By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - EA Excited over Ps3 sales "Target"

celine said:
leo-j said:
Its nowhere near impossible.

If it hits 8 million by december 31st, it has to sell a million units per month. They might make it.

SCE forecast isn't 11 millions PS3 units sold to retailers LTD but 11 millions PS3 units sold to retailers in current fiscal year.

Does someone remember in this first half of fiscal year how many PS3 units SCE reports to have sold ?

I've checked SCE has sold ( to retailers ) 2.02 millions PS3 units in its firts half FY.

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/fr/07q2_eleki.pdf 

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

Around the Network

About EA statement: Sony says they'll be shipping 11M units this fiscal year, which actually means shipping 14.5M units at the end of March 2008. No way they'll reach that amount of shipped units unless they are going to do a record breaking amount of channel stuffing.

@Leo-j
If you really think PS3 will sell 1M units per month in the January-March period you are completely out of touch with reality. They might just get there in November and in December they will get above 1M, but if we look at 2007 they haven't even come close outside the holiday season.

Edit: I see some people already corrected EA's statement. 

well since 13 oct they sold about +-200k a week

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Well -- maybe it's 11 million total lifetime. 8*>

OK -- enough of the cheeky comments. But considering that the PS3 LTD just moved pass the Intellivision on the all-time sales charts, moving 11M in the 2007-08 Sony fiscal year seems highly unlikely. Moving 11M LTD by that time may be possible.

Mike from Morgantown

PS -- I figure I will get a PS3 in 2010 +/- 1 year.

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

darthdevidem said:
@NJ5

are you sure it's not just 11 MILLION Lifetime by march 08 (which in itself is hard)

Pretty sure. Financial forecasts are always for the fiscal year, not life-to-date. You can find many articles confirming this, such as:

http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/10/25/business/sony.php

Sony's chief financial officer, Nobuyuki Oneda, said Thursday that it might miss its target to sell 11 million PS3 consoles this fiscal year.

The only way they can achieve this is by shipping thousands of PS3 to each official Sony store before 31st of March 2008.

When Sony does their next quarterly report (should be out in January), they'll have to decrease the forecast, unless they want the worst thing to happen - to miss their forecast in March which would guarantee another round of doom and gloom for the PS3 in the media and everywhere.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

I don't see it happening ... The PS3 remains the worst selling console on the market in the middle of the Christmas shopping season after having a price cut and releasing all of their good games that are due before their fiscal year end; after Christmas the PS3 will likely return to average sales in the 333,000 per month range.

HappySqurriel said:

I don't see it happening ... The PS3 remains the worst selling console on the market in the middle of the Christmas shopping season after having a price cut and releasing all of their good games that are due before their fiscal year end; after Christmas the PS3 will likely return to average sales in the 333,000 per month range.

since pricecut lowest amount of ps3 sold is about 140k in a week.

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

^^

Last PS3 price cut was near Christmas. And nope, Sony is unlikely to hit its target. 9.5-10M maybe.

@nj5

in that case

"unprecedented channel stuffing"

unless SONY wishes to get HUGE bad Media stuff

Supporter of

SONY & Nintendo

Consoles owned - SNES, N64, PS, GC, PS2, PSP, PS3

I DO NOT support Xbox

My prediction for YEARS END:

WII - 18.3 Million

Xbox 360 - 15 Million

Playstation 3 - 8.5 Million

kirby007 said:
HappySqurriel said:

since pricecut lowest amount of ps3 sold is about 140k in a week.

Since the price cut the Wii has averaged over 400,000 per week ... There is a little shopping event called "Christmas" which impacts the rate things sell at which happens to end well before Sony's fiscal year