By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Its time to admit it. PS3 will NEVER overtake 360.

jneul said:

I can't wait to start a crow eating thread when GT5 get's ps3 to sell in huge amounts again....

No one said GT5 wouldn't make PS3's sell.  In fact I think its pretty universally agreed upon that GT5 will sell many PS3's.

Not enough to overtake the 360 in lifetime sales, though.

Around the Network
jarrod said:
steverhcp02 said:

I say thsi with confidence only because of the strength of EU and Japan combined with the fact the PS3 still has price cut boosts left.....

5 million Japanese consoles sold in 4 years isn't exactly what I'd call "strength".  It's what I'd call "Nintendo 64".

I never realized the PS3's base in Japan was that low; for Pete's sake after receiving nearly all the best games that 3rd parties could create I'd figure it would be higher- at least like 7m. Gran Turismo, a PS3 Slimmer, and another price drop in Q4 2011 will help the PS3 worldwide, but US is a lost cause. The 360 is too strong over there.

Damn, 5.31m in Japan...unbelievable

jneul said:

I can't wait to start a crow eating thread when GT5 get's ps3 to sell in huge amounts again....

Why would you? By doing that it would be a flamebaiting thread, thus giving you a ban, which would be longer because you have been banned for that before.

Former something....

I hate certain fans reactions to all of this, really, I remember saying back on ps3 slim release to give it time to check and see if it was going to be a permanent change...

Leaving this site until certain people get their heads out of cloud land....

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

I used to think PS3 would overtake 360 at least by last year or this year.  That hasn't happened yet but I know that PS3 will eventually overtake 360 due to fact Sony will keep it around longer than the 360.  This generation has seen tons of sales but Microsoft and Sony haven't made too much profit yet.  Selling systems at a loss for a few years is never a good strategy.  I'd like to see profit charts of all three companies (just video game division for Sony and Microsoft (even though PC games would be included for Sony and Microsoft).  Nintendo probably destroys them in profit (except recently against Microsoft due to the strong yen).

Around the Network

nah. cut PS3's price by $99 again and it will take 2nd place easy.

Are we really basing this on just 2 weeks of the 360 Slim being releaseed in America, it's STRONGEST region?  And with price-cuts and a new model in Japan, it was only able to net 17K (still came in last place, as well).  Within a few weeks, it will be back to ~ 4-6K.  And I'll be surprised if the 360 sells well over 100K when it launches in EMEAA.  ~80K would be my guess.  In America, sales will definitely stay strong for a few weeks, but they will eventually drop.  Of course, it will be slightly above previous numbers when they do.  You also need to recognize that PS3 sales didn't drop because of the new Slim.  So, 360 has not killed PS3 in America.

To those who honestly think PS3 will not pass 360, what do you think is going to happen in EMEAA when GT5 launches?  Or more importantly, when PS3 FINALLY has a $199 SKU?  The PS3 will pass 360.  Of course, it won't be because of America, but because of Japan and EMEAA.  Though, on second thought, I bet a $199 PS3 will outsell the 360 even in America.

@ Hyruken

I gave up reading your post when you said that MS had basically done nothing when and since the PS3 Slim launch.  You do realise that the 360 Elite got a $100 price-cut right along the PS3, right?  The Pro also got a $50 price-cut to clear out stock.  So, you had a $199 Arcade, a $249 Pro, and a $299 Elite.  And yet, it wasn't able to beat out a system who's lowest entry price was $299.  So, I'll ask you the same thing I asked in the previous paragraph.  What do you think is going to happen when the PS3 hits $199?  Heck, even $249?

why do we still have the same discussion....above charts speaks for itself.... Xbox360 aint doint very strong against PS3 WW. PS3 will eventually take over Xbox360, no matter how many discussions we have.

This Holiday, ps3 will definitely sell more than its other years. It'll be a good year for ps3, but just not as good as 360 and, of course, Wii. But 360 wont beat ps3 sales because of kinect, it'll beat it because of its games, like Halo reach.

The Official 'The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword' Thread (Updated):
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=134508&page=1
dsgrue3 said:
GodOfWar_3ever said:

With the recent launch of the slim and Kinect coming up, 360 will see massive sales this holiday...more than the PS3 by a very large margin, increasing the gap again.

The gap is too big and the 360 will always be popular in America, no matter what price the PS3 is. 

Its obvious that the 149$ clearance sale arcade also has had a big impact in these sales.

No...you're speculating extremely high sales which I do not see occurring.

Took the words right out of my mouth.  I can help but 

Currently playing

MLB 09: The Show(PS3)