By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why is their a news piece about NSMB being fastest game to 15 million?

Gnizmo said:

Also from the news article " It is by far the fastest time any game has reached 15 million units on a single platform." If you had read the actual news post rather than skim it you would know what he is referring to. I am having a hard time following what you are whining about.

I did read it
, and that part is correct. I'm whining about the fact he's trying to put across "Fastest selling game to 15 million" that's incorrect.

Around the Network
Seece said:

Weak argument, but the best that is gonna be had on this topic.

Noone can justify it with a straight face. The game MW2 reached 15 million the fastest, fact.

In the context of the article no it isn't. And until you do the leg work for PC titles you don't even have the information needed to make the claim. You are picking and choosing the data that supports your argument the best, and trying to ignore the rest. Tell me how long it took World of Warcraft, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, Modern Warfare 2, Modern Warfare, World at War, or any number of other titles to reach 15 million including all sales, not from platforms you like, and then you might have a point. Until then you are just making noise.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

TX109 said:
Boutros said:
liamtoh669 said:

Umm, because it's news?

Not that much since it's not really the first game to 15 million. First exclusive game yes though.

that's exactly why it's news. if MW2 were an exclusive, it probably would have still done it faster. unfortunately, it was multiplat, so it doesn't really count in that regard.

Who makes up these arbitrary rules anyhow?

I couldn't care less what game reached 15 millions copies sold faster, but I think Modern Warfare 2 is one game, regardless of how many platforms it is on. If they're referring to games belonging to a specific console, state it as so, otherwise it's just confusing/misleading (unintentional). For a news article, it's an error that should be fixed, I think.

Gnizmo said:
Seece said:

Noone can justify it with a straight face. The game MW2 reached 15 million the fastest, fact.

In the context of the article no it isn't. And until you do the leg work for PC titles you don't even have the information needed to make the claim. You are picking and choosing the data that supports your argument the best, and trying to ignore the rest. Tell me how long it took World of Warcraft, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, Modern Warfare 2, Modern Warfare, World at War, or any number of other titles to reach 15 million including all sales, not from platforms you like, and then you might have a point. Until then you are just making noise.

I agree, we should be using the data we have. We have the data to prove MW2 got their the fastest. Not knowing it's PC sales wouldn't hinder it's feat, only increase it.

Seece said:

I did read it
, and that part is correct. I'm whining about the fact he's trying to put across "Fastest selling game to 15 million" that's incorrect.

So your complaint isn't that he is wrong, but that he jazzed up the title of the article? And you are one of the writers for the site? Reporting 101. Get a catchy line to draw in peoples attention that doesn't actually lie. Bending the truth is fair game. Get over it.

Around the Network
Seece said:
mortono said:

Ask yourself: If MW2 was on a single-platform, say X-BOX, would it have reached 15m that fast?

By the way, why don't we combine platforms of New Super Mario Bros? DS Wii = 35 million. Wow. Best selling game EVAR.

(and this works since everyone says the Wii version is just a DS port as you know)

Again weak, just because they have the same title doesn't mean they're the same game.

MW2 PS360 are the same game.

They don't even have the same title.

He did say on a single console, just not in the title. You disagree with that school of thought (to which I also belong), but that is fine. Given that though, when a game appears both on the 360 and the PC, that game is not an exclusive, agreed? And to determine which film has sold most, you'll of course count the dvd sales as well, correct? And you do agree with me that Silent Hill Shattered memories has done quite well (given its probable budget), having sold roughly 500k according to VGC? Just checking.

Currently Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Anticipating: Xenoblade, The Last Story, Mario Kart 7, Rayman Origins, Zelda SS, Crush3D, Tales of the Abyss 3DS, MGS:Snake Eater 3DS, RE:Revelations, Time Travellers, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, Luigi's Mansion 2, MH TriG, DQ Monsters, Heroes of Ruin

pearljammer said:

Who makes up these arbitrary rules anyhow?

I couldn't care less what game reached 15 millions copies sold faster, but I think Modern Warfare 2 is one game, regardless of how many platforms it is on. If they're referring to games belonging to a specific console, state it as so, otherwise it's just confusing/misleading (unintentional). For a news article, it's an error that should be fixed, I think.

It is stated quite clearly in the article. The article addresses the exact complaints of this thread in fact. It explains perfectly what it is referring to and justifies the reasoning completely.

Gnizmo said:
Seece said:

I did read it

So your complaint isn't that he is wrong, but that he jazzed up the title of the article? And you are one of the writers for the site? Reporting 101. Get a catchy line to draw in peoples attention that doesn't actually lie. Bending the truth is fair game. Get over it.

Ok if you want me to continue proving you wrong stop with the annoying end of paragraph digs, you're just showing yourself up.

You do NOT lie in a title. "Nintendo's New Super Mario Bros. Wii has sold 15 million copies in record time. How big can it get?" that's a lie.

It's incorrect, whatever silly barriers you put in place. It's incorrect reporting.

Gnizmo said:
Seece said:

under that argument isn't Source just making noise until he can prove WoW didn't sell faster than NSMBWii?  I mean Seece is just saying based on the information we have that NSMBWii isn't the fastest selling game to 15 million and your argument is that he shouldn't say that because he can't be sure about the affect of PC game sales, which should apply to Source as well.  He would also be "picking and choosing the data that supports his argument"