By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - OnLive is here and it works!

Mr Puggsly said:

It sure seems like VGChartz is riddled with obnoxious people recently. God forbid I see the advantages of OnLive and the appeal it may have. Its almost like you are personally threatened by this service.

The foreign concept to you seems to be not everyone has a powerful graphics card even though they have a fast processor. Even with lowered settings you can have a choppy frame rate and compatibility issues due to poor graphics hardware.

There are a lot of budget computers on the market today can easily handle OnLIve with no need for additional hardware upgrades. That's the advantage to the service. And if you're a casual PC user, the OnLive service can be much less of a pain in the ass.

It sure seems like VGChartz is riddles with obnoxious people who can't read recently. Did you even read the posts about cost? How much before the money sunk in OnLive is more than a good graphics card?

Edit: To demonstrate my point, you can get a 9800GT for $90-ish buck give or take some depending on the deal/sale. With that I was able to play through Metro 2033 on High/Med and it probably will last me enough for several years to come. The net cost of it is far less thn that of OnLive.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:

It sure seems like VGChartz is riddled with obnoxious people recently. God forbid I see the advantages of OnLive and the appeal it may have. Its almost like you are personally threatened by this service.

The foreign concept to you seems to be not everyone has a powerful graphics card even though they have a fast processor. Even with lowered settings you can have a choppy frame rate and compatibility issues due to poor graphics hardware.

There are a lot of budget computers on the market today can easily handle OnLIve with no need for additional hardware upgrades. That's the advantage to the service. And if you're a casual PC user, the OnLive service can be much less of a pain in the ass.

But EVERY computer is going to have fast-enough graphics next year! Even the budget office ones.

So OnLive's market will peak this year and only decline after.

Once you have that hardware, OnLive won't be easier to use than, say, Steam.

Soleron said:
Mr Puggsly said:

But EVERY computer is going to have fast-enough graphics next year! Even the budget office ones.

You assume every computer will have a high end gaming card. But they definitely won't have the capability to play the latest high end games. Especially laptops.

Also the OnLive micro console will be a great choice for people who have a low end computer and don't want to invest into a new computer.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

vlad321 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

It sure seems like VGChartz is riddles with obnoxious people who can't read recently. Did you even read the posts about cost? How much before the money sunk in OnLive is more than a good graphics card?

Edit: To demonstrate my point, you can get a 9800GT for $90-ish buck give or take some depending on the deal/sale. With that I was able to play through Metro 2033 on High/Med and it probably will last me enough for several years to come. The net cost of it is far less thn that of OnLive.

My point is you don't have to be a douche to get a point across. I obviously know you can get a decent graphics card for around $100. But its not quite that easy for a laptop. And ofcourse, the OnLive micro console is gonna be great for people with a low end computer.

Also, clearly there are a lot of people with disposable income and do not consider long term savings. For example, Xbox Live is a pay service yet it has a very active community. People can play many of the same games online via the PS3 or PC, but they pay for Live anyway.

Have you actually used OnLive yet by the way? Its actually a very impressive service. Also incredibly simple to use.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

dahuman said:

If they are casual with PC, then I think going console is the better way for now, I'm not saying the service won't blossom in the future, I'm just saying with the way some countries are, it's not easy for it to take off.

But the OnLive software is extremely easy to use though. The installation is simple, the interface is simple and doesn't have much settings, you pick a game and it starts. Just as easy as using a console in my opinion.

Seems like hardcore PC gamers hate it. But I see it appealing to the casual market.

Recently Completed

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
vlad321 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

My point is you don't have to be a douche to get a point across. I obviously know you can get a decent graphics card for around $100. But its not quite that easy for a laptop. And ofcourse, the OnLive micro console is gonna be great for people with a low end computer.

Also, clearly there are a lot of people with disposable income and do not consider long term savings. For example, Xbox Live is a pay service yet it has a very active community. People can play many of the same games online via the PS3 or PC, but they pay for Live anyway.

Have you actually used OnLive yet by the way? Its actually a very impressive service. Also incredibly simple to use.

So your point is that people are idiots who will pay more for inferior results? I can get behind that.

Also I have used it, in fact I have 2 separate Founder's Member invitations and I have used only one. Maybe you should REALLY read what I posted earlier in this thread. OnLive out consolifies the consoles, if anythign will happen it will kill off the console market, it  does the pluses of consoles better and all the shortfalls are worse when compared to PCs.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

vlad321 said:

So your point is that people are idiots who will pay more for inferior results? I can get behind that.

Also I have used it, in fact I have 2 separate Founder's Member invitations and I have used only one. Maybe you should REALLY read what I posted earlier in this thread. OnLive out consolifies the consoles, if anythign will happen it will kill off the console market, it  does the pluses of consoles better and all the shortfalls are worse when compared to PCs.

Bingo! But I don't think that makes them idiots. Does it get lonely on your pedestal up there?

Am I writing your biography? I'm not gonna read everything you post.

I hightly doubt it'll kill the console market. But lets hope it gives a nice boost to PC software sales. I mean what if some major titles were only released via OnLive? That would definitely be a crippling blow to piracy.

Recently Completed

Mr Puggsly said:
vlad321 said:

Bingo! But I don't think that makes them idiots. Does it get lonely on your pedestal up there?

Am I writing your biography? I'm not gonna read everything you post.

I hightly doubt it'll kill the console market. But lets hope it gives a nice boost to PC software sales. I mean what if some major titles were only released via OnLive? That would definitely be a crippling blow to piracy.

It could also easily be a crippling blow to the revenue from PC games, since many people don't have a good enough connection for Onlive, and it's not even available in the whole world yet. Europe is the biggest PC games market I believe.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Mr Puggsly said:
Soleron said:

You assume every computer will have a high end gaming card. But they definitely won't have the capability to play the latest high end games. Especially laptops.

Also the OnLive micro console will be a great choice for people who have a low end computer and don't want to invest into a new computer.

Please read what I wrote.

Next year, EVERY COMPUTER WHETHER IT HAS A GRAPHICS CARD OR NOT will have good enough graphics to play PC games, because EVERY SINGLE NEW CPU will have a "high-end gaming card" equivalent actually on the CPU itself. Even netbook CPUs.

Yes, OnLive will still be an option for those people who won't buy a new PC next year. But that market can only shrink from this year, as people replace their computers anyway. And again, even if they buy THE CHEAPEST MODEL FROM DELL OR HP it will be able to play decent PC games.

Sorry for allcaps but you completely failed to read the first sentence of my post you quoted.

AMD's mainstream laptop CPU, Llano, will have the same number of shaders as an HD 5670, which can play all of the very latest games at playable framerates on medium settings at OnLive's 720p resolution.

AMD's netbook CPU, Ontario, can play Alien v. Predator at playable framerates on medium settings at 720p too. And since a netbook is the least powerful form of PC one can buy...

You can buy the lowest spec Xbox 360 for what? $150 - $200 ? so if the OnLive micro console is over $100 then they're really failing there.

Me, I'm just surprised the technology actually works.