By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why is their a news piece about NSMB being fastest game to 15 million?

Gnizmo said:

I disagree with arbitrary. Single console sales are a fair metric so long as it is applied evenly.

Yes, but if we're going to be calling it the fastest selling game on a single console, we shouldn't generalize by saying it's simply the fastest selling game. They're completely different things.

I realize it's just an argument of perspective, and TheSource justifies his own within the article, but the title is very misleading as it implies the perspective of a game generally, plain and simple. When I think of MW2, I don't think PS3, 360 or PC; I simply think of MW2, the game.

Anyhow, it's a very small issue and as I said in my last post - it's a great feat for an unimaginably fun game. It'll undoubtedly outsell MW2 in the long run, who cares which one reached some arbitrary number first?

As for the arbitrary rule thing I'd mentioned earlier, I feel I addressed it at least somewhat in this post though I don't have any time to go further with it. My apologies.

Around the Network
Seece said:

No you're not, you're just saying multiplatforms don't count together.

I have never said any such thing. I have sad the article is referring to sales on a single platform. You can count sales of multiplatform games together, but it is not relevant to the sales of games on a single platform by definition. Try reading what I am typing rather than assuming my intent.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

The fact of the matter is

THIS title "________ is the fastest selling game to top 15 million units"

Belongs to MW2.

mortono said:

Ask yourself: If MW2 was on a single-platform, say X-BOX, would it have reached 15m that fast?

By the way, why don't we combine platforms of New Super Mario Bros? DS Wii = 35 million. Wow. Best selling game EVAR.

(and this works since everyone says the Wii version is just a DS port as you know)

I have to go back to this

It's Xbox, not XBox or X-Box .. gees ...

Gnizmo said:

Because he is referring to single platform sales? Comparing sales across multiple platforms is different from sales on single platforms. If you want to count them both then you need to also factor in the PC version which you most notably do not. When it breaks 15 million on a single platform you can compare it, but until then there are complicating factors.

I want to go back to this too. Stupid statement.

Racer A crosses the finish line in 00:59:00, but they didn't get the EXACT time. Racer B crosses the finish line in 02:39:03, the exact time.

Racer B wins.

Is basically what you're saying here.

Around the Network
Seece said:
Gnizmo said:

Also from the news article " It is by far the fastest time any game has reached 15 million units on a single platform." If you had read the actual news post rather than skim it you would know what he is referring to. I am having a hard time following what you are whining about.

I did read it
, and that part is correct. I'm whining about the fact he's trying to put across "Fastest selling game to 15 million" that's incorrect.

Not necessarily. "record" is the operative word here. The Pittsburgh Pirates are a "record-breaking" baseball team, we can say, but you have to know what sort of qualifiers go in there.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Gnizmo said:

Torillian said:

I disagree that he has justified it.  His argument is that because MW2 was on 2 consoles it has gotten twice the amount of time to sell, but what's the difference between one game on 72 million Wiis and one game on 40 million 360s and 35 million PS3s?  Why is it unfair to compare the two?

"It is by far the fastest time any game has reached 15 million units on a single platform." - TheSource

You have gotten better at ignoring relevant statements (5)

If that's what he wanted to make an article on there's a really simple change.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii Becomes Fastest Game to Top 15m

can become New Super Mario Bros. Wii Becomes Fastest Single Platform Game to Top 15m

otherwise the title is simply wrong, that's the argument I'm making as well as the idea that 2 consoles means double the amount of time on the shelves is ridiculous.

Seece said:

I want to go back to this too. Stupid statement.

Racer A crosses the finish line in 00:59:00, but they didn't get the EXACT time. Racer B crosses the finish line in 02:39:03, the exact time.

Racer B wins.

Is basically what you're saying here.

No. I am saying it doesn't matter how fast a funny car goes when talking about NASCAR. Your argument isn't relevant. Read what is being put in front of you.

This thread is gay.

Seece said:

The fact of the matter is

THIS title "________ is the fastest selling game to top 15 million units"

Belongs to MW2.

You have presented no data to substantiate this. By your own admission yu have to consider all platforms. When you provide PC data you might have a point. Until then you are just making unjustified claims.