By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why is their a news piece about NSMB being fastest game to 15 million?

MW2 on Ps3 and 360 is the same game imo, same engine, same dev team, same content, same experience, same absolutely everything except one is on a DVD and one is on a Blu-Ray disc. End of the day to Activision, and in any possible sales tracking way you combine the sales, cause the budgets are one, the games are one and they are marketed, released and promoted as one :/.

But that's not even the point, the article title suggests NSBW was the fastest whatever to 15M without specifying exclusivity or whatever. That's misleading, and props to the topic starter for pointing it out. He's right, no matter how you spin it, the article is misleading...

I personally have no idea why people split platform sales anyway, when it's the same game. No third party gives a shit about individual platform sales, they care how the game performed as a whole...

Around the Network
Gnizmo said:
Torillian said:

under that argument isn't Source just making noise until he can prove WoW didn't sell faster than NSMBWii?  I mean Seece is just saying based on the information we have that NSMBWii isn't the fastest selling game to 15 million and your argument is that he shouldn't say that because he can't be sure about the affect of PC game sales, which should apply to Source as well.  He would also be "picking and choosing the data that supports his argument"

In a sense yes, although I'd wager dollars to donuts WoW didn't beat NSMBWii to 15 million. However there is a separate context that I obviously did not fully flesh out. Thesource's article is clearly talking about sales within certain contexts. In this case how quickly a game reached 15 million on a single platform. The rebuttal is that outside of that context it isn't true as MW2 sold 15 million faster across two platforms. Once you go down that road though you have to look at it holistically which no one in this thread has the data for.

So unless Seece has a different way of explaining it I will stand by my point. Within the context of the article Thesource is right and justifies it entirely. Trying to take the statements out of context and put them up against a different set of criterion is entirely dishonest. More so when the person doesn't actually have the data needed to support the claim using their own criteria.

The only reasoning I see the source coming up with is

"Wii while launching at roughly the same time. However, the availability of the title on multiple platforms effectively doubles its "time" on the market."

pearljammer said:

Whoa. I feel sheepish. I'd even read it and somehow missed that.

I retract my statement!

BUT I still think the title is misleading and that it is a strange and arbitrary rule to apply.

I disagree with arbitrary. Single console sales are a fair metric so long as it is applied evenly. If Seece could come here and say the game reached 15 million on a single platform in less time then he'd have an argument. I would bet many who have an issue with this statement would point out that being on multiple platforms means it is less likely to sell huge on one which, ironically, supports my argument.

@Seece
I will quote it for you again. Please read it this time.  "It is by far the fastest time any game has reached 15 million units on a single platform."

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Gnizmo said:
Torillian said:

under that argument isn't Source just making noise until he can prove WoW didn't sell faster than NSMBWii?  I mean Seece is just saying based on the information we have that NSMBWii isn't the fastest selling game to 15 million and your argument is that he shouldn't say that because he can't be sure about the affect of PC game sales, which should apply to Source as well.  He would also be "picking and choosing the data that supports his argument"

In a sense yes, although I'd wager dollars to donuts WoW didn't beat NSMBWii to 15 million. However there is a separate context that I obviously did not fully flesh out. Thesource's article is clearly talking about sales within certain contexts. In this case how quickly a game reached 15 million on a single platform. The rebuttal is that outside of that context it isn't true as MW2 sold 15 million faster across two platforms. Once you go down that road though you have to look at it holistically which no one in this thread has the data for.

So unless Seece has a different way of explaining it I will stand by my point. Within the context of the article Thesource is right and justifies it entirely. Trying to take the statements out of context and put them up against a different set of criterion is entirely dishonest. More so when the person doesn't actually have the data needed to support the claim using their own criteria.

I disagree that he has justified it.  His argument is that because MW2 was on 2 consoles it has gotten twice the amount of time to sell, but what's the difference between one game on 72 million Wiis and one game on 40 million 360s and 35 million PS3s?  Why is it unfair to compare the two?

Seece said:

"Wii while launching at roughly the same time. However, the availability of the title on multiple platforms effectively doubles its "time" on the market."

That is a flat out lie which Ihave proven wrong twice now. READ THE DAMN ARTICLE BEFORE YOU WHINE!

Around the Network
Gnizmo said:
pearljammer said:

Whoa. I feel sheepish. I'd even read it and somehow missed that.

I retract my statement!

BUT I still think the title is misleading and that it is a strange and arbitrary rule to apply.

I disagree with arbitrary. Single console sales are a fair metric so long as it is applied evenly. If Seece could come here and say the game reached 15 million on a single platform in less time then he'd have an argument. I would bet many who have an issue with this statement would point out that being on multiple platforms means it is less likely to sell huge on one which, ironically, supports my argument.

@Seece
I will quote it for you again. Please read it this time.  "It is by far the fastest time any game has reached 15 million units on a single platform."

Yes I'm seeing that clearly, are you reading the title though?

It's a fantastic feat. Though I can't think of why we'd look at MW2 as seperate games.

Anyhow, I really don't care. If it's to be treated as the fastest selling game to some arbitrary number, so be it.

Gnizmo said:
Seece said:

That is a flat out lie which Ihave proven wrong twice now. READ THE DAMN ARTICLE BEFORE YOU WHINE!

Being exclusive is not good enough Gnizmo, I read the article so stop telling me to read it. You're obviously getting worked up because you have little to argue with.

Torillian said:

I disagree that he has justified it.  His argument is that because MW2 was on 2 consoles it has gotten twice the amount of time to sell, but what's the difference between one game on 72 million Wiis and one game on 40 million 360s and 35 million PS3s?  Why is it unfair to compare the two?

"It is by far the fastest time any game has reached 15 million units on a single platform." - TheSource

You have gotten better at ignoring relevant statements (5)

pearljammer said:

It's a fantastic feat. Though I can't think of why we'd look at MW2 as seperate games.

Anyhow, I really don't care. If it's to be treated as the fastest selling game to some arbitrary number, so be it.

Ya,

NSMB - Fastest exclusive to 15 million

MW2 Fastest game to 15 million

That basically sums it up.