with such an inelegant solution. A firm cap on the software side is the ideal, but since I can't code I won't speak to how hard it would be to implement. Thank you for your consideration on the matter. I rest assured you will figure out a workable solution to satisfy the majority.

Around the Network

LordMatrix should remove that "Waggle on by." comment from his signature.

Just saying..

Pixel Art can be fun.

I'm shio, just got banned a few days ago for this new rule. I had a banner that's troll quality ("PC gaming master race, console peasants" stuff), though I've had it for months, and people just didn't care much about, and I thought of it as a tongue-in-cheek humor, never meant it to be serious.

I never knew about this new policy to remove all flamebait/troll banners and crop their size down, which I agree, although I never thought my banners were that offensive.

So 3 days a ago, Machina posted on my wall: "Your sig. falls under the new policy detailed here - http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=112573 . Please change it next time you log on. Thanks."

The next day Seece posted on my wall: "You know if you don't change your sig you'll just get banned", and an hour later he banned me and posted again: "deary me, that's what happens when you're so stubborn"

For the record, I agree with the new policy, and will remove my banners if my account has another chance, but the truth is I rarely check my wall posts (I didn't even know I had new wall posts). I only found out the reason after I was banned :(  I was only given 24 hours to remove my banners, which pretty much is a certain ban for me since, as stated earlier, I rarely check wall posts (or any personal messages of any kind on vgchartz).

SmokedHostage said:

LordMatrix should remove that "Waggle on by." comment from his signature.

Just saying..

This is an issue best dealt with via report or PM. Just saying.

For sigs, why don't we just build an automatic cutoff into the site?  GameSpot has it set up so that everything past a certain point can't be seen, instead cutting straight to the next post, so at worst nobody has to look at overly large sigs, and at best nobody will even make overly large sigs since you can't see them anyway.

Then the mods would only have to worry about trolling, flaming, and gif size.

Hot damn, didn't see this until now! Awesome!

Also, a quick solution for sig size limitation could be to post a picture of how big it would be allowed to be and give some dimensions along with that (280px or whatever it might be). Then people could figure it out for themselves until a more elegant solution could be implemented.