By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - OnLive is here and it works!

don't think steam is going anywhere anytime soon at least. I'd rather companies come out with XGP solutions for AMD based netbooks that I can take anywhere than something that requires the internet 100%.

Around the Network
Zlejedi said:
vlad321 said:
richardhutnik said:
KylieDog said:

Seems a waste of money.  Better off just upgrading a PC should you need and getting better performance in pretty much every way.

Try the service now and see why "upgrade a PC" just doesn't match up.  OnLive does more than what you get via a PC upgrade.  It provides no headaches for it.  You also get to see video of people playing, and try the games out for a half hour.  It is very easy to get into also. 

Upgrading a PC isn't the answer for everyone, is actually less of the answer for most people.  People don't mess with the internals as much as core PC gamers think they would.

You also get boring games. Unability to mod. Lag if you don't have good connection, shit graphics, and the list keeps going on and on. Giving out your credit card information when you register also isn't exactly "easy to get into."

I was also mistaken since I didn't read the contract right at first, it wasnt the 2nd year for $5 total, but $5/mo, which I guess is $60 total for the second year. In 2 years I can take the money I save off of OnLive and upgrade my video card so that it new games run flawlessly still.

5$ is promotional price. IIRC final target is 10 or 15 bucks a month. Now if that price included cost of games it would be ok solution similar to game rental subscription but as you have retail like game prices there's no reason to leave pc gaming for it.

I was giving it a best case scenario to further prove my point and for the non-promotional price you would be saving $120-$180 a year so that PC sounds so much more affordable.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Plus you have to pay for higher quality network connection from ISP. Actually anyon knows what's the bandwidth consumed by 720p stream from on-live per hour ? I wonder how big of a hit it would be against bandwidth caps some providers use.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Doobie_wop said:

People who have subscribed on Neogaf are saying that there is some notiable lag at some point's and the resolution on some games are completely janky, is it true? This is a picture of Borderland's running on the service that someone posted, for anyone who's played they game, you can tell that it look's pretty bad.

Maybe I'm nutty but I think that screen shot actually looks great.

But then again, I just got done playing Wii a little while ago. My eyes may just be used to blurry low quality video.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Zlejedi said:

Plus you have to pay for higher quality network connection from ISP. Actually anyon knows what's the bandwidth consumed by 720p stream from on-live per hour ? I wonder how big of a hit it would be against bandwidth caps some providers use.

OnLive just may be ahead of its time. Over time the required ISP speed will be cheaper and more people will own compuers that can handle the requirements of OnLive. Basically, no matter how advanced games get you'll be able to play them on a relatively low end computer. You won't have to get a new machine or change parts just to get more frames in a new game.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
Zlejedi said:

OnLive just may be ahead of its time. Over time the required ISP speed will be cheaper and more people will own compuers that can handle the requirements of OnLive. Basically, no matter how advanced games get you'll be able to play them on a relatively low end computer. You won't have to get a new machine or change parts just to get more frames in a new game.

I see cable companies getting in on this.  OnLive is in need of a bunch of things, as far as being a lucrative business model, but I believe the technology is something that will serve some sort of niche in the industry.

Ahead of it's time? Perhaps with the internet connections.

Where I dislike the serivce is with the subscription costs and such. I'd rather have the PC or console hardware and games then have Onlive.

Mr Puggsly said:
Zlejedi said:

Next year, even netbooks will be able to handle these graphics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ed3InAJhh2k

That's Ontario, AMD's 2011 netbook processor with a GPU die. Together with Llano and Sandy Bridge, netbooks, low-end Dell/HP desktops and cheap laptops will all be able to handle decent PC gaming graphics at 720p or above. No need for OnLive.

Soleron said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Zlejedi said:

Next year, even netbooks will be able to handle these graphics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJD9jWDFcOU

That's Ontario, AMD's 2011 netbook processor with a GPU die. Together with Llano and Sandy Bridge, netbooks, low-end Dell/HP desktops and cheap laptops will all be able to handle decent PC gaming graphics at 720p or above. No need for OnLive. (Ignore the "Llano" name; the demo shown is definitely Ontario)

If you are arguing this about PCs, then can I ask this?  Why does one need a PC for gaming there isn't going to be a need for much more horsepower to render graphics and they won't update?  A console is cheaper than a PC for gaming, and doesn't have the technical issues involved?  So, why even bother getting a PC to do gaming and just stick with consoles?  Oh, you can say "Mods".  Well how many people actually get into mods?

I'm not too interested in onlive but its still good to see it works decently well. 

Apart from that borderlands pic which someone posted hear which just looks terrible.

End of 2012 prediction:

xbox 360 : 73-75 million  playstation 3 : 72-74 million  wii : 104-105 million 

Most hyped for :

Bioshock: infinte, The Last Of Us, Alan Wake's American Nightmare and Agent